Why doesn't someone invent a healthy cigarette?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you have to draw a distinction here between physical and psychical addiction. You can get phsychically addicted to anything, substances that cause physical addiction are a bit different. And generally bad for you, even if the only side effect are the withdrawal symptoms. And the most potent ones can actually cause withdrawal symptons so sever that it's impossible to ever get off them. Opiates are an example.

It's difficult, but not impossible. I assure you.

Secret IMF Cheif: Can you do it?

Ethan Hunt: It will be difficult.

Secret IMF Cheif: Well, this is Mission Impossible, not Mission Difficult. This should be a walk in the park for you.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's difficult, but not impossible. I assure you.
There is such a thing as impossible. For people who have been using opium a lot, over a long term for example it is not too uncommon that getting them off the drug is impossible because their body just shuts down if it's taken of the drug. Some substances get so integrated into your biochemistry after a while that removing them is lethal.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is such a thing as impossible. For people who have been using opium a lot, over a long term for example it is not too uncommon that getting them off the drug is impossible because their body just shuts down if it's taken of the drug. Some substances get so integrated into your biochemistry after a while that removing them is lethal.

I, like Alice, try to do three impossible things everyday before breakfast.

Look, I just got out of rehab for opium addiction. It's possible to go cold turkey--or else, I'm dead, and I just haven't noticed yet.

Are there extreme cases, sure.

You'll forgive me, if I just don't do impossible. I don't care for the word.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I, like Alice, try to do three impossible things everyday before breakfast.
That's nice for you. You might like this poster: http://despair.com/limitations.html :D
Look, I just got out of rehab for opium addiction. It's possible to go cold turkey--or else, I'm dead, and I just haven't noticed yet.
I'm pretty sure i didn't say that every single opiate addiction is exactly the same. It's always the dose that's important. In large quantities, water can be fatal.
You'll forgive me, if I just don't do impossible. I don't care for the word.
Sure. Though i prefer not to let my likes and dislikes for words influence my opinions of concepts.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a reference for this? I've never heard anything like that.

In extreme cases going cold turkey can cause health problems or death (DT's from suddenly stopping chronic alcohol consumption is a classic example), but I've never heard of a case where one couldn't be gradually weaned off of a drug.

GregB

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe there's an obvious answer to this question that I am missing. It seems like a cigarette that did not lead to health problems would be a goldmine for the cigarette industry. Why doesn't someone do it?

Tom Dark already did this, in 1985.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Though i prefer not to let my likes and dislikes for words influence my opinions of concepts.

Gosh, you just don't know me that well.

BTW, stating publicly that some people CAN'T quit because they might die, will almost assuredly guarrantee that someone out there won't TRY to quit. 99.3% of addicts can quit their addictions safely (yes, there may be considerable discomfort).

I have always believed that if there were people who could do something, then I could do it too. To some that's arrogance, to others that optimisim. I'd like the phrase "Audacity of Hope" if it hadn't been ruined by empty political manipulation.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Diana, you're absolutely right about the statement regarding addicts grasping at excuses to remain using the drug of their choice. When people start saying that a drug is impossible to 'come off', then it reinforces the addict's resolve to keep using.

I'm not sure if the "drugs you can't give up" is an urban myth or not, but it feels like something a dealer would spread around in the hope that his customers would believe it. Please, everyone, think about the social responsibilities of spreading rumours about drugs you can't leave behind. Addiction is a complex issue, and no two people are alike in their addiction.

I have friends who have given up hard drugs, and they will tell you it is hard. It's bloody difficult, but it is most certainly NOT impossible.

Okay, lecture over.

ShebaJones

I post in the nude.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.dietsmokes.com/products/DSE901b-%7B47%7D4075-Black-Starter-Kit.html

That's the e-cig I have. I also bought some empty cartridges and two bottles of low-nicotine liquid. Overall, I'd say it's nothing like actual smoking. The "cig" is heavy, the "smoke" isn't as hot, and the "taste," well... ;)

The stuff is propylene glycol (fog machine juice) with nicotine and flavoring added. In case it's rough on you, there are places you can order it made with vegetable glycerin. The juice lasts a long time.

Drawbacks: "Marlboro" flavor seems to be "butt" flavor. Cartridges can be overfilled, leading to a shot of pg directly into the mouth (not recommended). The filter in the cartridges are made of polyester batting. It rests up against the atomizer (the heating element that makes the vapor) and may lead to the chlorine taste mentioned above. And breathing in plastics may not be a good thing.

It's different, is all. I like it, but it hasn't replaced my regular filthy habit. :)

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Do you want a "nice" scent? Get a few bits of regular tea from a tea bag and set it alight in an ash tray.

We used this to teach folks what pot smells like.

ETA: You can also add a bit to a rolled cigarette and drive people crazy

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone invent a healthy cola? (subverting the OP's question)

Think about it - everything is unhealthy, to one extent or another. Eggs will kill you, milk is BAD, red meat is gonna put you on the fast track to ga-ga land, your liver hates alcohol (even though it tastes so good), the radiation from the computer monitor you are using right now is frying your brain, EVERYTHING IS BAD FOR YOU.

Why can't scientists take five minutes away from making guinea pigs glow in the dark, or growing human ears on the back of mice to make the world a little healthier. Then we could live forever. Who even needs a glow in the dark guinea pig?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Who even needs a glow in the dark guinea pig?

A radioactive cat! :)

If everything was good for us, what would The Daily Mail say gives us cancer? It would go out of business. I hope you're prepared for that eventually. A lot of people like being scared witless every morning ;)

I don't know. I quite like feeling a bit guilty about eating biscuits or chocolate ice cream. If everything was good for us, I think it'd remove a lot of pleasure from my life. The government doesn't seem to have worked out (between the resignations and complete collapse, of course :tongue) that the more it tells some people NOT to do things the more they'll do it just so the government isn't telling them what to do.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If everything was good for us, what would The Daily Mail say gives us cancer?

The Sun. Or The Mirror. Or The Daily Star. Hell, they could even find a crank scientist to explain how reading their own paper is a cause of cancer. They have a whole room full of people working day and night to bring scare stories to the world.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Falling house prices! Being scared to death before breakfast! Immigrants!

They're kind of unhinged at times...

*drinking Lucozade* The unhealthy health drink :)