So what's for dinner?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Baked chile rellenos. Which the husband will be making due to the fact my eyes are dilated and handling knives would be a BAD idea right now.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tonight...oy...

My mother-in-law had a groupon for a place specializing in yakitori and rice bowls that I tried last year that didn't impress us. But she seemed dead set on going -- even though she's not really a fan of Asian cuisines in the first place.

And...it hadn't gotten better. Edamame with Lawry's Seasoned Salt, fries that were limp. And don't get me started on the salt bomb in the bulgogi rice bowl. The lack of a runny yolk didn't help matters.

Had 4 citrus sakes to deal with the sodium.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Had 4 citrus sakes to deal with the sodium.

So are you saying that citrus sake helps fight a sodium overload? I'm sodium-restricted, but if sake helps, I'd be happy to give it a try.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It helped ME at least to clear my tongue. Since the groupon came w/a glass of chilled sake for each and neither my in-laws nor my husband were fans of chilled sake, I made sure they had a home.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
And I guess that after 4 glasses of sake, nobody would give a hoot about the sodium. Sounds like a good fix for bad recipes. I'll have to try that next time I cook up a meal that turns out to be a dud.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Roast beef and garlic zoodles with a nice local ale. I foresee roast beef sandwiches in my future!

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
crock-pot rump roast, roasted diced potatoes, green beans, cookies

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I discovered lobster rolls (sandwiches) recently at a local restaurant. Was eating with my best friend, who was baffled that I had never heard of them - I ordered one assuming that a "roll" meant it would be physically rolled up, like a tortilla wrap or a burrito. :ROFL: But anyway they were delicious so I made myself a batch of the filling (but with crab instead) and it turned out well, so I think I'll be making it regularly now.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lobster rolls are one of my most favorite things! There are 2 types, you know -- the best known type are cold lobster rolls, with cold lobster salad in them (purists say only lobster + mayo, other people add all sorts of other stuff too). But the other type, which I prefer, are hot lobster rolls, which are simply warm lobster and melted butter in a grilled split-top hot dog bun (which quickly absorbs the buttery lobster goodness). Here's a great article about both of them with recipes in Serious Eats.

No lobster for me this week, but last night I made a trout fillet with a garlic/cilantro/white wine sauce, and it was so good I may try to make it again today. If not that, a rerun of Sunday night's French toast, which was also very good & uses only ingredients I already have in the house.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Soup and yogurt probably. Been on a liquid diet for four days.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Leftover leftovers :(

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
That doesn't sound a bit fun, hope you're back to solid food soon, MazeRunner.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
A local place specializing in Thai street food. I had vegan spring rolls (w/wood ears), gai yang (grilled chicken on a stick) and northeast sausage.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Lobster rolls are one of my most favorite things! There are 2 types, you know -- the best known type are cold lobster rolls, with cold lobster salad in them (purists say only lobster + mayo, other people add all sorts of other stuff too). But the other type, which I prefer, are hot lobster rolls, which are simply warm lobster and melted butter in a grilled split-top hot dog bun (which quickly absorbs the buttery lobster goodness). Here's a great article about both of them with recipes in Serious Eats.

No lobster for me this week, but last night I made a trout fillet with a garlic/cilantro/white wine sauce, and it was so good I may try to make it again today. If not that, a rerun of Sunday night's French toast, which was also very good & uses only ingredients I already have in the house.
Whoops, I didn't see this before. The sandwiches I enjoyed were basically coleslaw with seafood mixed in, so I started with that type of recipe - though it used lemon juice instead of the vinegar you would usually see in coleslaw, and had additional celery. This filling was then heated in the microwave before using it to fill the toasted and margarine-spread buns. Since then I've made it twice more, trying out minor variations - the current batch has shredded mozzarella cheese blended in. Next batch I believe I will put butter or margarine right into the mix instead of some of the mayonnaise, and I will also use parmesan cheese. I'd try diced tomatoes but my housemate won't eat it if I do that. :Shrug:

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Espetadas (grilled Portuguese beef skewers), grilled beets, grilled tomatoes, grilled green peppers and salad.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Leftovers again: Lamb meatballs, tzaziki, pickled turnip, and a salad of herbs, bulgar wheat, and parsley.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Leftover ham transmogrified into ham salad with chips and split pea soup

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Baked, herb-encrusted Salmon, steamed Broccoli and oven-roasted, Redskin Potatoes.