So what's for dinner?

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Bouillabaisse - I woke up Sunday in a cooking mood. Started out making seafood stock with an eye towards gumbo, but figured I'd try something new instead. I also made a rouille to serve with the bread--basically it's homemade maynnaise with garlic, paprika and cayenne. That took probably 45m with the hand mixer, but it was tasty enough that I'd do it again.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Pasta (gemelli) with cauliflower and golden raisins. The sauce is some tomato puree, tomato paste, olive oil, a little white vinegar, little bit of cinnamon along with the usual sweated chopped onion and garlic. Garnish was toasted panko and pine nuts. Reader, I nommed it.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm STUFFED.

I made falafel for the first time. Not bad once I got used to it. With whole wheat pitas and chipotle mayo.

Along with, I made lentil salad, roasted potatoes with dill and mint, homemade tzatziki sauce, and store-bought hummus. I also put out a little plate of green and black olives, tomatoes, capers, and gherkins. For dessert, oatmeal-date bars.

I have to go take a nap now. :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I made the little Lamb Loin Chops with rosemary and an Artichoke Relish (olive oil, 2 shallots, 2 cans of artichoke hearts, salt and pepper, and then a little lemon zest at the last minute).

With that, sauteed carrots with a little olive oil and butter and some sage; and white rice with parsley, capers, and a little lemon juice and zest.

Yummay!! :D

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Veggie enchiladas, and hamantaschen (sp?) that my clinic coordinator made for Purim and brought some in. Whoa. So good.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Veggie enchiladas, and hamantaschen (sp?) that my clinic coordinator made for Purim and brought some in. Whoa. So good.

I've thought about making hamantaschen. There's a recipe in one of my WW cookbooks, and they looked interesting. I have a new interest in dates, so may give them a try, although I hate making, rolling and kneading pastry.

They're supposed to be shaped like the hat Haman wore (the guy who bugged Ruth a bunch).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haman_(Bible)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Pulled Pork sandwiches...toast the bun, melt some cheddar, sprinkle a little ghost pepper...oh yeah that pineapple looks like it needs to be grilled...

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my all-time favourites. Pork roast slow-roasted with dill weed, mushroom soup, garlic, thyme, tarragon, basil and onions. Throw a few potatos in the pot, roast at 225F for about 10 hours and serve with pickled beets.

The house smells wonderful. And I'll have lots of leftovers for lunch at midnight.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
One of my all-time favourites. Pork roast slow-roasted with dill weed, mushroom soup, garlic, thyme, tarragon, basil and onions. Throw a few potatos in the pot, roast at 225F for about 10 hours and serve with pickled beets.

The house smells wonderful. And I'll have lots of leftovers for lunch at midnight.

That sounds interesting. What sort of pork (shoulder, loin,...)? And are pickled beets the sort of thing that you can buy, or is it something you have to make yourself?

For me it was vegetable curry w. basmati rice - considering that it came from a supermarket in a box it was surprisingly not bad.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight = Baked Tilapia and Steamed Broccoli

(Plus a lil Haagen-Dazs for dessert) ;)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight we had pasties (pastys?). Anyway, those things kind of like calzones. A friend of my Dad's made them and brought them by. Tasty. And I especially liked them because someone else made them. All I had to do was throw them in the oven and heat.

I may make your mac and cheese tomorrow, Stormie. A little minced onion, some diced ham, maybe a few sugar snap peas...sounding better and better.

MM

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Crab legs were on sale!!!
:snoopy::snoopy::e2bear::e2bear::e2bear:

So easy, so yummy, and the shells are great for the garden, too :) Also, cherry tomatoes and tater tots with cajun seasoning. I didn't really feel like cooking :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Oh MAN.

Tonight, I made Pork and Tomato Carnitas. SOOO yummy! Also made some homemade guacamole and added some pimento and green chilies to black beans, and also to some rice.

For dessert, Broiled Pineapple with Coconut Sorbet and Toasted Almonds.

I'm going to sleep a happy woman tonight.

{{{burp}}}

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight we had pasties (pastys?). Anyway, those things kind of like calzones. A friend of my Dad's made them and brought them by. Tasty. And I especially liked them because someone else made them. All I had to do was throw them in the oven and heat.

I may make your mac and cheese tomorrow, Stormie. A little minced onion, some diced ham, maybe a few sugar snap peas...sounding better and better.

MM
Pasties are big in Michigan--brought here by the Finns who were working the copper mines in the upper peninsula. Started out as a food in Cornwall, if I've heard it correctly.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It may sound gauche, but tonight it was a simple take-n-bake pizza from the Papa Murphy's chain, a chicken-bacon-spinach-artichoke thingie, BUT:

with added sliced onion, crimini mushrooms, small tomatoes and tomatillos.

Is really good. The tomatillos go really well on a pizza, and in a lot of other things, by the way. People need to get into tomatillos. Great in Asian-style stir-fry dishes, soups, stews, even salads. They have a light naturally salty tang, and have become one of my fave veggies. And they tend to be ridiculously cheap at the grocery.

caw

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Is really good. The tomatillos go really well on a pizza, and in a lot of other things, by the way. People need to get into tomatillos. Great in Asian-style stir-fry dishes, soups, stews, even salads. They have a light naturally salty tang, and have become one of my fave veggies. And they tend to be ridiculously cheap at the grocery.

Agree, bird. I LOVE tomatillos, and have ever since I tried them back in the 80s.

For those of you who have never visited Texas, try Chuy's, our Tex Mex go-to in Austin. Their tomatillo sauce is to die for!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crockpot Turkey Wings
Creamed Spinach
Sweet Potato Wedges

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What sort of pork (shoulder, loin,...)? And are pickled beets the sort of thing that you can buy, or is it something you have to make yourself?

Usually a small picnic shoulder as they're relatively cheap here. The beets could be home pickled, though I usually buy mine.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Salmon, purchased already portioned and seasoned from Costco.
Mac and cheese, loosely based on Stormie's recipe. I'm adding some finely minced onion sauteed in butter and some grated parmesan.

MM

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Seafood gumbo. That's been breakfast, lunch and dinner since Friday. I think the last time I made it I must have halved the recipe or something and just forgot. I don't remember there being anywhere near this much. I mean, there's literally GALLONS of the stuff. Pretty good, tho.