• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Keen Literary (formerly EBM Literary)

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Not much listed about this agency on PM and I couldn't find anything on P&E. I noticed on PM Emily Masters said that she has eight years experience. Anybody else know anything?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
She doesn't list where exactly her experience comes from, and this reads weird:

I have more than eight years of experience working with authors and publishers to promote the value of reading.

Does this mean marketing? I don't understand the value of saying this. No website, no other mention aside from the PM page with just a gmail contact address. I'd say, if you're interested in querying her, ask her directly what her experience is. The PM page is just a little too vague.

EmilyBMasters

Registered
Reaction score
From Emily Booth Masters

Hi everyone! Emily Masters here.
I have an MA in English and worked for Humanities Tennessee as an organizer of the Southern Festival of Books for more than eight years. I organized the children's and YA programs for the Southern Festival of Books, resulting in great contacts with a lot of publishers.
I am passionate about children's and YA literature, and I'm partnering with Julie Schoerke (a book publicist) and Susan Abel (formerly with Ingram Book) to form a new company that is (tentatively) titled "Keen Literary."
I will work as an agent for children's/YA authors and Susan will work for adult authors (as that is more her area of expertise).
We will launch our business on June 30, and at that point I'll provide a more detailed description of our services on Publisher's Marketplace.
Also--be on the lookout for my interview with Cynsations blogger Cynthia Leitich Smith. Have your doubts about trying a new agent? Check out what Nathan Bransford has to say about new agents -
http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions. Thanks for the interest!
Emily

seeker4

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Emily! I read the post from Nathan Bransford's blog this morning! I look forward to hearing more about your new agency!

EmilyBMasters

Registered
Reaction score
From Emily Masters

Sorry it did take me a little over a month to get back to you Patty! I'm now working quite vigorously with Julie and Susan to go over all of our queries and respond to everyone within a maximum of two months.

I hope everyone will check out my interview with Cynthia Leitich Smith at
http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2009/06/agent-interview-emily-masters-on-keen.html

If you have a truly original children's book or something really exciting for middle grades or young adults, I hope you'll consider querying me at [email protected]!

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
I'm now working quite vigorously with Julie and Susan to go over all of our queries and respond to everyone within a maximum of two months.

Thanks for the update. If it helps your workload, I accidently sent you the same query two different times. At least there's one less you have to read. :)

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Emily requested a few chapters of my YA manuscript today. Thanks, Emily!

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you asked, June. I queried a couple of days before you. :)

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Emily requested the first couple of chapters from my MS today! :) Thanks, Emily!!!

bookgirl71

Registered
Reaction score
Keen Literary

I queried Emily Booth Masters on 6/10, just a few week prior to the launch of Keen Literary. I equeried to her personal email address and now I'm hoping it reaches her. After finally seeing the new Keen website, the queries should be sent to [email protected].
I hope this doesn't add an extra month to my wait time!

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
Just queried today! Agency looks very legit for being brand new. Can't wait to hear back from them!

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Gang ~

I just got this post from Emily Masters about the status of her agency:

"I'm afraid Ms. Abel has left Keen Literary. She decided to pursue another career path that speaks to her marketing background. As a result, Keen is only accepting queries for children's and YA literature at this time. Please keep an eye on our web site, as we are considering adult agents now and would welcome a new query from you in the future--should you find the credentials of our new (future) adult literary agent attractive.
Best of luck to you. Emily Masters"

Pretty classy lady, to respond in this fashion. I hope to finish my YA novel soon so I can send it to HER! AND I can't wait to see who she brings on for adult fiction.
~ hawk

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Ms. Masters,

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before now. Just sent you a query. (smile)

I'm not from Tennessee, but my heart will always reside there. My parents were both born there, and I love that drive down I70, especially the section where Caney Fork River crosses under the highway at least seven times.

Okay, now I'm going to go cry. And I know this sounds like a major suck-up, but in reality it was only a small one.