Ivory-working in the ancient world

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone can help me with this, but does anyone know about the history of ivory staining? I don't mean to fake a patina, but to dye it different colours for decorative purposes. Which dyes would they have used on ivory? I want to find out how, or indeed if, they achieved purple and red. My period is approx 1250 BC, Greece. There was widespread trade with Africa, Asia and Europe. Sadly, there's not much info on the internet.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
The Phoenicians were the premier ivory workers in the ancient world; if they used purple and red to stain ivory, then my guess is they used the same snail-based dye that they made to dye cloth with -- the Murex trunculus and the Murex brandaris. I've never seen any examples of dyed ivory, though.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Scott! I was thinking madder, alkanet (from the Levant), or cochineal (from kermes oak). I've no idea if any of these can be used for ivory. I'll check out your suggestions. Since the Phoenicians were big dye exporters in the Bronze Age too, the Mycenaeans might have imported your Phoenician dyes to colour their own ivory, whether or not the Phoenicians exported stained ivory.

Deleted member 42

I'd start looking by for dyed/colored ivory objects in museum collections from the right era and regions; I'd start with the British museum and the Metropolitan. Both have extensive online image catalogs you can search for free.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist, yes, that's a great idea. Problem is, no examples of Mycenaean stained ivories survive. I've now found some references in the Linear B tablets and Homer. The Linear B speaks of 'chariots veneered with ivory, fully assembled, crimson coloured'. The Iliad has a simile where Maionian or Karian women colour ivory with purple. The Carians might be my answer, since they were kicking around in the Bronze Age, while the Maeonians were Iron Age. At least I know wealthy kings did possess objects of stained ivory, and in nice royal colours too. That should be enough, even if I don't find out what dyes they used.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Tyrenian (sp) purple from the Murex was used for the purple Togas, etc. and highly/widely noted. If you do a Google search for Tyre and purple you should start finding some articles about the dye pretty quickly. I suspect that's probably where you're going to find your answer. Puma

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
There is some evidence the Trojans, too, might have manufactured dye from murex shells. 'Trojan purple', eh? I'm just not sure if these dyes, all of the above, could be used on ivory. It's difficult to find this sort of info. I'll keep looking though. Thanks, Puma!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Suse - I just googled Tyre and purple and read a couple very interesting articles on the dye. But, no ivory. Then I googled for ivory dye purple and came up with this ...

This section is from the "Encyclopedia Of Practical Receipts And Processes" book, by William B. Dick. Also available from Amazon: Dick's encyclopedia of practical receipts and processes.
Ivory, Alabaster. Part 2

1988. To Dye Ivory Purple

1988. To Dye Ivory Purple. Steep in a weak neutral solution of terchloride of gold, and then expose it to the light. Or, soak the ivory in a solution of sal ammoniac into 4 times its weight of nitrous acid.
1989. To Dye Ivory Green

1989. To Dye Ivory Green. Dissolve verdigris in vinegar, and steep the pieces therein for a short time, observing to use a glass or stoneware vessel; or in a solution of verdigris, 2 parts, and sal ammoniac, 1 part, in soft water; or, dye the ivory blue by the third receipt for that purpose, and then insert in a solution of picric acid, as prescribed for the dark lemon color. (See No. 1991 (To Dye Ivory Dark Lemon).)
1990. To Dye Ivory Yellow

1990. To Dye Ivory Yellow. Steep the ivory in a bath of neutral chromate of potash, and afterwards in a boiling solution of acetate of lead.
Or: Steep the pieces for 24 hours in a solution of sugar of lead, then take them out, and when dry, immerse them in a solution of chromate of potassa.
Or: Dissolve as much of the best orpiment in water of ammonia or hartshorn as it will take up, then steep the pieces therein for some hours; lastly, take them out and dry them, when they will turn yellow.
1991. To Dye Ivory Dark Lemon

1991. To Dye Ivory Dark Lemon. Dissolve 1/4 ounce picric acid in 1/2 ounce boiling water. Dilute 1/8 ounce strong sulphuric acid with 1/4 ounce hot water, by pouring the acid gradually into the water. Insert the ivory in the acidulated water, turn it around repeatedly, in order to admit the acid to all parts, remove the ivory from the fluid and dry it. Then insert the dried ivory in the boiling solution of picric acid, turn it also around, and leave it in the solution until all parts appear of a uniform yellow color. Then remove it from the solution of picric acid, dry, and polish the ivory with soap water and finely levigated chalk. After the polishing the ivory possesses a permanent dark lemon-yellow color.
1992. To Dye Ivory Violet

1992. To Dye Ivory Violet. Dye red, and afterwards blue; or place the ivory in a highly-diluted solution of tin, and boil in the logwood bath..

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Puma! This is interesting. I checked Wiki for sal ammoniac, and it says it 'is also the archaic name for the chemical compound ammonium chloride; from Greek, ἅλς ἀμμωνιακός hals ammoniakos, salt of Ammon, because of its early manufacture in Egypt.' I wonder if the Mycenaeans understood these chemical processes (I certainly don't :)).

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they did, Suse. The ancients around the Mediterranean knew a heck of a lot we don't even suspect today unless we happen to be in the particular field. I've been continually amazed when I've gone on searches for one thing or another. Puma