New (and calmer) Copyright discussion thread (split out from "Publishing a Sequel")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
I would hypothesize that because the characters are already borrowed, it is difficult to see the issue in the same light as someone who has created their own characters and worlds.

Much as how RTD can step down from Doctor Who and watch the show go in a new direction. He loved the characters and he changed them, but they were never really his.
I would hypothesize that because the characters are already borrowed, it is difficult to see the issue in the same light as someone who has created their own characters and worlds.

Much as how RTD can step down from Doctor Who and watch the show go in a new direction. He loved the characters and he changed them, but they were never really his.

Doctor Who is actually a very good example. Who does the Doctor belong to? I don't think you can reasonably say he belongs to any single individual. Having been around for four decades, played by a dozen actors, written for by dozens of writers, he's become part of culture as a whole. The idea that one person (or more likely, corporation) somewhere should forevermore be able to decide who can publish something about the Doctor and who can't is ridiculous.

Or Mickey Mouse. The character is culturally omnipresent, he's been around for over eighty years, Walt Disney has been dead for nearly fifty years. Why should some corporate entity get to dictate who gets to make Mickey Mouse cartoons?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like you're looking at it very one-sided. What if your brilliant science fiction epic makes you a ton of money? And you make a movie of it, and make a ton of more money? And it's such a classic that it will continue to sell enough after your dead that you can provide for your children and grandchildren into adulthood? Do you and your team of lawyers really want to throw up your hands and say, sure! Take my world and my unforgettable characters and do whatever you want with them and feel free to sell it? Because I wouldn't.

I'm not up in arms for Disney Company to maintain its stranglehold on its signature mouse, but it's the same sort of thing. Walt started out as an unknown cartoonist, and his work has ended up an enormous success. Just because he's made a ton of money off Mickey Mouse, doesn't mean his kids and grandkids shouldn't be allowed to control his creations.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Doctor Who is actually a very good example. Who does the Doctor belong to? I don't think you can reasonably say he belongs to any single individual. Having been around for four decades, played by a dozen actors, written for by dozens of writers, he's become part of culture as a whole. The idea that one person (or more likely, corporation) somewhere should forevermore be able to decide who can publish something about the Doctor and who can't is ridiculous.

Or Mickey Mouse. The character is culturally omnipresent, he's been around for over eighty years, Walt Disney has been dead for nearly fifty years. Why should some corporate entity get to dictate who gets to make Mickey Mouse cartoons?

Now you're mixing Trademark with Copyright. MickeyMouse, and other characters licensed for use in TV/movies aren't just under copyright. (And if Sony is making a movie based on Foundation then they have the trademark - no one else can touch it.)

You seriously need to read the thread on Lady Sybilla, because you're making her arguments, and they still don't hold water.

"When fictional characters become such an intricate part of the popular psyche, as is the case with the Twilight Saga, legal boundaries become blurred, and copyright laws become increasingly difficult to define. This is especially the case when actual cities like Forks and Volterra are used as the novel's settings. Such settings are not copyrightable, as they are considered public domain. Similarly, the Quileute Nation is also not copyrightable, and neither are vampire or werewolf legends. Copyright laws protect writers from unauthorized reproductions of their work, but such reproductions only include verbatim copying. Characters are only copyrightable if their creator draws them or hires an artist to draw them. Stephenie Meyer herself borrowed a great deal from previous works dealing with these mythologies."

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score

I can very reasonably say he belongs to the BBC so long as they are producing new works with the Doctor in it.

I say this as a fan who loves the series and who loves reading fan fiction. I'd love it if the BBC stopped going after fanvids on YouTube but I don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there to publish his own version of the Doctor for profit. To do so would only harm the properties and characters I love.

There are some truly phenomenal writers of fan fic but they understand that they cannot publish their works.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I can very reasonably say he belongs to the BBC so long as they are producing new works with the Doctor in it.

I say this as a fan who loves the series and who loves reading fan fiction. I'd love it if the BBC stopped going after fanvids on YouTube but I don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there to publish his own version of the Doctor for profit. To do so would only harm the properties and characters I love.

There are some truly phenomenal writers of fan fic but they understand that they cannot publish their works.

Right.

Even when shows go off the air, the fans can't profit from them because they're still owned by the Prod. Co. which bought the rights to them - that's why fans of dead shows have collaborative "virtual seasons" to continue the series in fanfic form for others to enjoy free. But if the Prod. Co. that owns the show issues a C&D, they will.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

Intellectual property is property and is alienable. In the case of something like "Dr. Who," there is a rights-holder who commissions the works. The writers, directors and actors who make shows do so for pay, and don't own the work; the rights-holder does.

A corporation is a person for legal purposes, and it can own property, including intellectual property.

Last edited:

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
You are correct in that this is what I am saying. Intellectual property should be treated differently from tangible property. This is because they are different, namely in that ideas can be copied while physical property can only be removed. Theft is illegal because otherwise you don't have anything resembling a civilization. But civilization existed for millennia without any concept of intellectual property. Intellectual property is an important concept, and when properly implemented benefits all involved. But to treat ideas exactly the same as we treat physical objects is absurd. There is absolutely no equivalency between stealing a physical piece of property and depriving someone of hypothetical future profits by copying their ideas.

We don't. The law covering the protections bundled with copyright is entirely distinct from the law related to theft or conversion of goods or personal property.

The idea that violation of intellectual property rights constitutes "theft" is a simplified explanation and a PR term that's thrown around in relation to downloading copyrighted content.

You are not considered to be stealing by appropriating "The Foundation." But Asimov's rights to those ideas are exclusive, and he can therefore exclude you from using them.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's a work derived from the copyrighted material, and copyright covers derivative works.

:Hail:

Intellectual property is property and is alienable. In the case of something like "Dr. Who," there is a rights-holder who commissions the works. The writers, directors and actors who make shows do so for pay, and don't own the work; the rights-holder does.

A corporation is a person for legal purposes, and it can own property, including intellectual property.

We don't. The law covering the protections bundled with copyright is entirely distinct from the law related to theft or conversion of goods or personal property.

The idea that violation of intellectual property rights constitutes "theft" is a simplified explanation and a PR term that's thrown around in relation to downloading copyrighted content.

You are not considered to be stealing by appropriating "The Foundation." But Asimov's rights to those ideas are exclusive, and he can therefore exclude you from using them.

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
If, in some amazing, surreal dream of success my agent parlays my mystery into a series with all the ancillary goodies, I darn well want my kids and grandkids to be able to go to college on the money my characters make for me/us. Because I created them and I and my family should reap the rewards.

But why should you and your descendants get paid forever for you doing one thing? You should get paid something, for some period of time, but in perpetuity? Yes, you want this, because you benefit from it. But you also prevent other people from benefiting from their own work. "Because it's good for me and I want it that way" is not a sufficient answer to why it should be this way. Once again, copyright term is all about balance between the good of society and the good of the content creator. What you are proposing benefits the content creator and his descendants forever, and benefits society not at all.

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
You seriously need to read the thread on Lady Sybilla, because you're making her arguments, and they still don't hold water.

As far as I can tell, her arguments are, in one significant regard, completely in error. Namely, characters can be copyrighted even if they're not drawn. Other than that, the segment your quoted about why a particular copyright is not valid bears no resemblance at all to the arguments I am presently making about why extremely long copyright terms are neither morally obligatory nor beneficial to society.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But why should you and your descendants get paid forever for you doing one thing? You should get paid something, for some period of time, but in perpetuity? Yes, you want this, because you benefit from it. But you also prevent other people from benefiting from their own work. "Because it's good for me and I want it that way" is not a sufficient answer to why it should be this way. Once again, copyright term is all about balance between the good of society and the good of the content creator. What you are proposing benefits the content creator and his descendants forever, and benefits society not at all.

As far as I can tell, her arguments are, in one significant regard, completely in error. Namely, characters can be copyrighted even if they're not drawn. Other than that, the segment your quoted about why a particular copyright is not valid bears no resemblance at all to the arguments I am presently making about why extremely long copyright terms are neither morally obligatory nor beneficial to society.
Copyright and trademark benefit the creators and rights holders, but everything that gets published doesn't necessarily benefit society every time.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Really? Read it again.

When fictional characters become such an intricate part of the popular psyche, as is the case with the Twilight Saga, legal boundaries become blurred, and copyright laws become increasingly difficult to define.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

You're not the only one who has argued that copyright terms are unnecessarily long, and you're correct that they have been extended, particularly for corporate rightsholders, to protect their revenue streams from older works.

Disney wants to continue to derive revenues related to "Steamboat Willie" and "Snow White," and retroactive copyright extentions do nothing to promote invention or innovation. But the public interest in having works lapse into the public domain is slight, and the grassroots resistance to copyright extension is diffuse and weak.

Lawrence Lessig at the EFF tried to overturn the extension with litigation, and the Supreme Court basically upheld the law on a basis of deference to Congress. Congress responds to entertainment industry lobbyists. And the world keeps spinning.

I think a hundred years before anyone becomes free to use a song is too long, and I would like to see a provision that allows copyrights to lapse if the rightsholder doesn't circulate the work for a period of years. This would encourage preservation of old films that are being neglected by studios, and might encourage republication of some interesting out-of-print fiction.

However, the exclusivity of copyright is about an artist's right to the integrity of his work as well as his exlcusive financial rights. You operate from the premise that your fanfic sequel to "The Foundation" is beneficial to society.

To the extent there is ambiguity in the original work, it's probably intended, and to the extent he died before resolving those ambiguities, he probably wouldn't have wanted you to resolve them for him.

There's a lot of moral force behind his right not to have you twisting his work into whatever shape you see fit. There is a lot of moral force behind his heirs preventing you from offering some kind of closure on his characters.

If you think you're so good, go make something of your own.

Last edited:

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Read it again.

I read it several times. Arguing that only because something becomes part of the collective psyche makes copyright law difficult to define is... well, frankly, silly. The law is clear, and she seems to be arguing that it's not. I, on the other hand, am arguing that the law should be changed. Not in any way that makes Twilight not protected, because I believe copyright should last a bare minimum of ten years, and I'd prefer more like twenty. You'll note that this would still keep me from publishing my book for another ten years, since I use characters from a book published in 1999, so this still isn't about getting my book published.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I don't think one should hold rights in perpetuity, but I do think that the current long copyright terms make sense. And, if you are smart enough to get rich off your brilliant work (like, I dunno, Milne, or Tolkien), and you can hire a team of lawyers to renew or hold onto those rights, then more power to ya.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net

Please pardon the vulgarity, but BULLSH!T.

One thing? One? Excuse me, I've spent YEARS creating THREE books and I plan to create many more. I gather you haven't been actively seeking publication very long.

I'm going to keep this reply short because I'm reacting the way I do when my teenage son has his head firmly entrenched where the sun doesn't shine.

1. Society benefits from my creativity in that it enjoys what I've written.
2. Society benefits from sales of my work by keeping printers, designers, artists, typesetters, wholesalers, paper companies and salespeople employed.
3. You want society as a whole to benefit monetarily from an individual's work? Communist countries are to the south and east of the US. Enjoy living there.

Good Heavens. I'd laugh if I weren't so gobsmacked.

Come talk to me when you write an original work, refine it several times, query it, get rejected 100+ times, land an agent, the agent sells your book, you get royalties, write more books, and get royalties from those, and then...

A total stranger knocks on your door and says, "Hi! I've written a book that uses all your characters and the worlds you've invented. You've already made enough money from your original ideas and years of work. Now it's my turn. Have a nice day."

:Headbang:

Omega, I'm sure you will be offended by this post and probably put me on Ignore. But in my opinionated opinion you are wrong, pure and simple, 100% wrong. It may be due to simple youth and inexperience. Lord knows I wrote what I thought was a great book when I was younger. (It was an original book, however.)

You cannot take the creation of another person simply because you consider current laws to be unfair. End of story.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I read it several times. Arguing that only because something becomes part of the collective psyche makes copyright law difficult to define is... well, frankly, silly. The law is clear, and she seems to be arguing that it's not. I, on the other hand, am arguing that the law should be changed. Not in any way that makes Twilight not protected, because I believe copyright should last a bare minimum of ten years, and I'd prefer more like twenty. You'll note that this would still keep me from publishing my book for another ten years, since I use characters from a book published in 1999, so this still isn't about getting my book published.

Lessig argues for a shorter copyright term as well, but I think it's entirely unreasonable to even consider a copyright duration that is not at least fifty years long, or that expires during the lifetime of a natural person who is the owner and creator.

Ten years or even twenty is much too short to allow authors to benefit fully from their works. Many works older than this get optioned for films, and the films re-invigorate readers' interest in the books and the author's works.

There are also a number of authors who write breakthrough bestsellers on their fifth or sixth published novels, which creates renewed interest in their catalog of previous work. It would be inequitable for authors to be deprived of these revenues so you could be allowed to dry-hump Issac Asimov's corpse.

This would also completely destroy the economics of music and film. The music industry finances a lot of artists on the basis that a single superstar creates value that can be exploited for decades.

Similarly, movie studios rely on remakes and sequels to franchises they own, as well as home video releases of older movies.

And if you wrote a hit song in 1980 that's still on the radio all the time, and keeps getting used in movies and keeps selling records, you should keep getting the checks.

Reaction score
But why should you and your descendants get paid forever for you doing one thing?

Because it was me who wrote it and my descendents (if I had any) came out of my body.

Now tell me this:

But you also prevent other people from benefiting from their own work.

Why should you get to benefit from someone else's work?

What you are proposing benefits the content creator and his descendants forever...

Because the content creator is the one who created it. Duh.

...and benefits society not at all.

Society can suck my left one if it thinks it has the right to make money off my work.

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
Ten years or even twenty is much too short to allow authors to benefit fully from their works. Many works older than this get optioned for films, and the films re-invigorate readers' interest in the books and the author's works.

But how do you define "benefit fully from their works"? If it's "benefit financially from every profitable derrivation of their work", then why end it at death? What if it gets made into a movie after the author dies? Tough luck for them? If it's not eternal, there has to be a cutoff point somewhere. Death? Arbitrary number of years? Eternity? It's all arbitrary, because we're talking about ideas, not real property.

This would also completely destroy the economics of music and film. The music industry finances a lot of artists on the basis that a single superstar creates value that can be exploited for decades.

So we should maintain current copyright laws to support the business model of the record cartels? Corporatism isn't my preferred method of government. And you might want to look into how much money the content creators actually make in the record industry, because it's pretty much zero.

And if you wrote a hit song in 1980 that's still on the radio all the time, and keeps getting used in movies and keeps selling records, you should keep getting the checks.

WHY? Nobody answers the question WHY? You all keep saying the way you think things should be, I keep asking WHY you think things should be that way, and nobody answers the question! Yes, laws are the way they are. I think they should be changed because they hurt society as a whole. You think they should stay the same because they benefit the rightsholders. But why should the rightsholders benefit outweigh the benefit of society by expansion of works in the public domain? That's the question that has yet to be answered by anything more than "because it's his work" and increasing insults to my integrity and my work. If the only answer is "people should benefit forever from their creations because they should", then you're assuming your conclusion, and there's nothing more to discuss, because your conclusion has no support.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But how do you define "benefit fully from their works"? If it's "benefit financially from every profitable derrivation of their work", then why end it at death? What if it gets made into a movie after the author dies? Tough luck for them? If it's not eternal, there has to be a cutoff point somewhere. Death? Arbitrary number of years? Eternity? It's all arbitrary, because we're talking about ideas, not real property.

FFS.

IDEAS ARE PROPERTY.

So we should maintain current copyright laws to support the business model of the record cartels? Corporatism isn't my preferred method of government.

Let me guess; communism is?

Property is theft, right?

And you might want to look into how much money the content creators actually make in the record industry, because it's pretty much zero.

Uh...right.

WHY? Nobody answers the question WHY?

BECAUSE YOU WROTE THE FUCKING SONG.

You all keep saying the way you think things should be, I keep asking WHY you think things should be that way, and nobody answers the question! Yes, laws are the way they are. I think they should be changed because they hurt society as a whole.

No, they hurt your ability to steal.

You think they should stay the same because they benefit the rightsholders. But why should the rightsholders benefit outweigh the benefit of society by expansion of works in the public domain?

BECAUSE THEY WRITE THE SONGS THAT MAKE THE WHOLE WORLD SING.

That's the question that has yet to be answered by anything more than "because it's his work". If that's the only answer, then you're assuming your conclusion, and there's nothing more to discuss, because your conclusion has no support.

That's the only answer needed.

If you disagree, tell you what, I'll just come round your house and 'make use of' your computer, take all the digital photographs on it, anything you've written and see what money I can make from it because hey, it's not REAL property, is it?

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
If you disagree, tell you what, I'll just come round your house and 'make use of' your computer, take all the digital photographs on it, anything you've written and see what money I can make from it because hey, it's not REAL property, is it?

Given as that statement is in total contradiction to my posts heretofore, at this point it is clear you are ignoring the things I actually say. Why is this? Do you feel some need to be angry at me for disagreeing with you? Does this require to you therefore accuse me of believing things in total opposition to the things I have said, in order to justify your anger?

Reaction score
It is clear you are ignoring the things people in this thread are saying. Why is this? Do you feel the need to patronise me for telling it like it is? Does this require you to accuse me of being angry in order to justify your ignorance?

Oh, and regarding anger - yeah. Thieves make me angry. I'm kinda funny like that.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

How long is up to Congress, which is empowered by the Constitution to make these laws.

You imply that protection for ideas should be somehow less than protection for other kinds of rights. But for many people, including Asimov, their ideas were their livelihood, and their ability to exclude others from reproducing or deriving from their works is the mechanism that permits these people to make a living.

WHY? Nobody answers the question WHY? You all keep saying the way you think things should be, I keep asking WHY you think things should be that way, and nobody answers the question! Yes, laws are the way they are. I think they should be changed because they hurt society as a whole. You think they should stay the same because they benefit the rightsholders. But why should the rightsholders benefit outweigh the benefit of society by expansion of works in the public domain? That's the question that has yet to be answered by anything more than "because it's his work" and increasing insults to my integrity and my work. If the only answer is "people should benefit forever from their creations because they should", then you're assuming your conclusion, and there's nothing more to discuss, because your conclusion has no support.

People should benefit from their creations, because, to the extent that there is commercial value in a work or idea, it is equitable for that value to be realized by the creator or the entity that finances and commissions the work.

Such exclusive rights supply an incentive to create. What is your argument in favor of stripping the rights away from the creators, to allow the work to be exploited financially by others without compensating the author?

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
BECAUSE YOU WROTE THE FUCKING SONG.

That's the only answer needed.

QFT

Furthermore, the OP wants to know why. Let me ask YOU a question.

You write a novel that doesn't use other people's ideas, characters, world building. Everything is original. It took you three years, a divorce, lots of sleepless nights, lots of cursing, screaming, tears, confusion, anger and fucking IMAGINATION to write this epic novel that makes the world stop and go "Wow." You did that. You are proud. You made a difference.

Now, some snot-nosed ass hole with no clue about true work takes your hard work and bastardizes it into something not only not of your creation, but totally and completely ripping off all the work you put into creating this epic.

You, my friend, would be pissed. Anyone would be. This is not Mickey Mouse. This is not Nancy Drew or Trixie Belden. This novel you wrote was published only a few years ago. You are still alive and kicking. YOU OWN everything you created. It is on paper. It is in print.

Snot-nose has no god damned right. Neither do you. Get over it. End of story. No one should benefit from the hard work of others. You die, copyright goes defunct. Snot-nose can do whatever he wants. But until then, it's bull shit. Try using John Coffey in a novel and see how quickly Stephen King rips you a new one. He created that big man with the weepy eyes. John Coffey belongs to him. My characters belong to me because I made them.

My children are mine. No one can take them and say "These are my kids." simply because a certain number of years have gone by. THEY ARE STILL MINE! My name is still on their birth certificate. Therefore, if I publish a multi-million dollar epic, you are damned right they deserve to benefit from my work... more than any rip-off artist would.

Do you honestly think that you should have the right to take other people's work and get glory from it? Really?

How would you feel if you were a lawyer that had just won a big corporate case, but John Q. Attorney down the street got all the credit, the promotion and partnership you worked your ass off for? Wouldn't be so eager to have your glory stolen, then, huh?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm going to move this to AW Roundtable, actually, as it's become a more general discussion about copyright and IP law.

I have to go do some chores, but when I get back I'll try to post some stuff about Creative Commons and Cory Doctorow - which is pretty cool, really, in terms of how he works with Tor (his publisher) to make his work available for free, electronically. But Cory is one of the first to argue that it's his choice to do so, and other writers have the same choice to exercise their Intellectual Property rights in other ways.

There's apparently a LOT of confusion about several things, from some of the recent heated threads I'm seeing here on AW:

What constitutes plagiarism?
Is it still plagiarism if the copied work is in the "public domain"?
What's the difference between plagiarism and derivative work?
What is public domain?
What is creative commons?
What are some of the differences between copyright and trademark?

Other questions? Feel free to chime in if there's stuff you're uncertain about, as well. I'm more than a little freaked out at some of the threads I've seen where members appear to be offering legal advice about this stuff, and willing to argue tooth and nail with people who work with these issues for a living. So I'm thinking maybe I'll solicit a couple of folks who have credentials I can vouch for to work on the FAQ (I'll link it in a bit, too)--we've had TWO count 'em TWO IP specialist lawyers review the AW FAQ about copyright, but it sounds as if there are some sections we need to consider expanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.