AlGore, please comment

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone here name the single biggest polluter on the planet?

To make it simpler, it's the same organization responsible for spreading depleted uranium all over the middle east.

Final clue: It's the same organization a lot of people are calling on to clean up the mess.

How come the foxes always end up guarding the hen house, and nobody suspects what's happening to the hens?

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
I love to read Dm in denial" in the morning. It smells like. . .
WTF?
1. You have no idea what technologies I am talking about, thus you can't make your claim stick
2. Your insinuation that everything is driven by the green movement is complete bs. There are efficiency concerns, easier technologies, size and a myriad other considerations. Furthemore, to claim that these technologies that are also cleaner wouldn't have been developed unless there was a GW scare is nothing more than your opinion. One which you have no way of proving.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone here name the single biggest polluter on the planet?

To make it simpler, it's the same organization responsible for spreading depleted uranium all over the middle east.

Final clue: It's the same organization a lot of people are calling on to clean up the mess.

How come the foxes always end up guarding the hen house, and nobody suspects what's happening to the hens?

The Red Cross??

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
The best discussion I’ve seen about the evolution of the planet was that the atmosphere was originally heavy in carbon dioxide and not much oxygen. Then plant life began, and over a few billion years the plants consumed the CO2 and created O2, changing the atmosphere, and making aerobic animal life possible. I assume that process never ended, but the changes in CO2 and O2 are so gradual they can’t be measured. Now suddenly the intelligent animals have figured out how to measure it and are all concerned. How do we know but that Earth has finally reached some sort of equilibrium, and the CO2 and O2 are now varying in a small, sinusoidal pattern of, say, 60 years, causing the temperatures to vary in the same pattern?

Or, have the animals killed enough plants that this change that took a few billion years has been reversed? Is the age of the plants at a minimum and the age of animals peaking? When will we reach a new equilibrium? Or will we ever?

Or, has the Earth given us too few volcanic eruptions over the last 60 years, resulting in too little natural, fine particulates in the atmosphere to screen out just enough sunlight to keep the temperature balanced? And, if this is true, is this due to a gradual cooling of the Earth’s core that results in a gradual warming of the gaseous blanket around the Earth’s crust? Or, is this cutback in volcanic activity a natural and cyclical phenomenon that will reverse itself over the next century? If the Earth’s core is cooling irreversibly, then we are probably down to our last billion years, don’t you think? Or, rather than the Earth’s core cooling, might the crust be hardening and allowing fewer volcanic eruptions?

The issue is extremely complex. I don’t believe the human animal knows enough to say definitively that global warming, if it truly exists, is a human caused, irreversible (or reversible) trend. I personally feel the loss of forests might be a better argument for manmade global warming—if an acre of forest is more efficient than an acre of row crops or pasture at consuming CO2 and producing O2.

Best regards,
NDG

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I personally feel the loss of forests might be a better argument for manmade global warming—if an acre of forest is more efficient than an acre of row crops or pasture at consuming CO2 and producing O2.
I agree. I believe the continued loss of forests will have consequences far beyond what we are now dealing with.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Actually, the biggest sinks for CO2 aren't plants, but oceans. Also, higher CO2 levels favor richer vegetation. But I agree that deforestation is a problem (I am actually glad that Israel has a positive balance in this respect -- more trees are being planted than cut down).

EDIT: By the way, though the CO2 levels today are rather unprecedented in terms of thousands of years, the temperatures are definitely not
The earth had been hotter by a couple of degrees in the last twelve thousand years (well, at least the Northern hemisphere was)

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
That's okay. Chances are good that no one at AW--with the possible exception of Haggis--knows what I'm talking about.

I know Buddy Hackett, but not picking up on which joke you're referring to.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
(I've really been struggling to keep my mouth shut on this topic but can no longer stand it.)

Every time any creature exhales, they produce CO2! So, animals are the greatest polluters on the planet.

If we're so deep in the middle of "global warming" why do forecasters claim that a major part of the upper midwest of the United States WILL NOT EXPERIENCE SUMMER THIS YEAR?????

IMHO, this stuff about Global Warming is the biggest pile of garbage put out by a bunch of nuts who are still living in Hippy communes.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Wolf! Wolf! Wolf! :D
2209984660100527759S500x500Q85.jpg

2146545290100527759S500x500Q85.jpg

It amazes me that people who were intelligent enough to smell the bullshit when FedGov was screaming about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq can't get their noses clear about this issue, when there is exactly as much evidence as there was of those weapons.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
(I've really been struggling to keep my mouth shut on this topic but can no longer stand it.)

Every time any creature exhales, they produce CO2! So, animals are the greatest polluters on the planet.

ARG!!! This is the most annoying argument. YES, Humans and all respirating creatures exhale CO2. Plants take IN CO2 and put OUT O2. It is a PERFECT SYMBIOTIC SYSTEM. Plants and animals cannot live without each other.

The PROBLEM arises when there is MORE CO2 than plants can take in and convert to O2 - the extra just hangs around in the atmosphere. We GET all that extra from a) cutting down too many trees, b) having too many people and animals (though by planting more trees we could balance that) and c) making things that put out more CO2 than any civilization could in the history of humankind. Cars, industry, etc... put out tons of Carbon that only add to the imbalance.

This is extremely simplistic, but it's basic Earth Science. Plants need CO2, energy, and water and give off O2 as a by product. Animals need O2 and put out CO2 and water vapor. We've gotten the system all caddywonkus by pumping out more CO2 than the current vegetation (including vegetation that lives in the oceans) can handle, and it's building up.