The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Essay Mill] Academic Knowledge

[Essay Mill] Academic Knowledge

http://www.academicknowledge.com/

Anyone know anything about this company? I'm doing some research before signing up as a student writer.

I'm going to request some references from writers and clients before I go signing anything.

I'm still not quite comfortable with the ethics as a student myself. Although the website does say the essays are my copyright so any student trying to pass them off as their work would be plaguarising.

Anyone know of anything?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Domain is owned by Barclay Littlewood, of Academic Answers Ltd., aka UKessays.com and a score other "research assistance" mills.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 05-22-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: too many commas
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    It's a papermill.

Run like hell.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Don't do it, Gothic. It's cheating, and beneath you.

Disgruntled Scientist dgiharris's Avatar
    I have a stupid question?

What is bad about this org or orgs like it? Do they just not pay you? do they fudge on their contracts or place the burden on the writer?

Taking a quick glance at their website, not quite sure I see what the problem is?

Mel...

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
    Their primary purpose in life is to help rich students cheat.

Teacher by day, YA writer by night Senora Verde's Avatar
    As a high school English teacher, I have a HUGE problem with this. If I wanted a perfect essay on Hamlet to read at my leisure on the weekends, I would pay you to write me one, really I would. But that's not why I assign essays.

I assign essays so students can learn to write. The only way they can learn how to write is by doing it, and sometimes failing at it.

I can't blame the students for wanting an easy way out.

But please, don't do it!

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gothicangel View Post
    I'm still not quite comfortable with the ethics as a student myself. Although the website does say the essays are my copyright so any student trying to pass them off as their work would be plaguarising.
    I can't imagine that claim is anything other than BS. The idea of such sites is for students to buy an already-written essay to submit as work the student did a class assignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgiharris View Post
    I have a stupid question?

What is bad about this org or orgs like it? Do they just not pay you? do they fudge on their contracts or place the burden on the writer?

Taking a quick glance at their website, not quite sure I see what the problem is?

Mel...
    It's the whole moral thing of getting paid to do another person's homework for them. The site may be worded in a way that it doesn't say that's what's going on, but it's a wink-wink nudge-nudge sort of thing. Remembers an old Monty Python skit

On many Usenet newsgroups (since I was just mentioning Usenet in another thread) there are occasional posts from new posters that look remarkably like the poster is asking for the answer to a homework problem (and that's usually what's happening). Answers are almost always made in the most general way possible, saying things that are useful for learning the subject, but useless for answering the specific problem without the student poster doing the actual work.
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

Disgruntled Scientist dgiharris's Avatar
    DUh,

for some wierd reason my brain wasn't connecting the dots. Its for STUDENTS to pass off as their own stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to write for a student. O.k. thanks

Mel...

I know I have the same ethical dilemma going on - I probably won't. I understand it from the teachers/tutor's side; but it's incredibly hard been academically brilliant (on course for a first class degree) and being in financial hardships to an extent that it may force you out of University.

This is probably where they will find writers desperate to pay bills.

Don't worry OH you've guilted me out of it!
    Last edited by gothicangel; 05-22-2009 at 11:39 AM.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It is incredibly hard, and those that manage it without resorting to cheating have much to be proud of. But making it easier to cheat is just encouraging people to fail and when people in genuine hardship complain the administration can point to the cheaters and say: 'what are you whining about, they managed to get their work done'. I don't think it can be justified. Especially given that those under financial hardhip would be the last to pay money for work they could do themslves--if indeed they could.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Academic Answers Ltd. name change to All Answers Ltd.

For Inception-level irony, these are the folks behind the Viper "plagiarism scanner" (http://www.scanmyessay.com/), where scanned essays then become grist for the mills: https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2013...ealing-essays/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: