So what's for dinner?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Food for the day: 2 Wendy's salads, no dressing or other toppings. Chicken and strawberry salad, and apple pecan chicken salad. Salad, chicken, salad, chicken blah blah blah.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to a lobster dinner this evening, put on by the local Rotary Club as a yearly fund raiser. It's held under "the big tent" here in town and I'll be dining with about 400 other folk wearing plastic bibs sitting at long, paper covered tables. Probably the one and only time I'll be eating lobster this year.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lobster dinner, yum.

I'm having grilled shrimp, grilled vegetables, and salad. Low cal and delicious. But not as delicious as lobster.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Low cal is what I need. The lobster was good, but it was dunked in butter, along side a buttered (and sour creamed) baked potato, white bun with butter and a creamy coleslaw. I love summer but there is entirely too much indulgence, so starting Monday I'm eating salads for dinner.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made "Lasagna" last night, but used (thinly-sliced) eggplant :eggplant instead of lasagna noodles - Trying to cut back on the carbs, yanno - Also, left out the ricotta cheese.

So it was layers of seasoned eggplant slices, ground beef, marinara sauce, spinach and shredded cheddar and mozzarella .

It actually turned out great.

This was a memory bump. I had lasagna made with eggplant years ago in a restaurant and it was yummy.

I don't do well with eggplant (one of the few times I tried making it I even ended up throwing out the pan), so I bought zucchini yesterday. I have a container of 'sauce' in the freezer, so I'm going to make zucchini lasagna. I also loathe ricotta, so I'll be using mozzarella and mixed shredded cheese.

MM

sgcassidy

longue vie et de la vodka
Registered
Reaction score
Broiled Salmon fillet, lemon glaze, lightly steamed broccoli florets, wild rice and sour dough rolls with REAL SALTED BUTTER. Supplemented with fresh raw oysters from Chincoteague Virginia, a chilled bottle of J.J.Vincent Pouilly Fuisse , and homemade tiramisu. Now if I could only find someone to do the dishes, I'm sleepyyyy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Steak salad w/apples, fresh mozzarella and homemade pesto.

And right now, we've got this Skillet Peach Cobbler baking in the oven and vanilla gelato in the freezer. :D

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Waffles with fresh peaches and maple syrup.

I've had them for breakfast three days in a row and I love them so much I'm having them for dinner tonight - and maybe tomorrow. There is something about the combination of a waffle, it's crispy squares dripping with salted butter (and it must be salted butter for the optimum taste sensation) topped with sweet, tangy, juicy peaches (and their hint of bitterness) swimming in maple syrup that hits every taste bud on my tongue. If you haven't tried waffles with peaches and syrup I urge you to try it before the peach season ends - if not for dinner, for breakfast at least.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Well, now I just want waffles, but we only have one of the old style waffle makers and those are too thin to quell the craving. I'll just go sulk with fresh peaches and strawberries.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
pasta puttanesca with tuna. roasted eggplant and pepper salad on the side.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
just some crackers & cheese. But I went to the farmer's market today, and now I have a peach/blueberry crumble in the oven. Yum!

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Fruit crumbles are the best! We have one made from local peaches that was baked last night, is still crisp and wonderful today.

For dinner, though, I dove headlong back into my Chinese cooking, since I finally ordered a replacement of my favorite cookbook after, oh, five years of having it stolen? Tomorrow will be chicken and spinach eggrolls, but tonight is pork stirfried with bok choy and baby corn, with sticky rice.

Beverage is a blueberry cream soda (made with cream, homemade blueberry syrup and fizzy water).

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peach/blueberry crumble omg *drools*

Just a regular easy-peasy dinner for us tonight. Marie Callender frozen pot pies here, small chicken pies for me and hubs, large beef pie for large son. Mixed frozen veggies (carrots, Brussels sprouts, and mixed vegetables, with chicken bouillon cubes). And fruit salad (fresh oranges and apples, canned pineapple, raisins).

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Omelet with five year old Australian Cheddar and a leftover beef/lamb shawarma sammich.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce and limes from mah very own lime tree that was supposed to be an orange tree; cold vegetable tray (tomato, cucumber, green onion, carrot sticks); baked tilapia; cooked vegetables and cold fruit salad left from last night.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Pesto Pizza

I often make this for my kids for an evening snack - it's relatively healthy not too calorific and pretty darn tasty and I forgot to take something out before going to work today so it was a quick dinner. The method; Smear a pita for each person with a heaping tsp of pesto, sprinkle grated mozzarella, top with your fav toppings - I like veggie - chopped cherry tomatoes, pepper and onions. Stick under the broiler til cheese is melted and everything is hot. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Last night's steak tips with mushrooms in Merlot sauce with a side of angel hair in garlic and oil.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tuna on saltines and wine. Hush.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
An It's-It ice cream sandwich. Imported from Washington.

Don't judge me.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Lemon-pepper chicken breasts, with white wine, a little sesame oil, squeezed juice from an orange and fresh ground pepper, along with asparagus, broccoli and a chopped red bell pepper, likewise with sesame oil, ground pepper and orange juice, all wrapped in kale leaves and baked in a pan at 425 degrees in the oven for ~25 minutes.

The wrapping in kale leaves (broccoli leaves, collard leaves, other flat greens work well, too) serve to keep moisture in and make things bake evenly. I learned this from an Alton Brown cooking show, and it works very well with seafood, too.

caw