SFF Book study - July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, let's have at it. SF is up for July. Kitty Pryde suggested Space Opera. Who's got a book to recommend? Something popular that we can learn from. And please remember an amazon link to make things easier for everyone (particularly me! ;) )

I'll put the poll up on Monday for just 48 hours, so keep an eye out and cast your vote!

And for those of you still reading The Once and Future King, :whip:

I mean, there's plenty of time left in the month. Which is good since I've yet to recieve my copy!

Cheers!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good suggestion. Dune almost made the poll before iirc.

However, I'm getting crickets. Either everyone is gone for the weekend or the book study needs a summer holiday.

However. If a few of you can agree on a book, then we can certainly go through the motions and have a mini discussion.

What say you, folks?

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
I'd make a suggestion, but I'm not familiar enough with space opera to feel comfortable with doing so. Sorry.

Would I be wrong to think that something by Lois McMaster Bujold could go on the list?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A quick google search says Bujold fits or partially fits depending on the title. I could suggest Cordelia's Honor, but I put it down after Book I (of II). But maybe someone else would be more keen, or there's another Bujold title that would be good.

Glory road - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0671877046/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Any more thoughts/ideas?

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how "educational" a book it would be, but "Have Spacesuit--Will Travel" is also a good, fun space opera. Would Asimov's Foundation count as Space Opera? Or, for even more of a twist on space exploration, how about Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles? All of these are pretty short, so they'd make a good break after the doorstopper that is The Once and Future King.

I'm just tossing these out, since "space opera" isn't one of my more familiar subgenres.

Status
Not open for further replies.