Palin Launches New Attack on Stimulus

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Mrs Palin, you dropped something on the floor there ... looks like sour grapes?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Bwahahahahahaha!

Forgetting Palin, for the moment, the author of that opinion piece is full of shit or completely clueless.

He says this:
Of course, the vast majority of economists in America argued in favor of the course of action that Palin finds so troubling.
Now, check the embedded link that "supports" that claim. In it, it says this:
Thirty-two of the 43 economists (74%) who answered the question last week in a survey by USA TODAY said lawmakers should pass a stimulus bill to soften the blow.
So, THIRTY-TWO economists is the "vast majority of economists in America"?!?!?

But there's more:
Nearly one-third of the economists, who come from businesses, trade groups and universities, said the most effective way to stimulate the economy would be through tax cuts. Other ideas include extending unemployment benefits and boosting food stamps, which would provide money that would likely be spent immediately; funding job-creating infrastructure projects; and giving home buyers a tax credit to try to stop the slide in the housing market.
So, they're not really saying that the answer is to create more debt, contrary to the author's claim, at all.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thirty-two of the 43 economists (74%) who answered the question last week in a survey by USA TODAY said lawmakers should pass a stimulus bill to soften the blow.
Bwahahahahahaha!

Forgetting Palin, for the moment, the author of that opinion piece is full of shit or completely clueless.

He says this:Now, check the embedded link that "supports" that claim. In it, it says this:So, THIRTY-TWO economists is the "vast majority of economists in America"?!?!?

But there's more: So, they're not really saying that the answer is to create more debt, contrary to the author's claim, at all.
The 44th one was out getting coffee for everybody else at the time of the survey.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You know how surveys work, Rob...however you wiggle them to.
Yes, I do. But the author of this piece apparently does not. That, or he just read the title of the USA Today article and assumed the rest. Either way, he's got pretty much everything wrong. Even in that survey, those economists were not agreeing that spending oodles of money was a swell idea, at all.

GregB

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So, they're not really saying that the answer is to create more debt, contrary to the author's claim, at all.

Yeah? What are they saying, then? The answer is a package of tax cuts and new spending that won't create more debt? Brilliant!

P.S. If the sample size of the poll vexes you, here's a letter to Congress signed by 387 economists, including a few Nobel Laureates.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah? What are they saying, then? The answer is a package of tax cuts and new spending that won't create more debt? Brilliant!
They're saying a number of things. But read the original piece, again. The author is saying that Palin's "attack" is contradicted by all these economists. That's disingenuous.

P.S. If the sample size of the poll vexes you, here's a letter to Congress signed by 387 economists, including a few Nobel Laureates.
Whoop-de-doo. Christ, the poll is what it is. The USA Today story DID NOT CLAIM that the poll proved anything--anything at all--about what the "vast majority" of economists thought. They conducted a targeted poll and got 43 responses. That's it.

Obviously, the writer of the piece--one David Knowles--doesn't understand this and thinks that poll means something more than it actually does. That or he's lying. Take your pick.

As to that letter, here's another one: http://www.cato.org/fiscalreality

But that's besides the point, the point being that the article linked to in the OP is full of it.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
But wait! Whose idea was the stimulus money in the first place? Wasn't it GWB's??

Granted, the current admin has continued and expanded it (SO not happy about 'bailing out' car companies, grrr.) but much of it was already in place when Obama took the reins.

So who is she really mad at?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Um, Sarah, right or wrong, that's exactly what they teach in Economics 101.

It IS/WAS what they taught in Economics. And it may be a correct policy,

What concerns me comes under the heading of "do what you've done, get what you've gotten". Maybe a legion of MBA's and lawyers that took the course and bought the idea (along with the "greed is good" mentality) is why the US is where it is now.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
The economists who sign on to this debt and money creation earn their living from the results of what they support. The so-called Nobel Prize in economics is not awarded by the Nobel Committee. It is a private award, using the Nobel name only, by central bankers to honor economists who support the central banking system.

If carrying more debt than can be repaid is good financial policy, why didn't it work with sub-prime mortgages? Why don't we all lend ourselves six figures? We can't do it for long and neither can the government.

This thread should be made a time capsule and reopened five years from now to see which group of economists was right.:)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
This thread should be made a time capsule and reopened five years from now to see which group of economists was right.:)
That's not even necessary. Just go back a couple years and see which economists were predicting the meltdown and which economists were saying "the foundations of the economy are strong."

Or ask yourself which Presidential primary candidate kept trying to talk about the economy and was ignored for being "fringe" and told that there was nothing to worry about.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
In the words of Ronald Reagan, "Well, there you go again..."

Isn't bringing up facts considered to be rude, mean spirited and possibly illegal now? :)

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Stimulus is one thing. But when half of what we spend is borrowed money, you've got to think twice.

(At least that's what I've heard).
I like Sarah - just not for Prez or VP.
At least she has some spark and pizzazz.
Better than the dull guys in the gray suits, i.e Huckabee, et al.

Seems I heard that the "Commies" think Obama might be more leftist than Castro and his ilk.
Does that scare you?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Palin is a loser and who cares what losers think? :sleepy:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
She can be mad at everyone, and I agree no one is innocent in this. It was in motion before the election, but picked up steam after. I like parts of it, but not others. Nothing is perfect.

But she wasn't squawkin' about it when Bush came up with it, was she? Or was she, and it was part of her 'maverick' image to buck the current administration? I don't listen, pretty much because she's in charge of a state that's rolling in oil money.

Well, the state's pretty much told her to accept every dime the FedGov throws Alaska's way or else.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't that like a Bush line during the previous admin?

If the shoe fits...

Talking about losers, have you been listening to Joe Biden since he took the VP job? The guy is a real dunce.

As opposed to Palin who was a clueless twit before she got the job?

At least Biden doesn't go around shooting old men in the face like the last guy.

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
The stimulus that Bush proposed (which I didn't agree with either) is a far cry from the trillion dollar stimulus that has been enacted by the current administration.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
As opposed to Palin who was a clueless twit before she got the job?

At least Biden doesn't go around shooting old men in the face like the last guy.

Yes. Comparing a woman with a Boise State degree and 4 years of experience in public office to a career politician with nearly 40 years in office sure shows how much better Biden is than Palin.

Of course, since your best endorsement of the man is "He didn't shoot anybody," I suppose that can't be helped.