Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Donadio & Olson, Inc.

practical experience, FTW Rebecca_Rogers's Avatar

[Agency] Donadio & Olson, Inc.

I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with Carrie Howland or this agency? I searched the forums, but noticed they weren't listed. I also noticed they didn't have $ listed beside their name on P&E.

Wanted to check before I query her...

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Her AW page: http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=1072

D&O's a solid agency. Carrie's new to Donadio (joined in Feb), but she's a member of AAR, so she has a sales record.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    I just tried twice to equery Carrie at the address listed on AQ. It bounced back both times.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

I went ahead and queried her earlier today, but mine didn't bounce back.

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants Juneluv12's Avatar
    Mine was fine, too.

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky

Well, either it's my computer or you guys are sending it to a different addy.
    D.M. Anderson

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

carrie@donadio.com? I just copied and pasted from AQ.

So did I.
    D.M. Anderson

Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

That's so weird..

Quote Originally Posted by frandavea View Post
    I just tried twice to equery Carrie at the address listed on AQ. It bounced back both times.

I tried 3 times....twice at Carrie's email address and once at the mail@......address. I called the office to see if something was wrong with their email.....I don't think they know there is a problem.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Jefflrich's Avatar
    I'm giving Carrie a shot as well. Sent email this morning and it seems to have gone through without issue.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you have sent could not be delivered to one or more
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address failed:

<carrie@donadio.com>: Backend Replied [22f861a4.3006139280.58131.00-116.p01c11m101.mxlogic.net]: 5.7.1 Message rejected as spam by Content Filtering. (Mode: queuesafe)

That's what I keep getting.

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants Juneluv12's Avatar
    Did you have a website address or something in there that might kick it out? I had trouble sending my partial to an agent the other day b/c I had a web link in it. I tried it on three separate account, and they all rejected it.

Once I took that out, it went through fine.

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Juneluv12 View Post
    Did you have a website address or something in there that might kick it out? I had trouble sending my partial to an agent the other day b/c I had a web link in it. I tried it on three separate account, and they all rejected it.

Once I took that out, it went through fine.

Just my email address under the signature...it's not a webpage though.

Is it a link or plain text? Make sure it's not being turned into a link when you send it. And your content is pasted rather than attached, yes?

What sort of account are you using? Some systems block hotmail and other oft-abused providers. If you have another account, try from that one.

Also, they don't specify it, but it's a good idea to have "query" in the subject line, if you don't already.

And when all else fails, go snail mail.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Is it a link or plain text? Make sure it's not being turned into a link when you send it. And your content is pasted rather than attached, yes?

What sort of account are you using? Some systems block hotmail and other oft-abused providers. If you have another account, try from that one.

Also, they don't specify it, but it's a good idea to have "query" in the subject line, if you don't already.

And when all else fails, go snail mail.

I'll go snail mail. It's comcast......and yes, I put "Query" in the subject line. Nothing is attached, it's all pasted into the mail. It does look like it made a link, but this is the first time I've ever gotten a message like that. I'll fix it and try again, thanks for the suggestions.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin River Rat's Avatar
    I tried e-mailing her twice (including today) and both bounced back. I have had no problems with anyone else and have conformed to the usual format, etc. Maybe she just has a little box and you just have to get lucky.

I just e-mailed her (using hotmail) and didn't bounce. I guess it got through.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin EchelonPress's Avatar
    Um, dude, we have been trying to get in touch with you to offer you a contract for Killer cows. Could you please get in touch with me, Karen Syed, at Echelon Press/Quake. admin@echelonpress.com

Note to authors: always put contact info on actual manuscript, cover letters almost always get lost by publishers at some point.

Karen Syed
    http://klsyed.com

Which "dude" are you talking to?

ETA: Ah, I see now. Please take it PM.
    ICAO
    ---------

figuring it all out J. M. Hunter's Avatar
    I don't have any experience with Carrie Howland, but I queried Edward Hibbert on May 5 and got a request for a partial on June 15.

I didn't get any emails bounced, but I also didn't get any confirmation, which seems to be par for the course.

As for the agency, they are listed in the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2009 as being a member of AAR, though other details are scarce. They did mention that they are interested in literary fiction and non-fiction. Another site listed Carrie as an Associate Agent.
    J. M. Hunter

"It's all make believe, isn't it?" - Marilyn Monroe

Complete: Gods Go Begging (Currently Querying)
    WIP: The Magnificent Maude (65,000 words so far)
    Blog (I'm trying it out): Belles-Lettriste: Uncategorhetorical

Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianGoddess View Post
    I'll go snail mail. It's comcast......and yes, I put "Query" in the subject line. Nothing is attached, it's all pasted into the mail. It does look like it made a link, but this is the first time I've ever gotten a message like that. I'll fix it and try again, thanks for the suggestions.
    I got the exact same problem. The only 'link' was my email address; I tried again using (at) and (dot) instead of the @ and . and got the same results.

Snail mail it is, I guess.
    Si tu n'es pas une lumière, tu dois réfléchir.

I'm considering querying this agency for my gay-themed young adult. J.M. - how did you come to query Edward Hibbert? He's listed on LitMatch and Querytracker as not accepting unsolicited queries. Maybe he hasn't updated his status? Also, LitMatch lists another agent Darren Web as interested in gay/lesbian fiction. I couldn't find any information about him. Any leads?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by AyJay View Post
    I'm considering querying this agency for my gay-themed young adult. J.M. - how did you come to query Edward Hibbert? He's listed on LitMatch and Querytracker as not accepting unsolicited queries. Maybe he hasn't updated his status? Also, LitMatch lists another agent Darren Web as interested in gay/lesbian fiction. I couldn't find any information about him. Any leads?
    Hi fellow New Yorker!

Darren Web is listed in Agent Query as accepting queries. I think Agent Query has more up-to-date listings than LitMatch and QueryTracker:

http://www.agentquery.com/search.aspx

Good luck!

Hey Merc - I saw Darren there too. Not much info. Says he doesn't accept e-mail queries. Anyone have experience with him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast