Award nominations

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
[Also posted in the Writing for Kids forum as relevant to both YA and MG.]

First, the shortlist for the Carnegie Medal, to be awarded on 25 June. In alphabetical order by author. The age recommendations are those of the judges and are intended as guidelines only.

Frank Cottrell Boyce, Cosmic (8+)
Kevin Brooks, Black Rabbit Summer (14+)
Eoin Colfer, Airman (9+)
Siobhan Dowd, Bog Child (12+)
Keith Gray, Ostrich Boys (12+)
Patrick Ness, The Knife of Never Letting Go (14+)
Kate Thompson, Creature of the Night (14+)

Cosmic. Bog Child and The Knife of Never Letting Go were all shortlisted for the Guardian Children's Fiction Award last year, and the last-named won. The only one I've read is Bog Child, which I liked a lot.

This year's Guardian Children's Fiction Award longlist has just been announced. There will be a shortlist later in the year, and the winner will be announced in September. (The Guardian has given age recommendations in the past but hasn't done so this year.) Again, alphabetical by author.

Bernard Beckett, Genesis
Siobhan Dowd, Solace of the Road
Sally Gardner, The Silver Blade
Morris Gleitzman, Then
Julie Hearn, Rowan the Strange
Mal Peet, Exposure
Terry Pratchett, Nation
Marcus Sedgwick, Revolver

I haven't read any of those, but I've read other novels by Dowd and Peet.

Comments anyone?

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I've heard of Nation, but none of the others.

Thanks for the info, EB!

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Interesting list. I've only heard of a couple of those (and I do read quality - Jellicoe Road is a Prinz winner :D). I'm really curious to see what Airman is about since that thing Eoin Colfer is best known for is the Artemis Fowl series (fun, but not exactly award-worthy lit). The Thompson summary sounds thrilling; I might have to pick that one up!

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
[Also posted in the Writing for Kids forum as relevant to both YA and MG.]

First, the shortlist for the Carnegie Medal, to be awarded on 25 June. In alphabetical order by author. The age recommendations are those of the judges and are intended as guidelines only.

I've made the longlist twice but never the shortlist : (

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Hey, the longlist is a great accomplishment, timewaster! Congrats!

(Unless you mean longlist as in you just happen to publish in the genres these awards are looking at and nothing more . . .) :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware these aren't awards for particular genres - just for children's/MG/YA books published in the UK in the English-language. Presumably they have different eligibility periods, which would explain why three of last year's Guardian shortlist are on this year's Carnegie shortlist.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
And the winner of the 2009 Carnegie Medal is...Bog Child. I'm in favour of that as I thought it was an excellent novel. I'm still two and two thirds out of seven through the shortlist.

Videos with judges' comments on each shortlistee and of the announcement of the winner earlier today can be seen here. This is the first time the Carnegie has been awarded posthumously.

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
And here are the four novels which made the Guardian shortlist. The winner will be announced on 8 October. The age recommendations are those of The Guardian.

Siobhan Dowd, Solace of the Road (12+)
Morris Gleitzman, Then (8+)
Mal Peet, Exposure (12+)
Terry Pratchett, Nation (10+)

It's worth mentioning that Then has just been repackaged with its predecessor Once as a single book for adults called Once & Then.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
My heart says Mal Peet but my head says Nation. I would love for Patrick Ness to win the Carnegie - it's an incredible book.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Patrick Ness's The Ask and the Answer is eligible for next year's Carnegie and next year's Guardian Award. At least he should have more chances to win, unlike Siobhan Dowd, who won this year.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Patrick Ness's The Ask and the Answer is eligible for next year's Carnegie and next year's Guardian Award. At least he should have more chances to win, unlike Siobhan Dowd, who won this year.

As far as Ness goes I have a suspicion that the second book in a series is always less attractive to awards judges, even if it's a better book. That might well work against Exposure as well, although it's less directly related to Keeper and The Penalty...

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like your heart was in the ascendant, Torgo, as the winner is indeed Mal Peet.

Interview with him here.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Looks like your heart was in the ascendant, Torgo, as the winner is indeed Mal Peet.

Interview with him here.

That's such good news. He's an incredible storyteller and a very nice man. I met him at an industry party during which I introduced myself to him while we were performing our ablutions in the gents; we seemed to be on the same cycle thereafter as every time I went back to answer a call of nature I got there at the same time as him. He must have got the impression I was some sort of drunken toilet stalker...

I'm kind of surprised Marcus Sedgwick's Revolver didn't make the shortlist.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Longlist for the 2010 Carnegie Medal here. Titles are subject to eligibility (UK publication between 1 September 2008 and 31 August 2009).

The shortlist will be announced on 23 April and the winner on 24 June.

True

blue rain, na'vi dances, color code
Registered
Reaction score
North of East then West of South, now a little to
I have the The Knife of Never Letting Go right now, but haven't had a chance to read it. I read The Red Necklace, which is the book that came before The Silver Dagger, but haven't read its sequel just yet. I loved the first book, and I recommend it whenever I get the chance to recommend a book.

I might check out the other nominations at some point, though.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Shortlist for the Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy, to be awarded on 15 May at the Nebula Award banquet, in alphabetical order by author:

Kage Baker, HOTEL UNDER THE SAND
Sarah Beth Durst, ICE
Malinda Lo, ASH
Lisa Mantchev, EYES LIKE STARS
John Scalzi, ZOE'S TALE
Rebecca Stead, WHEN YOU REACH ME
Catherynne M. Valente, THE GIRL WHO CIRCUMNAVIGATED FAIRYLAND IN A SHIP OF HER OWN MAKING
Scott Westerfeld, LEVIATHAN

FJAR0009

Burning down the wicked garden.
Registered
Reaction score
The Knife of Never Letting Go pissed me off.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Why's that FJAR? I loved it and basically sprinted through it.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Carnegie Medal shortlist, announced today, for the best MG/YA novel published in the UK in the year 2009. In alphabetical order by author, and the age recommendations are those of the judges.

Laurie Halse Anderson, Chains (11+)
Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book (9+)
Helen Grant, The Vanishing of Katharina Linden (14+)
Julie Hearn, Rowan the Strange (12+)
Patrick Ness, The Ask and the Answer (14+)
Terry Pratchett, Nation (11+)
Philip Reeve, Fever Crumb (9+)
Marcus Sedgwick, Revolver (12+)

The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony on 24 June.

Some surprises there. The only one of those I've read and own is The Ask and the Answer, which is excellent. Some of those I have in the TBR pile I thought might be shortlisted - Siobhan Dowd's Solace of the Road (she won last year, and this is her final novel - was Costa-nominated), Meg Rosoff's The Bride's Farewell (also a past winner), Anna Perera's Guantanamo Boy (was Costa-nominated). Although I don't own a copy and haven't yet read it, I'm surprised Mal Peet's Guardian Award winner Exposure isn't there.

Who will win? Patrick Ness won the Costa earlier this year with the same book, which was on the Guardian shortlist last year, as was Pratchett's novel. Julie Hearn's was on the Guardian longlist. Philip Reeve and Terry Pratchett are past Carnegie winners.

So I guess I'll be hitting Hampshire County Library again. Can I read the remaining seven nominees in two months?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
eyeblink:
I thought might be shortlisted - Siobhan Dowd's Solace of the Road (she won last year, and this is her final novel - was Costa-nominated), Meg Rosoff's The Bride's Farewell (also a past winner), Anna Perera's Guantanamo Boy (was Costa-nominated).

I'm not surprised that Rosoff and Perera weren't nominated. Although I haven't read either, I've been told that the stories in both are thin and the characterisation not particularly great.

The only nominee I've read is The Graveyard Book, which I thought was good but it's really a bundle of short stories with a common theme and it's not especially weighty, which Carnegie winners tend to be.

If I was a betting girl, I'd put my money on Sedgwick or Anderson.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, I've read good reviews of both The Bride's Farewell and Guantanamo Boy. I haven't read either novel yet (though I will do in due course), so will see what I think.

Gaiman and Pratchett are the obvious popular choices, though that may well not cut it as this is a juried award.

The Ask and the Answer is a middle book in a trilogy (and you do have to have read The Knife of Never Letting Go), which usually is a disadvantage when it comes to awards...but that didn't stop it winning the Costa. I have a feeling that Monsters of Men, if it's up to scratch, will be a strong contender next year...and will be eligible for the Guardian Award this year. (The longlist of that award is due to be announced next month.)

Another novel by a past winner that isn't on the list is Melvin Burgess's Nicholas Dane, which seems to have vanished from discussion since it was published. (Unless I'm not looking in the right places...) I haven't read it yet.

Anyway, the library is processing my reservations as we speak.

Last edited:

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I've checked my library catalogue, and the only one they have is The Graveyard Book (Neil Gaiman). I should check it out.

I'll be interested on what you guys think of the books. I haven't had a look at the synopsis of all of them, but judging purely by titles ;) it would appear that there's not as many contemporary works represented?

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson was amazingly done! <3

Dot Hutchison

Falling through Clockwork
Registered
Reaction score
Graveyard Book I loved; it won the Newbery Award for 2008.

Eyes Like Stars I enjoyed, but I have to admit I'm a little surprised to see it on an awards list. It was a fun book, especially for a not-so-reformed theatre student, but it seemed like the format would throw off most awards panels. Still, though, bravo; the sequel comes out this month.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Shortlist for the Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy, to be awarded on 15 May at the Nebula Award banquet, in alphabetical order by author:

Kage Baker, HOTEL UNDER THE SAND
Sarah Beth Durst, ICE
Malinda Lo, ASH
Lisa Mantchev, EYES LIKE STARS
John Scalzi, ZOE'S TALE
Rebecca Stead, WHEN YOU REACH ME
Catherynne M. Valente, THE GIRL WHO CIRCUMNAVIGATED FAIRYLAND IN A SHIP OF HER OWN MAKING
Scott Westerfeld, LEVIATHAN

And the winner is ... Catherynne M. Valente.

Last edited: