Krampus and St. Nicholas

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Agency] Donadio & Olson, Inc.

Yay!!!

MAYBE IN PARIS - YA contemporary - coming June 6th 2017 from Sky Pony Press! Now available to preorder on Amazon!

Represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!

Add my book on Goodreads!

Facebook - I don't really know what I'm doing there yet
    Twitter - Sometimes I'm funny there
    Tumblr - My blog

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Congrats, Smiley! Sounds like you did pretty awesomely on the agent front there.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0501 View Post
    Bumping this thread way up

I did a Twitter pitch contest called #pitmad and got a request from Carrie Howland for the first 50 pages. It turned into a full, then an offer. I ultimately ended up with 4 offers but went back to Carrie, who I cannot talk more highly of. She is prompt in her responses, whether phone or email, and knows the industry. Though some of her sales aren't on PM, she's made good ones (most recently - a YA Greek mythology to R@nd0m H0use for 2015 and one of her adult sales releases in July ). She is very editorial (seriously my edit letter is 5 pages), but she knows what she's doing.

Here's the official stats w/Carrie:
    3/28 - #Pitmad req for YA contemp, first 50 pgs.
    5/2 - Req for full ms
    5/9 - Offer of representation
    5/19 Offer accepted.

That's awesome! Congrats, Smiley!!!!!
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

TSW
    : Querying

ZA: Outlined, will be written soon

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

the wicked wit of the west IdrisG's Avatar
    Congrats, Smiley!
    Writing: Fear Her
    Revising: The Hotel Kincaid, Seer
    Brainstorming: The Dawn of Echo, A House Divided
    Backburner: A Dangerous Beat, Thyme & Thunder

Idris Grey | GoodReads | Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter | WattPad |

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    Thanks, everyone. Now onto lots of revisions and hopefully eventually sub
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Does anyone know if Carrie responds to partials or if no-response = no and if nudging is necessary (I've never nudged before, so I am hesitant)? It's definitely been over the three-month mark since I sent fifty pages.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

I checked a few comments on QueryTracker and it seems like she responds to partials. I would consider nudging.

Also, if you have the $25 to spare, I suggest getting the upgraded membership to QueryTracker while in the querying process. The date they provide on submissions to individual agents was really helpful for me in determining how long to wait before nudging and whether or not the agents ever responded, among other things.

figuring it all out quianaa2001's Avatar
    I queried her on 1/19, followed up and still never got a reply. Is nothing a no? Or does she reply?
    Should I resend or not?

figuring it all out quianaa2001's Avatar
    BUMP

ANYONE?

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quianaa2001 View Post
    I queried her on 1/19, followed up and still never got a reply. Is nothing a no? Or does she reply?
    Should I resend or not?
    Definitely resend. I believe Carrie & her assistant reply to all queries . Good luck!!
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

practical experience, FTW
    Has anyone experienced being recommended a free lance editor by this agency? I know that it's sketchy for agencies to do so, but this is a very reputable place. I was wondering how it would work. Would the author be expected to pay for the editing of a recommended free lance editor or would this be something deducted from the author's check?

In this case I would hope the agency is paying for the editing service. Otherwise it's a conflict of interest. WriteStarfish, have you signed with this agency?

I have not. This is why I was wondering- if your ideas are liked but you've not yet signed and they recommend a particular editor, then I was uncertain of who would pay.

This editorial referral still seems like a conflict to me. Have you posed the question to the agency about who is expected to pay? Asked them about conflict of interest? Asked if this is their norm of business behavior? Have they given you any actual language they'd be interested in signing you if the manuscript was edited? In that case, you'd be wise to shop around for an editor, especially if the agency isn't investing, and it's your dime.

Anyone else had a particular experience like this with this agency?
    Last edited by Maddie; 10-31-2014 at 09:23 AM.

There's nothing too specific yet. I haven't been given a name or anything, so not like they're trying to push someone. I was told that they know of someone who is particularly good if I'm interested. They're reviewing a second piece currently though and so perhaps no editor will even be required if they go for that one instead. I know that recommending editors is a major conflict, but because of the AAR status of their agents and their reputable nature I was wanting to inquire further if anyone else had this experience. Thanks for your help too!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

pitmad request from Elisabet Paredes, Donadio and Olson, Inc.

Hi all! I received a pitmad partial request from D&O and it was just changed to a full. Yay! But it came from someone who is not listed as an agent on their website. Has anyone worked with Elisabet? I could not find her, or the agency, on Querytracker either. It makes it hard to do research!

Thanks,
    Rebecca

She might be an agent's assistant who is making the transition into agenting herself.

Just Googled, and according to linked in she's an Editorial Intern at D&O. She has experience at Bloomsbury and some magazines. That's all I got.

Also: congratulations!

Thedrellum,

Thanks! I did see the see the position on linked in, but since that's self-reported, I was hoping for something on the D&O website. But I'm overthinking. I found D&O on agent query and somehow Carrie Howland comes up on query tracker even though the agency doesn't??????

But I'm working away at a last read-through/revision so I can send it off with every finger and toe crossed!
    Rebecca

Unusual Question

I have an unusual question.

This agency strikes me as an attractive place to submit, however, when I go to their site my anti-virus software immediately gives me a danger warning.

I've tried calling the D&O office, but there was no answer, only the opportunity to leave a message, which I did not do.

Anyone have any insight about this?

practical experience, FTW Davy The First's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ObeysGravity View Post
    I have an unusual question.

This agency strikes me as an attractive place to submit, however, when I go to their site my anti-virus software immediately gives me a danger warning.

I've tried calling the D&O office, but there was no answer, only the opportunity to leave a message, which I did not do.

Anyone have any insight about this?
    Well, don't call their office. They have a submissions form. If this link don't work, the issue is likely with your browser, making it a tech question.

https://www.donadio.com/submissions-1

Keeper of Fort Blanket L.C. Blackwell's Avatar
    I have some reason to suspect that Submittable (which powers D.O.s query form) has started selling email addresses for marketing purposes. You might want to create a free email account for this submission only (and don't forget to keep checking it!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123