So what's for dinner?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Today's my last day on the job, so I'm going to treat myself to a nice roast chicken. Probably Jamie Oliver's Chicken with Milk (with lemon zest & sage) - a wonderful recipe. When I land the next gig, I may celebrate the same way. It's that good.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Braised oxtails, Basque-style. Tasty, but MAN are oxtails difficult to eat around...

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Braised oxtails, Basque-style. Tasty, but MAN are oxtails difficult to eat around...
Man I hated those things growing up. The only nice thing about them was the bones. I'd glue them together along with the frog and fish skeletons and make frightening fossils.

About the only thing worse was pig knuckles

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC, they're tasty though, right?
No, not really. At least not the way that I had them as a kid. They are chewy skin as in not chewable even with good teeth, inedible bones and a layer of flavorless fat. The only taste was provided by spice which my family didn't believe in.

What do I do with these things?

Boil'em in saurkraut!

That said, My version of a good use is pressure cook them until they fall apart, strain out the bits and use the rest as stock for whatever soup that you are in the mood for.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I generally pride my self for the size of my spice shelf and the ability to use it almost anywhere though my neighbors have signed a petition or two regarding the aroma coming out of my kitchen vent which was always ok as long as they didnt show up to taste my newest trial of a recipe I had recently picked up in Zamboni or Zambezi or Camden or someplace else famous for things but My wife heard over the fence that a new resident claims to have a bigger spice rack and will use it at the most inappropriate times with no regard to social norms and unwritten rules and even the neighborhood association bylaws which has created a building rage in the back of my mind so I am desperately seeking a list of new spices that I have not heard of even if they come from a local lab so I figured I could post here with the greatest hope of making my spice rack a little bigger than my new neighbors spice rack and perhaps once again become a favorite of all of the local housewives because

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Baked fillet of halibut, with shrimp, scallops, sliced roma tomato and sliced tomatillo on top, in some white wine, soy sauce and squeezed orange juice, all wrapped in large swiss chard leaves in a baking dish, in the oven at 420 degrees for about 30 minutes.

caw

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
French Onion Chicken (chicken legs browned in a pan, then covered in a condensed French onion soup and cooked over low heat 'till the meat is almost falling off the bone)

Homemade potato salad (a mixture of mayo, mustard, sweet relish, chopped celery, chopped onion, chopped dill, and a bit of chopped jalepeno)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Leftover turkey pieces from the freezer and leftover queso from the freezer, mixed with penne pasta, Brussels sprouts and carrots. Kind of weird I guess but hey, how can you go wrong with queso. *don't answer that* Also, salad- Romaine lettuce, roma tomatoes, carrots, green onions, garbanzo beans.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Grilled chicken thighs with a rustic guac and some spanish rice. Best part - I'm not the one cooking it!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Italian sausage with spinach, mozzarella and ricotta cheese pie.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had to buy a new refrigerator which is coming next week, so we're clearing out the freezer. I'm not sure what we'll do with some of it, but right now we're still in the realm of normal. Chicken sausage with spinach and feta cheese, roasted grape tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, pasta in a lemon-butter sauce. And red wine.

There's plenty. You all come!

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken vindaloo with rice and asparagus. God the potatoes take forever to cook, tho.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Cubed pork in Hollandaise over sticky rice with a side of beets

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Butternut squash soup, turkey-onion burgers, as we ever so slowly empty the freezer. (That squash had been in there a while, too.)

Alas, no wine tonight. If I had wine as often as I'd like, I'd be a drunk. Maybe when I turn 85, when I plan to take up smoking again.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a lovely diet plate at our neighborhood Chinese joint. Steamed shrimp, vegetables, and rice with sauce, and a salad. Then came home and ate pizza, too. That was my son's fault for bring pizza home though. Yes.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Leftover Lasagna. We make it with hot sausage instead of meatballs. Skinned and crumbled.

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
Tonight I made Vegan meatballs (from a package) with some pasta and marinara sauce.

I've figured out that unless I plan on eating a whole lot of veggies (which I have limited desire for) I won't ever be full Vegan. I cannot have spicy food too often and everything I have encountered at least of the packaged/frozen variety seems to use spice to make their stuff have taste.

Of course I could make everything from scratch. But who wants to do that every day?

Also I love chicken too much to quit it.