Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lands Atlantic Publishing LLC

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar

Lands Atlantic Publishing LLC

Has anyone dealt with this group? I found them through PM. They appear to be fairly new, specializing in childrens/YA fiction. They also appear to be committed to actually getting their books on store shelves. Any info would be appreciated.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar

Their submissions page says "Our books are released in either hardcover or trade paperback to leading distributors and retail outlets" but they do not appear to yet have a single book out (or listed with Amazon). There's no info on staff etc, either.

The Lands Atlantic site is owned by Shelena Shorts of Virginia. There is a woman in Virginia with the same name who appears to have written a romance novel (http://shelenashorts.com/Home_Page.html). She was looking for an agent/publisher in April 09. The Lands Atlantic site was registered in May 09. I'm guessing there's a connection here.....

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Frandavea, they have yet to publish anything, and there's a typo on their front page.

Saying they're committed to actually getting their books on store shelves does nothing. What you want is a publisher that's already demonstrated their ability to do so.

Cold-hearted but solid advice: let Lands Atlantic experiment on other writers' books. Publishers who screw up get second chances. Screwed-up books don't.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

And now, competing in the Olympic Synchronized Stereophonic Comment event, are...

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Ya, nothing on site about who's behind it, and the one book listed on PM page is by owner of site. Pass.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
    And now, competing in the Olympic Synchronized Stereophonic Comment event, are...
    Hee. Worse, I had all that info first, but had to take a phone call. *sniffle*
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Do I get a prize for winning? :-)

Synchronized. The win is for simultaneity, so if we forgive Cao Paux his phone call, it just becomes a bigger win.

Frandavea definitely can't complain about getting conflicting advice.

Please tell me we don't all have to wave our legs in the air at the same time...

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    Do I get a prize for winning? :-)
    No, put you get the Frandavea Appreciation award for this: "Let Lands Atlantic experiment on other writers' books. Publishers who screw up get second chances. Screwed-up books don't."

You need to put that on a tee-shirt, my friend.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Red face lands atlantic publishing

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here. I just wanted to mention that Lands Atlantic Publishing has a PM page and the owner is a certain Lisa Paul, not the author Unimportant quoted as being the owner.

Shelena Shorts has a book called The Pace which is being published by LAP and I'm supposing will be released this year.
    Last edited by bookgirl71; 06-09-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Ms. Paul may own the company, but the website is registered to Ms. Shorts; she is more to the company that just their first author.

ETA: e.g, it's incorporated in Virgina under Ms. Shorts' name....
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 06-09-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: more info
    ICAO
    ---------

Hello Everyone!
    It is amazing how quickly word spreads!! This is great, but I would like to clarify some concerns. Yes, I am the author of THE PACE and it is being released through a publishing company that I partner.
    At first, I simply wanted to publish my book, but Lisa Paul not only wanted to back The PACE, she wanted to publish books for other authors as well. So, she made a deal- literally and now she owns and heads up the entire expansion of Lands Atlantic Publishing. I do not handle any submissions, nor do I have the power to offer deals. It all comes to and from her. And I have to tell you, she does a great job. The Pace will be released August 19th, and the editing and book design process has been fabulous. But, I totally understand your skepticism with not using a proven, large publisher. I was there too, but for me, it all boiled down to believing in my book enough to find a way to get it out there.
    I wish you all the best in your endeavors. My advice would be to go with your gut- query big, hope big, and I wish you the best! But if you don’t get your “yes,” and are willing to start out with a small press, go ahead and query her. Lands Atlantic is an honest, family operated company that was built on the foundation of believing in a book and wanting to make things happen for others as wellJ. Only time will tell of its success, but there are some great books coming out in the near future, and that is exciting!! Thanks to all who visited my website! The Pace’s cover design will be added soon if you want to check it out!
    J
    Last edited by PACEWRITER; 06-11-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Pacewriter, could you clarify:

You started Lands Atlantic, but then sold the company to Lisa Paul? And Lisa Paul is a member of your family? And you remain a partner in the company, but it is owned and headed by Lisa Paul?

practical experience, FTW
    Greetings, and welcome! I really enjoyed reading your response to the discussion about LAP. A similar thread was started by Xpress Yourself Publishing that took a drastic turn for the worse. You handled critisism with grace and style. Thank you for that.

Now, question: Does LAP offer advances to it's authors? If so, is it based on net? Or retail?
    Quote Originally Posted by PACEWRITER View Post
    Hello Everyone!
    It is amazing how quickly word spreads!! This is great, but I would like to clarify some concerns. Yes, I am the author of THE PACE and it is being released through a publishing company that I partner.
    At first, I simply wanted to publish my book, but Lisa Paul not only wanted to back The PACE, she wanted to publish books for other authors as well. So, she made a deal- literally and now she owns and heads up the entire expansion of Lands Atlantic Publishing. I do not handle any submissions, nor do I have the power to offer deals. It all comes to and from her. And I have to tell you, she does a great job. The Pace will be released August 19th, and the editing and book design process has been fabulous. But, I totally understand your skepticism with not using a proven, large publisher. I was there too, but for me, it all boiled down to believing in my book enough to find a way to get it out there.
    I wish you all the best in your endeavors. My advice would be to go with your gut- query big, hope big, and I wish you the best! But if you don’t get your “yes,” and are willing to start out with a small press, go ahead and query her. Lands Atlantic is an honest, family operated company that was built on the foundation of believing in a book and wanting to make things happen for others as wellJ. Only time will tell of its success, but there are some great books coming out in the near future, and that is exciting!! Thanks to all who visited my website! The Pace’s cover design will be added soon if you want to check it out!
    J

It'd be great if Lisa Paul herself could pop on over and answer Doomie's questions, and also to specify who are the "leading distributors" that LAP uses.

Hmm, either Ms Paul has gotten herself tied up; or the questions I asked may reveal more than Ms Paul would care to share for business reasons. Well, as long as she's successful without hurting others. Bless her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    It'd be great if Lisa Paul herself could pop on over and answer Doomie's questions, and also to specify who are the "leading distributors" that LAP uses.

LandsAtlantic Publishing

On a whim I queried Ms. Paul on 6/9. I just recieved an email from her saying she read my sample with interest and would like to invite me to send the next 5 chapters.

It appears that they offer small advances.

Lands Atlantic

LandsAtlantic requested my full.
    And yes, they will have distribution.

Wish me luck!

Congrats!!! And the best of wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bookgirl71 View Post
    LandsAtlantic requested my full.
    And yes, they will have distribution.

Wish me luck!

Doomie

I've been offered a contract!

My search is over.

How long was the process? That's great!

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    That seemed kinda...quick. You say they have distribution, but have they said which channels they distribute through? Or did they just say 'oh we have distribution'?
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Yeah, that's kinda why I asked. Not to challenge you or them, per se; rather, to try to get a better understanding of the overall process.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast