So what's for dinner?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Homemade ham salad sammich and store-bought potato salad. Made the ham salad Saturday night and I'm just cracking it open so, yeah, I think it's had enough time to chill before serving.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Mushroom squash bisque (that's what you call blended soup, right?) and seedy toast with some kind of soft herbed cheese.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
We had chicken-fried steak, roasted potatoes, green salad, and fruit salad for dessert. Tonight is either chicken and dumplings or chicken tikka masala (depends on whether i can get the ingredients for the latter).

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Last night was a really nice restaurant where I had Sole Meuniere. And I tried a wine from Macedonia called "Vranac".

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Lamb simmered all day in a vegetable medley of mostly onions and garlic and spinach. I'f my wife picks up some brussel sprouts I'll simmer those too in the stew and serve it over rice

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Smothered Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Onions + Roasted Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Just roasted some nuts for the husband's office party tomorrow. Took a container of unsalted nuts, mixed them with (low sodium) soy sauce, piri-piri, black pepper, granulated garlic & onion and sesame oil.

I am amazed at my own tasty genius sometimes... :D

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Smothered Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Onions + Roasted Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

Another fan of Brussel Sprouts I see. I leave them whole so my wife can leave them behind. More for me. As an interesting side note, I think everyone in my family who likes Brussel Sprouts also has blue eyes and O neg blood

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I have beef stock in progress in my slow cooker -- roasted a bunch of big old marrow bones earlier this morning to start the broth, so I also snuck out a few dabs of marrow for breakfast. Mmmm decadent luxury! Tonight I will caramelize a whole bunch of onions and stick the stock in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow, after I peel the fat off the stock: onion soup! A BIG pot of onion soup, so I'll have enough for the whole week.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Giada's recipe for pasta with roasted vegetables -- chop mushrooms, summer squash, red bell peppers and roast with olive oil, mix with cooked pasta, add grated cheese (parmesan and smoked mozzarella), smother the whole thing in spaghetti sauce, plop it into a buttered dish and sprinkle some parm on top, and bake till bubbly. I add a lot more sauce than the recipe calls for. But recipes never call for enough sauce.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Still haven't finished the big pot of (sort of a tikka masala) lamb stew but I decided to change up the grain. Instead of plain rice I made a pot of rice infused with saffron and turmeric. My whole life I've always thought of turmeric as just a food coloring. It never had flavor other than dusty dandelion. Pretty much the same went for saffron. I never understood the attraction. It turns out it's just like olive oil. There's a lot of counterfeit stuff out there. I got the saffron and turmeric from separate mail order places and when I opened them I was in awe. They smelled like they wanted to be together and into the saucepan they went with the rice. I was worried that the lamb would overpower the rice but they blended beautifully.

Now I'm thinking, maybe to use them in some lentil crepes to wrap taco meat with lots of sauteed celery and onions

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Just vegetable soup of spinach and cauliflower now. Maybe some cheese and fruit later. We've decided to do some easy days before the holiday season binge starts. The cupboard is full of cakes and nuts ready for Christmas and all those calories need to be balanced somehow ;)

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Leftover BBQ wings, potatoes, and okra, popsicles, and an apple. We get takeout at some non chair place that packs 10 wings and generous sides, always too much for me to eat in one sitting. This time they really overdid it with the okra. I'll probably still be eating it on Tuesday. Lol. I don't mind.