So what's for dinner?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Local Thai restaurant: Tom Kar soup, Thai Todmun (fishcakes) and baked DURIAN! (which actually wasn't bad)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Durian is supposed to be delicious, even though it smells vile -- people put up with the stink because they love the fruit so much! I've never seen it in a restaurant, though. You clearly have access to much better ones than I do.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Its taste reminded me of caramelized sweet onions. It was baked with coconut milk and sweet sticky rice. I liked it a lot, actually.

The proprietor of the restaurant was grinning when he saw me offering a taste to my husband and in-laws and how tentative my husband was about it. My father-in-law dug right in. My mother-in-law refused.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Pork ribs slow roasted with a spice rub and coated with a roasted red pepper/eggplant salsa

chunky mashed potatoes

baked butternut squash

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Used the congealed liquids from the above ribs in place of water to make rice and had baked chicken to go with it. Very tasty.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Working on learning how to be mostly vegetarian and fat-free. So tonight dinner was mushrooms and diced red bell pepper braised in some chicken broth with italian seasoning, pepper, garlic, and a little tomato paste, served over brown rice and accompanied by diced leftover sweet potatoes tossed in nonfat peach yogurt.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds very healthy MAS. But you don't want to go totally fat free, some healthy fat every day (ie plant based oils like olive oil) is very necessary for your body to function properly.

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
Chicken with last summer's basil/walnut pesto (frozen in an ice cube tray) with spinach noodles.

I may steal that for dinner tonight. Have to make a grocery run and wasn't sure what to make. :D

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
it's another BLUE APRON weekend.
tonite: general tso's chicken
tomorrow: beef bolognese

check out my instagram @ motowncountry for picks of this and my past Blue Apron meals.....

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Mom tried a new kind of chicken chili tonight. We agreed we prefer the other one she makes, but I think this one would be quite tasty if there were more beans and some different veggies in it.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
We celebrated our anniversary tonight at a place that specializes in shabu-shabu. Which I did not actually have as they were out of my protein of choice (A5 Satsuma Wagyu Rib Cap from Kagoshima -- it was our anniversary!).

We started the meal with wheat crepes with pork fat buttercream, ginger, sesame & red miso. Oooooh...decadent!

Husband did shabu-shabu w/Ohio Wagyu style round in a ginger chicken broth. Me? I had Rafute. MOAR DECADENCEDANCE~!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Snow crab legs with lemon wedges and some other, unimportant, stuff. :p

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Pizza. We were in a hurry.

But last night I made a chicken stir-fry with veggies from the garden: bell pepper, swiss chard stems, part of a Lebanese summer squash, two small kohlrabis, some broccoli stems, peeled and sliced, snow peas and snap peas, and one nice large Boletus edulis wild mushroom I found.* Over brown rice. Was delishus.

caw

*The King bolete, one of the finest wild mushrooms you can find for the table, and grows almost everywhere. If you do any mushroom hunting, learn this one; it's not difficult to recognize, and is totally wonderful.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Had to throw out everything in the fridge and freezer due to an extended power outage, so thought I'd use up some stuff in the pantry: Canned ham, canned green beans and canned black-eyed peas, mixed together. It tastes pretty good, really.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Having a party tonight, so I'm going to spend all day cooking... my menu is:

Grilled chicken thighs
Grilled zucchini
Chicken enchiladas in chili gravy
Black bean, cheese, and chili enchiladas in roasted poblano sauce
Esquites (Mexican street corn salad...always a hit)
and blackberry margaritas made from the blackberry bushes in our backyard.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds heavenly, Auzerais. What time should I be there? :p