So what's for dinner?

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just recently discovered that Brussels sprouts are not just stunted cabbages that probably taste gross. They’re delicious! And it must be a good year for the previously-considered ugly thugs, because they’re aplenty and perfect in the produce section. (Slow-ish) Roasted, with a final last five-minutes sprinkle of Balsamic vinegar is good for me… so good. I don’t care about those other dishes—screw the salmon and rosemary roasted potatoes—just pass me the damn platter of Brussels sprouts!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Today was coq au vin day. There was some vin that wasn't suitable for drinking but was just right for cooking. No mushrooms but the weather is still not good enough to venture outside to buy more supplies.
Oh, I haven't had that in years. It's so good. Enjoy.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Fried chicken, biscuits, gravy, chard sauteed in bacon fat. Lemon squares for dessert.

(We had new-to-the-US Russian friends over for southern food)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Homemade?

Oh, yes. Made with plenty of onion & garlic, a bunch of chicken backs & thighs. Rich, tasty broth! I'll probably freeze a bunch of it -- this time of year, it's nice to have a few doses ready to go in case of sniffles.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken Wonderfulness again. I originally made this up as a hand held meat pie filling but now we just eat it as stew.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Brussel Sprouts are also really good in soups and stews. The mistake that most people make is to overcook them. I wait until the soup and or stew is basically done and then add the Brussel Sprouts for the last 20 minutes before removing from heat

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I recently discovered I like brussel sprouts too, we should have a mini cabbage party. :D

I made BudgetBytes Slow Cooker Italian Chicken and Peppers for dinner. Came out pretty good, the sauce was a little thin but I wasn't actually using marinara, had some spaghetti sauce I wanted to use up. Topped with cheese, because everything is better that way.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Went to a local "hidden gem" for Italian food. Had lobster bisque, veal ribs stuffed with meatball served w/green beans and angel hair pasta with garlic & oil.

This place will no longer be able to hide from us.... ;)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We had guests over, friends of my son, who is also living with us at this time, so I cooked for five:

Sockeye salmon filets, marinated for a couple of hours in a little bit of soy sauce, squeezed orange juice and some ground pepper/garlic. These wrapped in swiss chard leaves, and baked in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Two peeled and cubed orange yams and one peeled and cubed apple, steamed for the same time, until soft, then mashed with a small amount of butter and some cinnamon.

Chopped asparagus and chopped stems from the swiss chard, sautéed for about seven minutes on high heat with a small amount of olive oil and soy sauce, and some ground pepper. A pretty dish of green and dark red.

caw

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
veal ribs stuffed with meatball
wow, wow, wow, this sounds interesting ... I googled it but the results varied. Got some ideas for the weekend though! Wheeeeee...:TheWave:
Pizza night!
Ooo, there was a pizza night at the local pub but I forgot about it. Boo. Too cold to think. What day is it? What year is it? ;)

While shopping today I found some new Italian flatbreads, so that got stuffed with sauteed colourful peppers and chicken livers. Followed by salted caramel brownie ice-cream. Best evah ice-cream, (there were freshly baked cinnamon rolls in the kitchen and nobody wanted them, can you imagine?)

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
grilled cod, roasted red peppers, and whole wheat couscous.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
lamb shanks with white beans and tomato. A lot of beans, small shanks, so this will become tomato beans with a little lamb for lunches all week.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Take 'n' bake pizza, from a local pizzeria which has a fabulous reputation. I've eaten pizzas made on site in this place, but never a home-bake one. It looks fabulous. I got a basic one with pepperoni, Italian sausage, onion, green pepper and mozzarella, and added to it some roma tomato, mushrooms and shredded cheddar/mozzarella mixed cheese. Is currently baking.

caw

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
BLTs on sourdough with avocado ... *drowns in anticipatory drool*

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
grilled tarragon-lime chicken, brown rice, asparagus

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BLTs on sourdough with avocado ... *drowns in anticipatory drool*

Try some warm brie and thinly sliced red onion on there too. Many yums.

Two avocado halves, stuffed with lobster salad.

This makes me jealous.

We had pan seared chicken breasts with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.

MM

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Homemade pizza -- and this time I think I finally got the hang of homemade tomato sauce too! :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Red salmon fillet, marinated in soy sauce and fresh squeezed orange juice with some commercial seafood seasoning, then wrapped in dried nori (seaweed) sheets and baked in a corningware dish at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. And a package brown and wild rice pilaf with added chopped red bell pepper, scallion and crimini mushrooms.

caw