So what's for dinner?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
In honour of St. Paddy's day - corned beef, potatoes and cabbage.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moroccan chicken pie. Store-bought. Smells pretty good, though. It's our first time trying it.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle, sauteed zucchini, porkchop and a sauce made by deglazing the pan with home made ginger beer, and a bit of cream.

ConChron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
a-muse-or-amuse.blogspot.com
Lamb patties filled with feta cheese, home make tomato sauce and potatoes.

I'll never make it again. My oldest son said it best;
"Sometimes we need to be reminded of the bad things to truly appreciate the good things."

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Lamb patties filled with feta cheese, home make tomato sauce and potatoes.

I'll never make it again. My oldest son said it best;
"Sometimes we need to be reminded of the bad things to truly appreciate the good things."
huh?? But it sounds so tasty! What went wrong?

ConChron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huh?? But it sounds so tasty! What went wrong?

I'm guessing it's the fact that it was lamb. We usually don't eat lamb. The taste of the patties was... "off" and nothing I did could save it.

Today we're having "train wreck" = take what you have in the fridge, throw it in a pan and hope for the best. It's usually not bad as long as there are potatoes and onions in the base.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Yeah, lamb has a distinct flavour and if you're not used to it, it can seem "off". I've been eating it since I was a kid, and I love it.

Tonight, I'm not sure, but it needs to involve mushrooms.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the fact that it was lamb. We usually don't eat lamb. The taste of the patties was... "off" and nothing I did could save it.

What was your sorce for the lamb? Freshly butchered by you or yours, or a grocery store or something else? The most common problems are using wool sheep instead of meat sheep for the meat which tends to give it a soapy texture and flavor due to the lanolin. The other main problem is that the grocery store was selling the meat past its freshness. One time we traced a problem to a bad jar of Thyme. It was new, just tasted terrible and ruined the dish.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Tonight is more cleaning out the fridge. I've got lettuce, carrots, green onions, mint, a nectarine, raspberries and pico de gallo that must be eaten by tomorrow.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight is more cleaning out the fridge. I've got lettuce, carrots, green onions, mint, a nectarine, raspberries and pico de gallo that must be eaten by tomorrow.

That and a small can of protein should get you a salad that is a complete meal. That could be a small can of tuna, or chicken or a medium sized can of garbanzos. It depends upon how hot it is. If hot, go with the beans. If cold, go with the canned meat.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
That and a small can of protein should get you a salad that is a complete meal. That could be a small can of tuna, or chicken or a medium sized can of garbanzos. It depends upon how hot it is. If hot, go with the beans. If cold, go with the canned meat.
I'm going with tacos! Scrambled egg tacos with pico and lettuce. Raspberries for dessert. The remaining lettuce will top an egg salad sammich (containing green onions) for lunch tomorrow with a nectarine and carrots on the side.

Mint should last a bit longer, and I'll dry it if starts to go.

Phew.

I'm going to have to do this every week from now on so I don't get buried under the deliveries.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What my Mother used to call boo-fay. As in, assorted leftovers, none of which is enough for all of us. So we each had something different, and there is now room in the fridge to start over.

MM

ConChron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What was your sorce for the lamb? ...

Thank you for the info. We got it from a friend and I have no idea where she got it.

What my Mother used to call boo-fay.

My mother's word for it can be loosely translated into "gossip", since it tells the story of what you've been eating for a couple of days. I like your mother's better. :D

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
What my Mother used to call boo-fay. As in, assorted leftovers, none of which is enough for all of us. So we each had something different, and there is now room in the fridge to start over.

MM
Leftover smorg! Mine used to do that too.

Tonight, not sure. I'll have to wait and see what I get in my veggie delivery! *very acited*

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Pork roast with sherry & garlic in crock pot. I have a pork roast cooking 4 about 10 hours, I poured the sherry over it and then used salt, pepper sage & tossed some garlic in there. When I get home I use a baster to pull the sherry out which is now flavored with the garlic and pork drippings. I put the liquid in a small sauce pan and boil, adding a touch of flour and boil until it thickens. then serve with that as gravy.