Congratulations to Norway - But still a great result for the United Kingdom

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, when Russia won the Eurovision song contest, there were many who grumbled it was all due to political voters and Eastern Europe voting for their own.

Certainly there was some of that but I took the view that we (the United Kingdom) could not grumble about losing if we weren't prepared to send in a decent entry. After all, the UK doesn't send half hearted athletes to the olympic game.

But this year we actually tried hard, sending a good song and a good singer to represent us. And we had our best result since 2002. The United Kingdom, out of 25 countries in the final and all who compete, came 5th.

Norway won, and they put in a good show, but Jade Ewen did us proud. It just shows that if we really do try we can get results.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I always look forward to Eurovision, and watch it every year if I can. I really enjoyed this year's: most of the songs were decent, there was the compulsory crazy entry (Germany!) and it really helped that the UK's entry was all right. Loved Graham Norton's warmth and humour. I actually bought the Turkish entry from iTunes - silly lyrics, but a catchy tune.

I loved that the UK gave Germany votes - the British public can always be relied upon to reward a really go-for-broke nutso performance. :D