The biggest mistake you can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
In response to the original question:
I do not believe there is such thing as a 'worst' pitfall, there are a multitude of pitfalls, and they can all be seen as bad to varying degrees, depending on who you speak to.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Without time everything is simultaneous. There is no "before" and "after", so the idea of moving a nuclear explosion makes no sense. To the being outside, there would be a before, when it was at Hiroshima, and an after, where it is at Chicago, because the being would know that it had moved it.

It requires time to measure space, because there would be a before, during, and after the measurement.

I suspect the source of this confusion is the result of the phenomoena of time dilation, which is a real effect which can be measured. It gives many people the false impression that time is changeable.

In truth, when we measure "time", what we are really measuring is the rate of change of matter. This rate of change varies with velocity through the universe, because c is a constant, with respect to time. This rate of change is measurable against the absolute of time.

No, I think you are a bit off here and using a one dimensional model when you need a multidimensional one.

Since you seem to have some training in physics, lets expand the concept of being able to step out of time vs. free will vs predictive ability.

Think of the uncertainty principle and then think of quantum physics. If you were able to step out of time and then look at the normal flow of time, your view point would correspond to one reference frame. However, if any version of you is within 'the past' then you have in effect created a transcendental equation or rather, an equation in which the independant variable cannot be isolated from the dependant variable.

The result of this type of equation would be multiple dimensions. These multiple dimensions would correspond to multiple possibilities which then ties back to quantum physics and how there is a probability associated with 'an outcome'.

If I was to try to wrap all of this up into a nutshell. If you have the ability to step out of time and look at time, then yes, you can predict. However, if that 'prediction' funnels back into the timeline, that prediction will create multiple splits and outcomes.

If you are jumping around time, then this will also happen as you will inadvertantly impact the timeline.

This does not mean that there is no such thing as free will. Just because I can predict that you will go to school tomorrow does not negate the 'free will' choices you will make to get to school.

Basically, Uncle Jim is right :D

Mel...

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Without time everything is simultaneous. There is no "before" and "after", so the idea of moving a nuclear explosion makes no sense. To the being outside, there would be a before, when it was at Hiroshima, and an after, where it is at Chicago, because the being would know that it had moved it.

It requires time to measure space, because there would be a before, during, and after the measurement.

I suspect the source of this confusion is the result of the phenomoena of time dilation, which is a real effect which can be measured. It gives many people the false impression that time is changeable.

In truth, when we measure "time", what we are really measuring is the rate of change of matter. This rate of change varies with velocity through the universe, because c is a constant, with respect to time. This rate of change is measurable against the absolute of time.
All you say here is true for those of us in the so-called "real" world. (That would be all of us, actually--the rest of this is a thought experiment.) I can put into my head the concept of infinity, of more than three dimensions of space (and by extrapolation, of time), and yet I can't draw a picture of it, model it in clay, or write a computer program that absolutely defines anything other than what you say is possible.

Fine for fiction, but dead as Tutankhamen in reality, as Einstein clearly proved.
Well, sure. This is, after all, a discussion forum all about writing speculative fiction. If we must insist the discussion only deals with reality, then maybe it should be bumped up to the Science Fact subforum. ;) (And anyway, I did say, "if we assume...".)

Think of the uncertainty principle and then think of quantum physics. If you were able to step out of time and then look at the normal flow of time, your view point would correspond to one reference frame. However, if any version of you is within 'the past' then you have in effect created a transcendental equation or rather, an equation in which the independant variable cannot be isolated from the dependant variable.
If I was to try to wrap all of this up into a nutshell. If you have the ability to step out of time and look at time, then yes, you can predict. However, if that 'prediction' funnels back into the timeline, that prediction will create multiple splits and outcomes.

If you are jumping around time, then this will also happen as you will inadvertantly impact the timeline.
I emphasize the word "if" in dgiharris' comment, because it reinforces the notion that this is, after all, a discussion of speculation.

Basically, Uncle Jim is right :D
QFT

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
This is why fiction is fiction - and fun :D

Look at something like the concept of a quantum computer - every eventuality possible calculated at the same time. If in all those eventualities, something happens 92% of the time, it's a safe bet that for you it will happen. It would seem like you're reading the future when in fact you're simply interpreting data that no one else has access to.

You've also got the possibility of using the POV of an infinite being compared to a finite being. While time seems to go on forever to something finite, to something infinite it doesn't, it's merely a cross section with a defined beginning and end. We define time by the movement of the earth (on its axis and around the sun) but that's not a universal constant (it's certainly not a multi-universal constant) so a being who doesn't use the reference point of that rotation time doesn't mean the same thing. If an infinite being is observing a finite universe, it's a bit like watching a movie with the ability to fast forward and rewind.

jhmcmullen

Registered
Reaction score
Just to add one more weight to the scales in favour of THE DEMOLISHED MAN. It's a seminal work of science fiction, and given that it's now well over fifty years old, remains remarkably readable while many of its contemporaries seem very dusty. I'm envious that you have the pleasure of coming to it for the first time.

(Check out Bester's THE STARS MY DESTINATION too, if you have time.)

And another vote.

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
Fine, if you all insist on talking fiction instead of truth, then time is a pretzel stuck to an M&M. I'm sure the Pastafarians can relate.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
Just that Foundation saga is 7 volumes all in all.

Unless you include the robot novels and the empire novels, which Asimov eventually linked in. And unless you include the Foundation novels written by The Killer B's (Greg Bear, Greg Benford, David Brin). If you include all of those, there are 18 volumes. A few years ago I read them all in story-chronology order, and quite enjoyed them.

Dale

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
Social costs rather than direct personal costs

In my fantasy novel, a 12 year old boy gains the ability to increase or decrease people's desire to say what they are thinking. This ability isn't telepathy, exactly, but it's similarly powerful and has a somewhat similar effect, so I thought I'd explain what I'm doing, and why I have no direct costs for using the magic. I do have limitations, indirect costs, and a big one-time cost for gaining magical ability.

The limitations are: First, a mage can influence only one person at a time. Second, use of the magic requires the mage's full attention, which leaves the mage vulnerable for the duration. Third, the use of magic is visible to other mages in the area, so you can't influence people in secret. (This third limitation matters only later in the story; at first there are no other mages to observe the boy's use of magic.)

The main reason I don't want direct costs for using magic is that I'm deliberately setting up a "tragedy of the commons" problem for a later book, after magic has become widespread: There's a large but finite pool of stuff that fuels the magic; each use consumes a tiny but non-zero amount of the magical stuff; there's a way to replenish the stuff, but it's onerous; and there's no direct cost for using the magical stuff. So though each use has no direct cost for the user, it does have a cost to the community in that it diminishes the pool of available magic. In the later book want to explore how society quakes when the stock of magical stuff runs low, the cost of use is low, and the cost of replenishing is onerous.

More importantly for the first book: The social costs of of having this ability are high enough to cause enormous problems. We all have secrets and other thoughts that we very much want to keep private. If you knew that this kid could make you say what you're thinking, then when you're near him you're probably more likely to think of the things you're afraid he'll make you say. People ain't gonna like having this kid around. In the first book, it's these social costs that I want to explore.

There is one big cost (or at least a risk) associated with gaining magical ability in the first place. To gain magic, you must have a near-death experience in a particular place (the source of the magical stuff). The "near" part of "near-death" is problematic. There's significant chance that you'll end up not only nearly dead, but really most sincerely dead. But once you've survived that, the mage pays no direct cost for each use.

Given all of that, I think I'm okay making the use of magic "free."

Dale

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
And this thought process is precisely what led Donald Bellisario to create "Quantum Leap."

:D

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
The biggest mistake you can make is assuming you know the biggest mistake. Anything can be done, IF it's done well. Taking something safe (and probably boring) and doing it badly IS a big mistake (the biggest? Meybbe, meybbe not.)

Welcome to spec. fic.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Not to mention no one thought to read the fine print that said "Hamster required for proper operation."

Status
Not open for further replies.