Three weeks to HNS

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Who's going?

I was just at the site, and I noticed that there are still spaces available.

Aleksandra

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here and I have not published yet, but I have a series of four books that I'm working on.

The conference is in my backyard so to speak, so I can't pass it up. So glad to see so many AW's attending and presenting. I'll be there with another writer friend.

See you there, Aleksandra

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I have and I am very disappointed in what I am getting. Everyone bailed on me except one and I am on a waiting list for another one. It would have been nice to get this list BEFORE the deadline so I could have 50% of my money back. As it is now I'm bailing on this thing because it isn't worth my time.

I'm pissed and upset.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah me!

Sadly if there is a huge rush for one agent or editor someone has to miss out. However you should have been informed before the cut off date.

catholicone

Registered
Reaction score
How did you receive your confirmation? Via snail mail?

I am also arriving Friday (early!) so I won't be able to meet up with you.

TinneyH

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there. (I'm new here, btw.) Got my agent(s) confirmation by email, a few days ago. I've never pitched to an agent in person before; any advice from the more experienced? I'm already nervous!

TinneyH

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't they send suggestions for the pitch with the confirmation? They did to me.

Yes, they did - I guess I just wanted more of a personal, "I've been there" sort of thing. I'm sure I'll muddle through it, though.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
WTF. I can't believe I get one lousy agent. What a waste of 600 bucks. :rant:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Practise...

that pitch. It has to be succinct and to the point. 3 mins is a good length for a five minute slot, 5- 6 mins for a 10 minute slot.

Don't woffle. Present yourself as for an interview wearing good clothes and look groomed!

Be professional and read up on the agent so you can chitchat about hir other writers or a book s/he's recently commissioned.

Don't beg whine or plead. Watch your body language and your voice tone. Sound like a sane enthusiastic writer.

catholicone

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out that I got an appt. with my #1 choice for the pitch session. :)

Can anyone give a little insight on how YOU would approach the pitch session with an unfinished manuscript (at home, I'm not bringing it)? Should I tell her upfront? Leave that part out until she asks to see a manuscript?

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I just found out that I got an appt. with my #1 choice for the pitch session. :)

Can anyone give a little insight on how YOU would approach the pitch session with an unfinished manuscript (at home, I'm not bringing it)? Should I tell her upfront? Leave that part out until she asks to see a manuscript?

I have never pitched an unfinished novel or submitted a query for an unfinished work, so I cannot help you.

catholicone

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm wondering if I should cancel the appointment. I thought I would be finished with it this month, but I'm not.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Thanks. I'm wondering if I should cancel the appointment. I thought I would be finished with it this month, but I'm not.

I did not intend to discourage you from pitching your unfinished work. It may interest her. You can still discuss her agency and the market to see if your novel when completed may be suitable for her. Have several scenarios of conversation prepared. As long as you are at the conference, take advantage of it.

Also pitching will be good practice for you. Have confidence in yourself and your writing.

I forget where I posted my experience pitching treatments and stories in Hollywood. Sometimes I had only a minute or two to "grab" Mr. Big.

If I was too detailed, I would get, "Nah that ain't gonna' work."
If I was too general, I would get, "How you gonna' play it?"

I do not know when you will arrive, but feel free to practice your pitch with me and other friendly types. My most recent photo is on my web site listed below.

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
I'll be there. Probably getting in on Friday afternoon (driving from Dallas Thurs & Fri). I met funi at the last one, in Albany--I look forward to meeting the rest of you!

Try not to get discouraged, History_Chick. Even if you don't get to make a pitch (like me), it's a great opportunity to meet & greet with like-minded writers. You've paid your money--might as well come and enjoy the conference.

Would it be tacky to write our AW handles on our name badges so we can identify each other? If you don't like that option, no problem. Mine will say H. Scott Dalton, for any of you who don't already know.

See you there!
HN