Poetry is Dead

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
I find it a breakthrough that poetry was featured in yesterday's PBS NewHour. That's some visibility, right? Or, was it only a blip because of the holiday (for those of you who want to call it that)?

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
OK, I admit I don't read much poetry. A lot of it these days seems like it must be over my head because it is so abstract that I just don't get it, hence my reason for giving up on reading it. I do write a poem on occasion, usually brought on by something I feel strong about (be it personal or otherwise.) I am by no means a poet

Anyhow, I decided to enter Ambrosia's DREAMS, VISIONS OR NIGHTMARES contest. So now I'm reading the entries so I can vote. Wow, I must say, I am so impressed and I'm having a really hard time picking only three! The poem entries are astounding. I just can't say enough about the talent --- and I understand them, even the free verse! :)

So no, poetry is not dead and it's contests like this that bring attention to it that make me realize I've been missing out.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I find it a breakthrough that poetry was featured in yesterday's PBS NewHour. That's some visibility, right? Or, was it only a blip because of the holiday (for those of you who want to call it that)?

The Newshour has had many poets on their shows. Kinda cool to see the art and artists acknowledged.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
Ah, I see. I've only recently become a regular viewer (since getting rid of my cable television). I wonder what the minimum donation is to get a say in what features your money is used for. I think a few hour-long documentaries on poetry alone would be in order. Take a break from all that science! Even the visual arts get way more attention from them.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
There are two series of interviews Bill Moyers has on Netflix with writers and poets, and they were available for streaming recently. You might enjoy those, Perscribo.

Brandt

give it to me straight
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's those who don't lift a finger to appreciate it (poetry) who have died a little?

Zonk

Registered
Reaction score
What is this 'poetry' thing you all are speaking of?

:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Deleted member 42

Poetry has been dead since the Victorians. We live in an age of song lyrics.

Where do you think poetry came from?

Poems were sung. Poems are still sung. Homer, Beowulf, Y Gododdin; all were sung.

All the earliest extant poetry we have--in any language--appears to have been accompanied by music and/or percussion.