So what's for dinner?

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this group eats well. Trying to eat 'healthy' by cooking whole grain pasta with turkey meatballs. Not bad if you douse it with parmesan. ;)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
cubed up what was left of the ram pot roast, simmered veggies into the liquid (onions, celery, shrooms, potatoes) and sides of steamed lentils and saffron rice

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Adapted Alton Brown's Chuan'r recipe to both steak & lamb breast and DAMN, did the in-laws love it!

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
No cooking tonight, just home from our very first road trip. So it was a hard-boiled egg sandwich on a baguette with mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. Back to real meals tomorrow.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
No cooking tonight, just home from our very first road trip. So it was a hard-boiled egg sandwich on a baguette with mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. Back to real meals tomorrow.
That's a legitimate meal

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, it was more like lunch than dinner. But tonight it's whole wheat couscous with raisins, toasted walnuts, arugula, and spinach, with a lemon dressing. Much more like a real meal....

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner. Since I've shopped at the same store for eternity, the seafood guy took me aside and told me I didn't want the yellowfin today ("Big line of I-don't-know-what right down the middle; I could hardly cut it!") so I got swordfish we'll broil, along with a field greens salad with some strawberries to jazz it up and garlic roasted new potatoes. Oh, and wine. Maybe that's what I'm looking forward to. I am such a grouch. (Again?)

Maryn, who suffers so

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
House guests from Budapest. And they're cooking. It's only fair. Some Hungarian surprise.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're trying a new recipe tonight. I've been doing Weight Watchers for a long time now and I'm so weary of the healthy dinners we have in rotation. So I'm making seafood enchiladas with crab and shrimp, in a fat-free sauce. The only "bad" things in it are flour tortillas and real cheese, because all substitutes for either are just nasty. Fat free half and half and sour cream are workable.

Maryn, making herself hungry

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
What's that?? :Jump:
We had black eyed peas for dinner but maybe have a salad later tonight, so....

We named it after my SIL who got the (unimproved!) original out of a newspaper. I have improved it, if I do say so myself. :Thumbs:

1 bag of spring greens salad mix
1 log of goat cheese
bread crumbs
pecans
diced or sliced beets
raspberry balsamic vinaigrette (Or that sour cherry salad dressing from Nordstrom YUM)

Crush the pecans together with the bread crumbs.
Slice the goat cheese log into rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
Press pecan/breadcrumbs into all surfaces.
Bake in an oven until the cheese sizzles.
Serve over the salad
Add beets (totally optional--I don't like them, Wife does)
Add salad dressing.
Eat with toast.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I get fat-free half and half all the time.

What are the two halves then? I mean, the original is cream and whole milk. Pretty fatty. What's the difference between no fat cream and no fat milk? Serious question.

eta: I guess I just don't understand how cream can be fat free.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Fat free half & half has been pretty common for about 10 years (at least around here). It's basically skim milk thickened to the consistency of half-and-half with corn syrup, carrageenan, & other things (the exact formula varies by the company). I think it tastes nasty-sweet & nothing at all like real half-and-half, so I avoid the stuff, but a lot of people find it an acceptable substitute & it occupies a lot of shelf-space in my supermarkets now.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Fat free half & half has been pretty common for about 10 years (at least around here). It's basically skim milk thickened to the consistency of half-and-half with corn syrup, carrageenan, & other things (the exact formula varies by the company). I think it tastes nasty-sweet & nothing at all like real half-and-half, so I avoid the stuff, but a lot of people find it an acceptable substitute & it occupies a lot of shelf-space in my supermarkets now.

Thanks. I'll have to seek it out at the grocery store. Then avoid it like the plague. :)

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
It was the grill for us tonight -- grilled salmon, grilled asparagus, grilled red peppers, and also (not grilled) brown rice and some green beans left over from last night that needed to be used up. It was yummy.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Steak, with roasted butternut squash, carrots, and potatoes. All home-grown!

The best thing about the weather being cold enough to need a fire in the wood-stove is roasting foil-wrapped veggies in it. You cannot duplicate the taste and texture in a regular stove or microwave.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Trader Joe's saag panir with rice and extra panir.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby is always a 12hr shift on thursdays, so that's usually the night I'll order pizza for the kids and make myself pasta. When I asked them what they wanted for dinner my one son said "Meatloaf" the other wanted left over casserole.

Meat loaf(I mix brown sugar with ketchup together for a glaze and spread it over top) I think this is why my son likes it, for the sweet glaze :)
Corn on the cob
Pan fried potatoes with onions and carrots
dinner rolls