So what's for dinner?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
a Russian Nothingburger -- burger seasoned with Penzeys' Russian seasoning "Tsardust Memories." Very tasty. Thank you, Penzeys!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Baked potatoes w/cheese, sausage and onion. Peas, broccoli, carrots, corn in chicken broth. Black cherries.

Last edited:

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
White rice made entirely in pineapple juice. Chicken marrinated in more juice, and spiced with chipotle, cayenne pepper, and a few other things and prepared in a stir fry of peppers, broccoli and pineapple chunks.

This is served on a place with leaves of lettuce layed out in a fan, usually I lay out three long leaves, and then put on the rice, and cover it in the stir fry.

Serve with wine.

Last edited:

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, Cekrit - what sort of wine works well with all that pineapple? I'm pretty sure the stuff I have on hand right now would not be on that list!

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
samphire, then Krispy Kremes :hooray:

Just out of curiosity, Cekrit - what sort of wine works well with all that pineapple? I'm pretty sure the stuff I have on hand right now would not be on that list!
Not OP but try Zinfandel or Riesling :Thumbs:

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Mostly a sweet white moscato. I cant really stand reds- too bitter.

Or pineapple wine.....as you can tell I like pineapples.

Also, they do go on pizza.

- - - Updated - - -

samphire, then Krispy Kremes :hooray:

Not OP but try Zinfandel or Riesling :Thumbs:

^^ Good choices

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Homemade pizza w/"virgin sauce". My dough keeps ending up too sticky (though it still tastes good). I'm using Alton's Brown's recipe from his "Every Day Cook" and I thought I got his measurements correct...

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Homemade pizza w/"virgin sauce". My dough keeps ending up too sticky (though it still tastes good). I'm using Alton's Brown's recipe from his "Every Day Cook" and I thought I got his measurements correct...

Even if you got his measurements correct, there's so many variables in baking that can affect the chemistry differently. Yeast doughs especially may use much more or much less flour based on things like the humidity in your kitchen. So if the dough's too sticky, you just keep adding a little more flour at a time till the dough feels right. Bread isn't the kind of baking that depends on specific precise measurements -- it's much more like cooking, you have to trust your senses & experience to tell you when you're getting it right

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We are having friends over at the cottage tonight. For an appetizer I've made a mango avocado salsa to eat with taco chips and strawberry margaritas . For the main dish, jerk chicken which I've never made before and rice and peas (also which I've never made before). And if it's no good, it goes with out saying there will be more libations .

For a side dish, my fave Asian coleslaw and they are bringing blueberry pie made with fresh picked local wild berries.

Pretty mulitcultural I must say!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
White rice made entirely in pineapple juice. Chicken marrinated in more juice, and spiced with chipotle, cayenne pepper, and a few other things and prepared in a stir fry of peppers, broccoli and pineapple chunks.

This is served on a place with leaves of lettuce layed out in a fan, usually I lay out three long leaves, and then put on the rice, and cover it in the stir fry.

Serve with wine.
When I've tried that I tend to burn the rice. Do you add extra liquid?

The answer to that question is always, whatever you like. Sure, now and then try the, "recommended pairing," but if you like something else go with something else. For her dish, which sounds very nice BTW, I'd go with a medium bodied rose or maybe even a prosecco.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to go grocery shopping so my meal combos are getting a lil random: Oven fried catfish nuggets (dipped in egg, then breaded in crushed saltines with blackening seasoning) served with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce. Fresh black cherries. Canned- potato salad, three bean salad, sauerkraut and mango-applesauce.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Roasted chicken crusted with my usual spice blend (freshly ground to avoid gluten and because it tastes better) which most would probably consider a Turkish blend, but I added something that my wife found somewhere Mehti or Methi seeds to the spice grind. It didn't add much to the usual flavor but did add a nice aroma. I also made steamed carrots with a touch of brown sugar and butter, just enough to boost the flavor without enough to call them glazed. I added a diced zucchini to the Saffron rice and also made gravy from the chicken juices.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Bean soup -- scarlet runners and some big meaty limas, with kielbasa, carrots, celery, garlic, cabbage, yellow squash, potatoes, a handful of brown rice, and a hefty dose of black pepper. Yum. I only cut myself once while chopping the vegetables.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cold boiled shrimp with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce, Caesar salad, nonfat cottage cheese.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm coming to your house. You can have my share of the cottage cheese.

MM

Thank you. I'll be adding on easy-peasy pre-cooked chicken strips on request of the non-dieters.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A light easy supper tonight. Baked (microwaved) potatoes with chopped up toppers- Butter, sour cream, 3 kinds of cheese, onion, tomatoes, left over chicken strips, cooked broccoli and whatever else I can find.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tacos de Asada at a local Mexican place. Wished they grilled their corn tortillas beforehand, but the meat was tasty.

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Leftovers from last night's dinner of venison tenderloin with a plum sauce

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Green (and red) salad from my garden. 3-4 different kinds of leaf lettuce, arugula, 2 kinds of mustard leaves (mild and spicy), two leaves of sorrel (strongly sour), spinach, mizuna, mache, mustard spinach (neither mustard nor spinach, but mild and good), one big leaf of swiss chard, s minor picking of the wild invasive but totally edible chickweed leaves, and 5-6 nasturtium flowers. With a raspberry lime vinaigrette dressing from the grocery store, and some salt and pepper.

Excellent. Better even than roadkill.

caw

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Flowers in salad is wonderful.