Does it have to be PROBABLE, too?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Does a story have to be simply possible? Or does it need to be probable too? Does it have to be the most likely course of events given the historical record, or just one of the possibilites?

I'm working on the Diamond Necklace Affair as some of you know. The story I'm writing is entirely possible: I've followed the written accounts as best I could given that they contradict themselves no less each other. It's plausible: the character conforms more or less to the historical character and the things that I added in my story are things that she would not have revealed at trial. However, it's not probable: the end result doesn't seem like the likeliest scenario, but it COULD have happened.

When writing/reading, are you put off if a story doesn't seem probable? Or are you intrigued by the fact that it's possible?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could always put in a simple little note before getting involved with the "possible" scenario.

Something like (an example only): "While it can only be speculation, it's possible that [something that could occur]; while this may not be probably given the fact of the case, it is at least plausible and worth considering . . . "

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I don't think you have to (or should be) limited by sticking with the "probable". If something could have happened within the established timeline, evidence, etc, I'd call that fair game.

Heck, I'm planning on making a very prominent character of the next WIP a homosexual. There's nothing attesting to this in the sources, but then there wouldn't be, given the attitudes of the 6th century church. But making this individual a homosexual would explain a lot of bizarre interpersonal behavior.

Was it probable that this individual was gay? I don't know, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility...

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Think in terms of other genres, specifically sci-fi and mainstream that borders on sci-fi. Was Jurassic Park possible, probable, or not even possible? Think about the fiction books/movies about volcanoes erupting somewhere - possible, probably; probable, ? Or even the James Patterson woman killing books.

In a case like this, I don't think you should limit your thought process to just historical fiction. But, if you're concerned because it is historical fiction and based on real events, include an author's note at the beginning saying something like - No one knows exactly what happened in the Diamond Necklace Affair, the historic record is incomplete. But, after reading and reviewing all the documentation available, I chose to present the story as it appears in this book because - it could have happened this way.

Hope that helps. Puma

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Posiible and plausible, yes. But probable? No! Probably nothing interesting will happen today. If you put a random man and woman in a room together, there will probably be no romance or intrigue. There is probably no one with a credible plot to topple the House of Windsor right now. That stranger who just cut me off in traffic is probably not my long-lost nemesis and twin cousin.

Etc, etc...

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Posiible and plausible, yes. But probable? No! Probably nothing interesting will happen today. If you put a random man and woman in a room together, there will probably be no romance or intrigue. There is probably no one with a credible plot to topple the House of Windsor right now. That stranger who just cut me off in traffic is probably not my long-lost nemesis and twin cousin.

Etc, etc...

Haha, true 'nough, Richard.

I definitely plan to include a very long author's note, probably at the end. I'll explain exactly how much came from the lips of the people involved (a lot), how much of that is rubbish (a lot), and what I tihnk actually went down two hundred twenty five years ago (*probably* it was the simplest explanation: that the La Mottes made off with the diamonds and the payments for the necklace). I'm actually looking forward to that!