So what's for dinner?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, blac. Your meals always sound so good. I may have to come to Alaska just so I can have dinner at your house. I'd bring you a bottle of Laphroaig.

MM

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, blac. Your meals always sound so good. I may have to come to Alaska just so I can have dinner at your house. I'd bring you a bottle of Laphroaig.

MM

You could come to Ann Arbor with the Laphraig and I'd take you to Taco Bell or someplace.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I've got my choice of leftovers tonight. Stew and mashed potatoes, tomato sauce with hot sausage, or a half a New York steak.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Leftover Italian sausage with peppers and onions and leftover angel hair pasta with garlic oil and grated Parmigiana.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I decided I wanted to brine tonight's pork chops before I grilled them, and found this recipe on line:

2 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup kosher or sea salt
3 tbs unsulfured molasses
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups ice cubes

Stir water and following 5 ingredients together until combined and salt is dissolved. Stir in the ice. Place 4 pork chops in a ziplock bag, pour in brine and seal. Refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours. Remove chops, discard brine, pat chops dry and grill as you normally would.

I was a bit skeptical about the vanilla, but it really added an extra dimension to the bourbon/molasses flavors. I didn't have particularly thick chops (maybe an inch and a half) so 2 hours of brining was plenty.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds interesting mrsmig. I wonder why ice cubes? And could you taste the vanilla?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds interesting mrsmig. I wonder why ice cubes? And could you taste the vanilla?

The ice cubes are a way of adding more water to the recipe while cooling the brine down (you don't want to put raw meat in warm brine). And the vanilla wasn't hugely present, but it seemed to soften the bourbon and molasses flavors - round them out, as it were.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tenth anniversary so we treated ourselves to omakase at one of the high-end sushi places in Cleveland. Ooooh...matake mushrooms! Fried eggplant with bonito shavings! Herring roe! Yuzu sorbet! DEEP FRIED SHRIMP HEADS~!!!!

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Toasted crumpets, layer of butter, layer of cheese, layer of shredded crispy bacon, another layer of cheese, then more bacon.

Perfect breakfast for a blustery autumn day.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
chicken thighs baked with a honey/orange/cumin glaze. And maybe a caprese salad for starters.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just grabbed some stuff from the freezer. Turkey soup, beef ravioli, Brussels spouts, carrots.

I keep running into ads that show delectable rock lobster tails. Now I am just dying for a rock lobster tail. No, one won't be enough, I want two. Maybe I can get some at the grocery store and the cost won't be astronomical. Or maybe I'll just bake the ravioli and wait for the lobster urge to pass. :/

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Today is national cheeseburger day. So of course we had ... Shepherds Pie! Coleman's mixes are wonderful.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I made pasta carbonara from scratch. I started too late and rushed too much so I didn't have time to get the pasta as thin as it should have been, so the noodles were thick and tough. I was not a fan. But the sauce was delicious, so I did that part right. Next time I'm going to start it an hour earlier so I have time to roll it out thin, and I'm going to cut it thinner (it swelled up widthwise which made it even tougher). Mom turned down my offer to go to Olive Garden next time, said she'd let me keep experimenting on her. So I must be doing something right.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Avocado halves stuffed with seafood salad. Salad consists of fake crab (pollock), shrimp, shredded lettuce (iceberg in this case), caraway seeds, chopped green onion, salt, pepper, and celery salt, and enough mayo to hold it together. It's also good on a croissant or stuffed into half a pita.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yum. I haven't had a BLT in years.

I was going to have a Wendy's apple chicken pecan salad and a small chili. But DH forgot my chili and Wendy's was out of apples so I just had the rest of it.

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score
Going to be making some moussaka tonight. Omnomnom. I don't eat mincemeat anymore (hangover from when I was vegetarian) so I use soya mince. Wish I'd remembered to add red cooking wine to the shopping list though.

Edit; well, the structure sort of collapsed in on me and I'm not proud of that white sauce... but once it was on the plate (and, more importantly, in my mouth) it tasted pretty darn good. Even if it didn't turn out picture-perfect.
Gonna have some ice cream for dessert methinks.

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
It's my birthday so I'm having sirloin steak with garlic fried kale, chestnut mushrooms and potato croquettes.

I love steak.