So what's for dinner?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
A friend had a Groupon, so we went out for Indian.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Caprese salad: some pretty good tomatoes, basil that I just clipped myself, a decent fresh mozzarella, olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt, pepper. By a wide margin the best thing I've eaten in months.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm making chicken with taco seasoning and salsa tonight. I might do spanish rice to go with it. I'll decide when I'm cooking.

It was supposed to be spaghetti and meatballs, but the meat didn't defrost overnight...so plan B :)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
That sounds good stormie. I love italian food. My husband, not so much.

I'm thinking tacos. Easy and the kiddos like dipping broken shells into the sour cream and eating that instead of the actual meal.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Simplest kind of green salad, all fresh from the garden, eaten about ten minutes after being picked: 2 varieties of leaf lettuce, spinach, arugula, mustard greens, mizuna greens, mustard spinach greens (neither mustard, nor spinach), radish greens, chervil, and leaves of the "weed" conventionally called lamb's quarters, a spinach relative that grows damn near everywhere in the U.S., and is both nutritious and tasty. I ate mine with a little salt. My son slathered his with raspberry vinagrette dressing.

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
We're having my super-simple, super-tasty baked ziti.

In the morning I mix a pound of dry ziti, 15 oz ricotta, 8 oz shredded mozz, 26 oz high-end marinara, a 14 oz can diced tomatoes, and a box of thawed chopped spinach. Spread it evenly in a 9x13 glass baking pan, sprinkle heartily with grated romano (or parm), and cover with foil. Leave it in the fridge all day.

90 minutes before I want dinner, I put it in a cold oven (so I don't break the chilled pan) and set oven to 350. I bake for 80 minutes and let it sit ten (covered) before serving. Wow! Great with broccoli rabe sauteed in olive oil and garlic.

Now I'm hungry for dinner, and it's only 4pm. Glad I've got a ziti prepped in the fridge!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tuuuurrrkey! With stuffing, gravy and mashed potato.

Had a 22 pounder in the freezer and it seems to fit a cold, wet week. I went out this morning and bought 10 lbs of potatoes so I can make TV dinners out of the leftovers.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing. I've got a broken tooth so it's a liquid diet for me. Cider for the vitamins... and white rum because it's a trip to the dentist in the morning.

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
Cauliflower steaks with the following roasted fresh vegetables - broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, corn and peppers.

I'm not a vegetarian. But I've noticed as I get older, my body has less tolerance for meat, unless it's used as a condiment in a dish, rather than a course of the meal.

Right now it's craving fresh fruits, veggies, legumes and whole grains. Go figure!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Nothing. I've got a broken tooth so it's a liquid diet for me. Cider for the vitamins... and white rum because it's a trip to the dentist in the morning.
Sounds good to me--the white rum, that is. :D

Good luck at the dentist!

Tonight we're having spare ribs w/ a 1/2 cup molasses and 1/2 cup mustard mixed together and poured on during the last hour of cooking.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pork chops and scalloped potatoes. HUGE pork chops.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
For Independence Day weekend, it's baby back ribs rubbed with Chinese five-spice and slow-cooked with a glaze of applesauce and Manischevitz wine. Side dishes are plain buttered gemelle (twisted pasta) and assorted steamed veggies with butter.

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
Curried Mango Chicken! I saw absolutely perfect mangos at the store and couldn't resist.

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup chopped peeled mango
1 can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I use 1 Tbsp of Tandoori paste instead and omit the cayenne pepper.)
Hot cooked rice

In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in oil for 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the chicken, curry, ginger, garlic, salt and cayenne. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the mango, coconut milk and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with rice if desired.

Jodie

writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
Ham steaks, new potatoes, and corn on the cob.

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
Ham steaks, new potatoes, and corn on the cob.

I love it. Simple comfort food. As a matter of fact, that's going to be my dinner tomorrow night because it sounds so good! Do you do anything special to your ham steak?

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Wholesome healthy whole wheat elbow macaroni . . . well, baked with a pound of shredded Mexican blend cheese, a can of evaporated milk, a cup of the pasta cooking water and a cooked and crumbled pound of pork sausage.

The whole wheat compensates for all the bad stuff . . . I hope.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Wholesome healthy whole wheat elbow macaroni . . . well, baked with a pound of shredded Mexican blend cheese, a can of evaporated milk, a cup of the pasta cooking water and a cooked and crumbled pound of pork sausage.

The whole wheat compensates for all the bad stuff . . . I hope.
Not likely, but who gives a rip? :roll:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Twizzlers.
Yum! There are nights when that'll do.

Today hubby is doing the grilling and cooking--porterhouse steaks rubbed w/ cracked black pepper and a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil, corn on the cob, cole slaw. But it's humid and hot out, so we'll be eating inside.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crockpot Chicken & Mushrooms
Fresh Kale
White Corn-on-the-Cob

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Leftover Italian cube steak with peppers. Or something like that. I don't really know what it is, my mom made it last night and said it wasn't bad. Not a big fan of cube steak, personally, but it's the first leftovers I've gotten all week to bring to work.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Chiles en nogada.

I had this once at a Mexican restaurant in LA and it was freaking amazing. And I've got a friend from the south visiting to help me along with it. I can't wait for dinner.