The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Siren Publishing / Rapture Publishing / BookStrand

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Siren Publishing / Rapture Publishing / BookStrand

What does anyone know about Siren Publishing? They had a call for submissions that includes a contest in which the top prize is publication. But when I clicked on their site, it seemed that the contest is all they have there. Although various romance genres are listed; contemporary, paranormal, etc. They don't link to anything. Is this publisher so new that they don't have any books available yet?

Any information out there?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Don't like the looks of the royalty structure, for POD, anyway:

15% of Cover price if sold through their website
    19% of net if sold through other distribution channels

Rob

American Aquarium Drinker pepperlandgirl's Avatar
    They're new. The contest is a way for them to get off the ground. I just read their contract, and it looks pretty standard for e-pubs. For example, it pays the same royalties on e-books and Liquid Silver and a bit better than a few other epubs.

The only thing I would advise is that you wait to sub to them for awhile. When they start releasing their books, buy a few to see what they're looking for, and make sure they're not going to fold after six months or something. Make sure they put out a consistent, quality product.

Gone
    WRT publishers, isn't having a contest where the first prize is being published, well, redundant? Hasn't every book that gets published effectively done just that?

Waaaaaay back when Realms of Fantasy was new, Shawna McCarthy ran an editorial in which she told the people who wrote her suggesting a contest in which the best story submitted would be published in RoF (paraphrased), "That's what we do every issue."

American Aquarium Drinker pepperlandgirl's Avatar
    I agree it's redundant, but I noticed people in the Romance and Romantic Erotica communities seem oddly entranced by them.

Main link: http://www.sirenpublishing.com/

Looks to be going strong, and the cover art is miles above most. Founder has also created Rapture Publishing for erotica: http://www.rapturepublishing.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
    Seems Siren is doing well in erotica and branching out into mainstream romance through BookStrand. Anyone know much about how they treat authors? Any of you submit to them?

They bought the rights of the Triskelion authors and then gave them back to them.
    http://www.sirenpublishing.com/inthe...elion/#release

Wow. That says a lot about them. Must be a class act. Thanks for the information.

Waving shyly

I've gained so much valuable information from the generous authors here, I decided it was time I de-lurked and give a little something back.

(apologies in advance if this shows up 'off' somehow, technology is not my friend.)

I have 4 short stories and one full length contemporary romance with Wild Rose and a novella with Amira Press but I am not one to keep all my eggs in one basket (cliché ) I opted to query my most recent novella elsewhere. Based on the fact Siren/BookStrand has a 'village' of authors, not a facelss metropolis, and several unique interactive options coming soon (the ability for authors to sign in and track their sales etc) I sent a query to them (racy but far from erotic) on June 13. Had an email yesterday offering me a contract.

The editor was extremely positive and professional. She informed me my novella has been slated for January 09 publication and my cover will have a spot in the full page color add in Romantic Times.

So far I'm very impressed. Will keep you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey Bancroft View Post
    Had an email yesterday offering me a contract.

The editor was extremely positive and professional. She informed me my novella has been slated for January 09 publication and my cover will have a spot in the full page color add in Romantic Times.

So far I'm very impressed. Will keep you posted!
    Congratulations, Lainey!!
    Last edited by shameless; 07-05-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: just 'cause

Self-declared Queen of Dark Snark madmumbler's Avatar
    I received an email this morning from BookStrand offering me a contract for a contemporary romance novel, slated for e-pub in March '09, print in Aug. '09, so I'll keep everyone posted.
    Lesli in SWFL. (aka Tymber Dalton)
    www.tymberdalton.com
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Never turn your back on a woman with a broken heart and a kitchen implement.

Author of the "Love Slave for Two" series, "The Reluctant Dom," "Cross Country Chaos" and more.

Quote Originally Posted by madmumbler View Post
    I received an email this morning from BookStrand offering me a contract for a contemporary romance novel, slated for e-pub in March '09, print in Aug. '09, so I'll keep everyone posted.

Congratulations. BookStrand is publishing my first book in January. They have been a dream to work with so far.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Is anyone from Bookstrand/Siren willing to share sales numbers via PM?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Or indeed with ERECsite.com anonymously via PM and/or email.
    Emily Veinglory

I'd happily share #'s...but my novella doesn't release until January 09.

I can tell you a huge congratulations went out through the author's loop a day or so ago announcing an author had broken a Siren/Bookstrand record by selling over 100 copies in the first five hours after her book released!

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    So what do people think of them these days? They seem to do very well on Amazon.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Marisa Chenery's Avatar
    I'm published at Siren and I have no complaints with them. They're very good at returning emails, and are quick with submissions. I have four contracts with them so far.
    Marisa Chenery
    www.marisachenery.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingerwoman View Post
    So what do people think of them these days? They seem to do very well on Amazon.

I have been nothing but pleased with BookStrand. Everyone there is professional and made the process of getting my first book published a wonderful experience. I always get a quick response whenever I have a question. My editor was very thorough. The cover artist really captured the story. I can't say enough good things about them.

The Ladies Who Lunch ~ Includes TWO Maggie finalists!
    The Seeker
    5 stars ~ "James provides a brilliantly conceived post apocalyptic world." ~ Beth, The Tome Tender
    My website!

Self-declared Queen of Dark Snark madmumbler's Avatar
    Update from me -- I have two Tymber Dalton novels out with them so far, and I'm tickled to death. They've been great to work with, quick to respond to questions, and I was happily surprised to find out not only is my first Tymber Dalton novel going to be featured in their Feb. 2009 RT ad, it's also one of two on the RT website ad they placed.

They also have a real-time author sales tracker log in that is DA BOMB!!! I wish all my publishers could have a system like that. *LOL* I mean, you can sit there and hit refresh all day long and watch your sales numbers. *LOL* It only tracks e-sales on the BookStrand website, of course, not third-party sales, but day-yam! *LOL*

Lesli. (aka Tymber Dalton).
    Lesli in SWFL. (aka Tymber Dalton)
    www.tymberdalton.com
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Never turn your back on a woman with a broken heart and a kitchen implement.

Author of the "Love Slave for Two" series, "The Reluctant Dom," "Cross Country Chaos" and more.

Not seeing any data for Siren at EREC.

C'mon, authors, it's easy and anonymous -- and whether high or low, the more info available, the better for all.
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Cool questions about siren bookstrand

Siren Bookstrand has offered to publish my first novel. I have also received interest from Wild Rose Press. Being very new to this I wanted to get anyone's opinion?

I know there's a thread for Wild Rose in Bewares and Background checks. Put Siren into the search box and see if there's one for it, too.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast