New Webnovel Available

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
I suppose you could consider this an extended "sumbit your work"...

While my historical novel Saint Mark's Body continues its march through Query Letter Hell, I've launched a new website featuring a prequel novel. I hope to build up enough of a following to show prospective agents and editors a ready market for my books.

The website is www.saintmarksbody.com, and the prequel novel "Buono's Tale" is in the form of a Wordpress blog at www.saintmarksbody.com/buono. Those of you who've read my stuff in the Historical SYW will remember Buono da Malamocco. The webnovel tells the story of Buono's early life and the Frankish invasion of Venice in 809-810 AD, eighteen years before the events of Saint Mark's Body.

I expect to make updates of a few hundred words at a time, 2-3 times a week. I hope you enjoy it,

Thanks,

Richard

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with this! You think ahead, definitely. Keep us posted when you hear good news, okay? I'm pulling for you.

(And I love your title under your name. :D )

c.e.

Last edited:

Phaedo

a non sequitur
Registered
Reaction score
omg! I LOVE your siggy! You are so funny.

change the avatar?

ETA: good luck with your novel!

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, let us know how you go with this, Richard. So how will you go about promoting it? Maybe you could add a counter to keep track of how many hits you get.

Isn't a signature the blurb at the bottom of your post and a title the thing under your avatar? I'll love your title when you change it to 'worshiping Achilleus because he is a god and I was so wrong about him, as I have since discovered through Suse's stunning portrayal of this wonderful creature, a portrayal even better than Homer's, not that she is trying to compete with Homer, but wouldn't that be nice, est il possible, good grief, time for a cup of tea.'

Your avatar is way too stern.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Ack, you're right Suse - it's his title, not his sig. Oops. But I LOVE your suggestion for a revision of his title. That deserves a rep. Ha! :) And now I will edit my post.

c.e.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Are you a salesman in the day job?

Good thinking, let us know if it's worth the effort.

RichardB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Thanks all for the encouragement! To respond to some of your questions:

I am tracking hits and the number of unique visitors using Google Analytics. It's free and it gives pretty good data. Things seem to be ramping up, I'm hoping for a big spike in traffic once everyone in the US goes back to work tomorrow.

How am I promoting it? Well, I just did, didn't I? :) But other than our little circle of hopeful authors I am just sort of hoping it catches on. I read a few serial webcomics, and they seem to get a lot of hits. So many that they have to set up forums to capture all the comments. Coincidentally, my signature on those forum pages is a lot like the one you see here :)

I am hoping that if I update frequently, and tell a good story, 'they will come'.

No, I'm not a salesman in my day job-- an engineer, but I suppose I do a fair amount of marketing.

I'll change the avatar at some point -- I have to find a good painting of a Doge and add my eyeglasses to it. No sense having an anachronism on my own site!

Thanks again all-- I will keep you updated. If this works, I bet we're going to see several webnovels pop up :)

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Can you let us know, as well, how time-consuming updating the site is? I've just had a good look and I'm intrigued, though I've not had time to read the story yet.

I'm wondering how you're going to let agents know about the site, should you gain a following, since you already started querying your book a while back. I'm thinking a site like this will work best if you start it when you're certain you're in the final stages of editing, you then build up a following and start firing off queries to agents. If it works, I wouldn't mind trying it out myself, provided it doesn't take massive amounts of time. I have lots of scenes I've had to cut from my story due to changing from omni to limited.

I commend your initiative, Richard. Good luck! :)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Suse,

I can't answer for Richard, but I was a contracted web designer for many years while being employed as a data programmer for years prior to my forced and chosen stint of unemployment for almost 5 years, and although it is now defunct for many years, I had one of the first Internet Resource Centres on the internet, which was ranked number one across all search engines.

-I just realised that makes me sound very old and may be misleading. For almost 5 years I have done no paid work - not quite true because I had my own business for a couple and am currently kind of being paid, but for the 16 years prior to than and a few years after, I was contracted to build websites and was a programmer. I had an interest with the Internet when most other users were education facilities, and email was still the main mode of communication, and graphics on the Web were very painful, and marketing via the web a relatively new concept, despite there already being a million marketers out there.

I had a dream if only I could make money from the Web, I would have the time to write, I finally made money from the interent while working full time but never wrote much, then went BUST. LOLOLOLOLLOL It was lucky I moved location prior and now I live in a dream location and live that writing life, but without the money I thought I needed. Nothing venture - nothing gained, although now I live my dream that the Interent kept interferring with. :D

The most simpless thing, you think will take a few moments, can in fact, take all day, which can be maddening, and part of the reason this happens is technology keeps changing, and you constantly need to stay abreast and keep up to date with it.

That said I personally have not updated my own personal two sites for more than six months, unless I have had to do something, due other commitments and the maintence it takes to just keep them running and writing. They take up substancial time, especially if you gain a following. I have two and both are database driven sites, so they require a fraction more upkeep, than say a html web site. My blog I spend little time on, but to make them really work you need to spend a great deal of time on them.

I initally started my site at the same time of starting to write Australian Flavour and it over the past two years has grown in members despite not spending as much time as I should on the site. I have more than 300 members to the main site, and more than 500 overall between the forums and whatever, not an enormous amount, and frankly I am not sure what some of them do there, especially the past 6 months, but netherless it has grown. That said, without the site, the book would not be in printed format, and much of the information in the book had to be taken down from the site. Without the site I might not have my book, but it is not fiction, and on top of that no other writer, had presented what I did in the manner or way that I did ...

think carefully before building websites with your book topic as the focus and you presented as a book author prior to that being a reality. If we write, we are authors of the text we write, and if you are going to build a website an author it, make sure you don't mix the communities expecatations of what they think authors are....in other words feel free to claim authorship of your website or blog, but don't attempt to claim your unpublished writings are from a published author...which is something slighly different. Use the term author as your readers are expecting you to use it, if that makes sense.

One thing to remember too guys is that, although Richard isn't doing it, I am have the understanding that publilshers consider data on the internet to be published, regardless if it is by a mainstream publisher. So I wouldn't suggest we go out and put our chapters on our blogs or websites.

That said, there was a woman years ago, who wrote an erotic tale and distributed each chapter free, called then, Addicted to Sex, those chapters went on to be downloaded by more than ten million people and it was published and became a best seller in that genre although the published version does not read exactly the same as the original story. But that is rare.

A website or blog does not promote a book, you need to promote that website or blog as much as the book.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:

RichardB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Those are some great points from Cooee! I agree completely about the problem of publishing online, that's why I'm writing an all-new book and not posting my chapters from St. Mark's Body. Also the promotion is critical. I'm writing/linking to blogs about Venice and that sort of thing, and am checking to see if my local newspaper is willing to send me some link-love.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Can you let us know, as well, how time-consuming updating the site is? I've just had a good look and I'm intrigued, though I've not had time to read the story yet.

Wordpress sites are ridiculously easy to set up and update, especially compared with what was available only a few years ago. I haven't gone in for a dedicated domain, but my personal blog's running on Wordpress (http://doogs.wordpress.com/). Updating isn't complex at all. In fact, if you can figure out how to post here, you could maintain a blog fairly easily. Now there may be some formatting issues with posting story excerpts, but the same goes for AW.

think carefully before building websites with your book topic as the focus and you presented as a book author prior to that being a reality. If we write, we are authors of the text we write, and if you are going to build a website an author it, make sure you don't mix the communities expecatations of what they think authors are....in other words feel free to claim authorship of your website or blog, but don't attempt to claim your unpublished writings are from a published author...which is something slighly different. Use the term author as your readers are expecting you to use it, if that makes sense.

One thing to remember too guys is that, although Richard isn't doing it, I am have the understanding that publilshers consider data on the internet to be published, regardless if it is by a mainstream publisher. So I wouldn't suggest we go out and put our chapters on our blogs or websites.

I'm a big fan of openness and transparency, and with that in mind I've been toying with the idea of setting up a blog about writing a novel and all that goes with it. Not posting excerpts, but discussing research, my thought process in making a call between two contradictory sources, pacing issues, character bios, and that sort of thing. A "behind the scenes" look at writing a novel, if you will.

RichardB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
I'm a big fan of openness and transparency, and with that in mind I've been toying with the idea of setting up a blog about writing a novel and all that goes with it. Not posting excerpts, but discussing research, my thought process in making a call between two contradictory sources, pacing issues, character bios, and that sort of thing. A "behind the scenes" look at writing a novel, if you will.

I think that's a good idea Doogs- the thing I think everyone should avoid, though, is talking about the submission process. You don't want an agent to ever read about how many colleagues have rejected your query--not to mention any uncharitable things you might be tempted to say about the agentosphere.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I think that's a good idea Doogs- the thing I think everyone should avoid, though, is talking about the submission process. You don't want an agent to ever read about how many colleagues have rejected your query--not to mention any uncharitable things you might be tempted to say about the agentosphere.

Agreed. The writing process is one thing, but once it starts going toward the business side it's better to be discreet. Just like posting about work.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Wordpress sites are ridiculously easy to set up and update, especially compared with what was available only a few years ago. I haven't gone in for a dedicated domain, but my personal blog's running on Wordpress (http://doogs.wordpress.com/). Updating isn't complex at all. In fact, if you can figure out how to post here, you could maintain a blog fairly easily. Now there may be some formatting issues with posting story excerpts, but the same goes for AW.

Yes, wordpress is easy - I have both a wordpress site and blogger blog - both with the same stuff on them - and I generally just ramble on them but they are probably the best forms of marketing, well easist without investing in a website. Many bloggers have gained such a big following they have been published.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Yes, wordpress is easy - I have both a wordpress site and blogger blog - both with the same stuff on them - and I generally just ramble on them but they are probably the best forms of marketing, well easist without investing in a website. Many bloggers have gained such a big following they have been published.

The great thing about Wordpress (IMO, having used both Blogger and Typepad in the past) is it's flexibility - here are some great examples of sites that use Wordpress on the backend but don't resemble blogs in the slightest.

http://www.webhelpermagazine.com/2008/04/wordpress-wow-seven-top-sites-using-wordpress-as-a-cms/

RichardB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Hm.. Mine is incredibly basic at this point, I've not had time to play with the plugins. (well, it's either that or keep the updates coming...) If anyone has suggestions to put it in a better format for a webnovel I'd love to hear them!