Hello new favorite forum

laidoff

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been reading on this forum for a few weeks and finally decided to join to take advantage of some of the many benefits members are entitled to; namely meaningful conversation with other aspiring writers. Like most of you I have made my rounds doing the freelance thing online and unfortunately the whole one cent per word thing just can’t cut it anymore. It was nice before as a supplementary income from a hobby, but after being laid off several months ago I have decided to give writing a serious go.

I first started writing probably close to five years now when I had the brilliant idea of applying to several different film schools. I fully intended on attending a film school after visiting a few different campuses to see what they had to offer and to my utter surprise the head of one of the schools completely talked me out of attending film school by raising the argument that it was a waste of money and that with enough perseverance you could make it without any schooling at all. Needless to say the film department of this school was closed shortly thereafter and I ended up getting another crappy job. I did however keep up with my writing hoping to someday write a great screenplay.

A few months later I decided I needed a change of scenery and moved to the other side of the country to the beautiful mountain town of Banff, Alberta where I stayed for a few months. After returning home, still wanting to be a writer I decided to look into another form of writing I had not yet considered; books. I set out to write a semi realistic/semi fictional account of my time in Banff (think Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas) and the 6500KM drive home across the country that ended my working vacation in the mountains. I was very unsatisfied with the end project and never ended up doing anything with it, though I may go back to it someday when I feel I have the pieces it is missing.

From that point I worked crappy job to crappy job constantly coming up with ideas for movies and now books and never getting to far into any one project before coming up with an idea for a project that seemed to be ten times better than the current one. After being laid off from my last job I decided that this method had to stop and that I needed to pick a story and see it through to its end; however bitter it may turn out to be. In the end I was able to option one script rather quickly; though I have some serious doubts that it will ever make its way to production. I also now have another feature script completed, which I am looking to start marketing as soon as possible. Currently I am working on two different books which cover completely different genres and also contemplating giving up books to focus 100% on screenplays.

Sorry to bore those of you who were expecting a brief ‘hi, how ya doing’ but I enjoy a good introduction so I figure it is only fair that I give one. Look forward to seeing you all around boards!

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Hey. Welcome. I can't promise any "meaningful conversation" but hopefully, none of it will be dull.:D

:welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
meaningful conversation? .......I got nothing.

:welcome:to AW.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, how ya doin?

:welcome: to The Hotel California Absolute Write Water Cooler!

And you don't know the half of it with "new favorite forum" - check out our post counts. Check out Waine's, he's only been here six months! :D