Summer Challenge Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
By all means, join in. The water's gone cold and the drinks suck but the encouragement is priceless. :D

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Great. I'll have all four kids at home and I'm trying to finish a nonfiction book. I'm under pressure to freelance to help my "platform." I've signed up for a weightloss challenge on another writing board (The twins left me with an extra 15 pounds and, apparently, they are not planning to take it back.). My hubby will be traveling again, so I'll be on my own a lot.

Yet, here I am saying, "Please, please! May I join! I really want to finish my second novel!"

JamieMT

Lurker in the Corner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamiedebree.com
So...no ice needed, and be wary of vampire beverages - check!

Thanks for the welcome! I have the first four scenes planned out, and I'm starting tomorrow. Just under 1000 words per day needed to finish.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Great. I'll have all four kids at home and I'm trying to finish a nonfiction book. I'm under pressure to freelance to help my "platform." I've signed up for a weightloss challenge on another writing board (The twins left me with an extra 15 pounds and, apparently, they are not planning to take it back.). My hubby will be traveling again, so I'll be on my own a lot.

Yet, here I am saying, "Please, please! May I join! I really want to finish my second novel!"

Absolutely, the more the merrier. Summer is the worst time for writing for me because I have all the kids home, my husband is home an extra day due to 4 10's (which I love! but it doesn't help my writing out) he's losing his job, we're looking at a cross country move, but I still feel the need to have a writing goal firmly in place.

So really, you'll fit right in!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely, the more the merrier. Summer is the worst time for writing for me because I have all the kids home, my husband is home an extra day due to 4 10's (which I love! but it doesn't help my writing out) he's losing his job, we're looking at a cross country move, but I still feel the need to have a writing goal firmly in place.

So really, you'll fit right in!

I adore my guy, but I can't work with him around either. It's like having a fifth kid. Thanks for the welcome and the motivaton!

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! This is just the kind of time frame/deadline I need. I actually think I'll be more productive with my older kids out of school, since they can help entertain the youngers.

I'm writing a coming of age-ish YA novel. Aiming for 50,000(ish) words.

I've actually already started it, but I'm scrapping the beginning and starting over. Tonight. For sure.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
So I got to page 12 on my middle grade reader and since I'm going to be getting extensive notes on my horror script that writing project is on hold. I am instead substituting a fantasy I had on hold but am pulling out the stops since a publisher actually said they're looking for a swashbuckler fantasy, which I happen to already have started.

What a great coincidence. It's up to page 20 now from page 10. This is going to be fun. :D

JamieMT

Lurker in the Corner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamiedebree.com
363 words last night, up to 1,105 today. I love this part, where words are just flowing easily, and the writing is fresh and new. :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
blackink: love your screen name (being a fountain pen junkie - not rehabbed) love your sig. Welcome aboard.

Ok, Icerose, I'm gonna hold you to this: fantasy! Swashbuckler! Begin!

It's just getting good! Werewolf first mate, water mages, a fire serpent that lives on his own magic island chain. A massive debt of gold and a deadline all done on sea battles while trying to dodge pirates! It's such a ride to write this one. :D

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Finally started. I'm still new to this-I've finished 2 first drafts but never went on to do revisions. My 13yo daughter is a fellow bookworm and keeps asking to read what I've written. My goal is to write and revise this WIP to the point that I can share it with her without total mortification. Baby steps, right?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Finally started. I'm still new to this-I've finished 2 first drafts but never went on to do revisions. My 13yo daughter is a fellow bookworm and keeps asking to read what I've written. My goal is to write and revise this WIP to the point that I can share it with her without total mortification. Baby steps, right?

Welcome to the progress! My middle grade reader series The Goblin Gate is being written for my oldest daughter. She's seven. I can't finish a chapter without her demanding to hear it, so no luck on the second draft for me. Though it's really encouraging to have to report to my daughter every day and tell her whether or not I've finished the newest chapter.

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote last night, though not much. I'm still not loving my opening scene, but I'm trying to plow ahead.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
OK. I am back. I got not only 4 pages, but 8 pages cuz I didn't write yesterday. And I wouldn't have if not for wannawrite... in an interesting spin on things. Everything happens for a reason.

(see my blog if you wanna know more) - shameless plug! Really!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Gratz bettie! With the party yesterday I didn't get any writing done, but today is saturday and laundry day so hopefully after I get some things squared away I'll be able to knock a few pages out myself. My daughter is waiting for her chapter.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I managed 1000 yesterday. It's still a bit slow-going, but that's ok. I did a touch more outlining and did a lot of staring at the ceiling talking to myself.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My writing is like sludge at the moment. I've got a sick kid and he wants constant babying. I did send a few queries out and now I'm going to try and drag 1000 words out of my head.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Only 600 words or so today. Got into a funk again. I think I'm trying to rush this first part and I need to back off and let the characters do their thang. Even if it'll take way more chronological time than I originally planned.

So I guess my hero will have to take that cattle drive and 3 mo separation later in the story. He can't avoid getting to market forever....

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, 895 words today. Just as slow as I expected, but the scene is gradually taking shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.