• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Bindery Agency (formerly Alexander Field L.A.)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
One of my blog friends, Alexander Field, an editor, publishing director and author, has decided to hang out his shingle officially as an agent. (Please note that he continues to work as an editor.)

He doesn't have a web page yet, but he announced his intentions on his blog.

He provided further information on what he's looking for in a subsequent post, but I'm including the pertinent information here.

I'm going to tell you what I love to read because that's what I will be most passionate about representing to publishers. In the area of fiction I enjoy well-written Fantasy, Sci Fi, Thrillers, Mystery, Urban Fantasy, Noir, Historical Fiction and Literary Fiction.

In the NONFICTION area I have a particular interest in representing titles in Health & Wellness, Business, Self-Help, Biography, Autobiography and Memoir. In this area I want to see a unique and fresh concept, written by an author who brings expertise or experience to the topic.

If you're not sure that your book is a fit, send the QUERY and I'll let you know.

At this time, I DO NOT represent Romance, Christian Nonfiction of any kind, Comic Books or Graphic Novels, Reference, Academic Texts, Gift Books or Picture Books.

If you think your book and I would get along, go ahead and query me! Send me an e-mail letter with the following information:

-Short synopsis of your book
-Word Count of your manuscript (Fiction should be complete; Nonfiction should have 2 sample chapters ready to review)
-Genre
-Working Title
-Pertinent Author Information (Writing credits, Professional information etc.)

Keep your letter relatively short (3-5 paragraphs) and try to be clear and honest. I will judge every query on its merits (and my unique interests), and if I am interested, I will request a sample of your writing. If I can't represent you, I will let you know promptly.

At this time, I do not accept submissions through the mail. But I will do my best to review every query within 3-4 weeks, barring vacations, business trips and unforeseen natural disasters. Also, be sure to type the word "QUERY" in the subject line of your e-mail. Thank you.

Oh, and you can send your query letter to alexfield1 at gmail dot com.

He already has some clients lined up, but obviously no sales yet. I don't know how many years of experience he has as an editor; if I find out, I'll come back with that info.

Enna

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelleschusterman.com
VERY excited- I just got a partial request from him less than a day after submitting my query! I love his blog, he sounds great. :)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Wow, congratulations. He is a really nice guy, which is why I passed this along. And he should give Nathan Bransford a run for his money in the cutest agent category. LOL.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Is he going to respond to queries or be one of those "no response means no" agents?

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I thought I read in his blog that he intends to respond to all queries, but I could have misread it.

Enna

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelleschusterman.com
Thanks, Judg! (I followed you on Twitter, btw!)

EgyptianGoddess- I'm pretty sure he says he'll get back no matter what- I think 2-4 weeks.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations. He is a really nice guy, which is why I passed this along. And he should give Nathan Bransford a run for his money in the cutest agent category. LOL.
You're not kidding. What a cutie.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
LOL Tburger. Um, you haven't been to the Office Party much, have you? Trust me, this is mild stuff.

But you're right, looks have nothing to do with the quality of the agent. Or the writer.

Good thing for me.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
LOL Tburger. Um, you haven't been to the Office Party much, have you? Trust me, this is mild stuff.

But you're right, looks have nothing to do with the quality of the agent. Or the writer.

Good thing for me.

Say no more. Next stop (for me): Office Party. WHOOOPEEE!

BTW - I queried Mr. Field yesterday...

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
He likes fantasy, that's a good thing; I wonder whether he likes middle grade fantasy? I suppose I can quickly find out by sending a query! :) Thanks for posting this.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Aha, I've just found the answer to my question in the blog comments - yes, he does consider MG! :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Judg! I just sent him a query!

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
He requested a partial from my query, which I sent about an hour after Judg made the initial post (I is shark in water). He said he didn't know if my work would be something he'd represent, but he was intrigued enough to take a look at a couple of chapters.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks for the tip. I just queried him.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! (I suspect he'll do more query reading and responding tomorrow, on Saturday...)

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I went ahead and sent my partial as a doc file, and also attached it as an rtf file - wasn't sure which file type he wanted. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if he wanted it electronically or in hard copy. I checked his blog and couldn't find guidelines for partials; has anyone else figured it out?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I went ahead and sent my partial as a doc file, and also attached it as an rtf file - wasn't sure which file type he wanted. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if he wanted it electronically or in hard copy. I checked his blog and couldn't find guidelines for partials; has anyone else figured it out?

If you sent an email query and he responded asking for a partial...he's looking for an emailed file.

Congrats!