CNN: Palin inks book deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
So that whole fuss about letting the FBI check what books you have purchased from the bookstore might soon be a good thing? (seriously! just kidding!)

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
It'll sell, but I won't be buying it.
And if it sells, then that's more money for the publishing industry and maybe they will finally point in my direction and say, "Hey, what about her book?" and publish me. Ah. Yes. The American dream!

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps Lady Sybilla can be her co-author. It couldn't hurt LS's reputation and might give Sara P's story just the right touch of satire it might need to become a 'hip' parody.

I would read this.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My point before I got distracted (by me) is that publishers and agents talk about how the writing is the important thing and then they give a moron 7 million dollars to write a book that she won't actually be writing.

Money changes everything including standards.

ETA: Moron is a strong word. Dullard is more fitting.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't see the beauty thing either.

MILF or cougar? That's an oedipus complex in my opinion.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
You know what this means?

ponies.jpg

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
My point before I got distracted (by me) is that publishers and agents talk about how the writing is the important thing and then they give a moron 7 million dollars to write a book that she won't actually be writing.

Money changes everything including standards.

ETA: Moron is a strong word. Dullard is more fitting.
I don't see what this has to do with the OP at all. It's been said time and time again - story trumps all.

Story is King. Just check out the bestseller lists.

And you have to write it in a way that readers will understand and enjoy. That's the only rule.

Sarah Palin has a story that will sell. And if she can't write it, they'll find someone to write it for her. That's how valuable her story is.

That's life. You want the same deal? Live a life or come up with a story that millions of people are guaranteed to pay money to read.

If you present such a story to an agent or publisher, they'll gobble you up and make you their new best friend. That's the way it's always been. Throughout history.

You think Shakespeare got where he did cuz he knew grammar?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Personally I think you're all wrong. I predict that they'll not make back the advance money. I could be wrong but money is tight. I don't see people wasting money buying a book by her.

What don't we know about her? She was the mayor of nowhereville Alaska who blew McCain's chance at being president. Anything she has to say is worthless because she's stupid and anything worth knowing about her has already been revealed as she was running for vice president.

Anyone who wastes their money on her book doesn't deserve to have any. IMO.

As far as my story, I think it will sell. I have lived a life that people will pay money to read. I'll show and not tell with that though.

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you as far as her story goes.

But who knows what the future holds? She's poised to be on the national stage for a while to come. And she's very prominent in the media. That's gold as far as publishers are concerned.

It's the same reason so many sequels are made. She has a built-in audience. Anyone with a built-in audience is almost guaranteed a publishing contract.

Basically, she's already proven she can sell newspapers etc.. So publishers think "Why shouldn't they get some of that?"

It's all about attention. If you can attract it on a national level - publishers will consider a deal.

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I think you're all wrong. I predict that they'll not make back the advance money. I could be wrong but money is tight. I don't see people wasting money buying a book by her.

What don't we know about her? She was the mayor of nowhereville Alaska who blew McCain's chance at being president. Anything she has to say is worthless because she's stupid and anything worth knowing about her has already been revealed as she was running for vice president.
Whoah, Wayne. You have to remember that's your opinion. There are tons of people out there who feel differently.

Just cuz you don't like romances or mysteries or self-help or diet books doesn't mean they won't sell.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't disagree. I did say it was an opinion.

If they won and she was the vice president I'd say without a doubt she was onto a best seller.

People are less interested in the losing side.

I don't know how many books you have to sell to make back 7-11 million dollars but I don't think people will buy her book. I love memoirs, even memoirs by people I don't like--but in all the time she's been on the national stage I'm still wondering what she will have to say that would make me reach into my pocket for the cash.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I predict the same thing with Brittany Spears book.

What don't we know about her?

When people were putting books on their credit cards maybe. But when times are tough it's a lot harder to get them to lay out 30 or 40 bucks for a book by someone who is only a celebrity and not much more.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I predicted this with Mickey Sherman's book "How can you defend those people?"

I like the guy except for the fact that he turned me in to the feds for something that I'm still trying to resolve, but I kept my tongue and told my wife "People don't buy books after you lose the biggest case of your career"

He is a very interesting guy and he's smart as a whip--plus he's a celebrity on court TV, and his book is actually pretty good.

People like winners though.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

You've got to be kidding. Someone in the spotlight like Sarah Palin, with tens of millions of people who love her (even outside her 83% approval rating state), will make many, many millions off of her book. Not to mention the fact that its getting plenty of free publicity. It will debut high on the New York Times Best Sellers List as well. It's absurd to think otherwise.

Also, calling her "stupid" is just plain unnecessary.

Last edited:

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
If they get it out fast enough and she doesn't shoot herself in the foot in the meantime, a book "by" her is likely to do well. She has a strong conservative fan base, and if even a third of them buy her book it'll be a strong bestseller. And earn out her advance.

On the other hand, the public is a fickle thing, so who knows? Unless they crash the book (get it on the shelves with inhuman speed), her public may lose interest -- at least to the point of forking out $25 or so for a book when newspapers, blogs, and TV are filled with news about the woman.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, more power to her--it's not that important to me.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, more power to her--it's not that important to me.

Still, it would be nice if she would be, like, GOVERNOR of my state and all, you know, like DO THE JOB SHE WAS ELECTED TO DO . . . you know? Instead of, like, injecting her two cents' worth into the California beauty queen fiasco, and "writing" a book, and etc. etc. etc. An increasing number of people in her own party are beginning to get pissed about this kind of stuff, and her own Republican legislators showed it a couple of weeks ago by turning down several of her appointees, including an absolutely unsuitable Attorney General nominee. When that happened, she was, by the way, out of town, addressing a national Right to Life rally in Indiana or some similar locale. The legislature also had to deal with the minor issue of the state budget, and a looming huge deficit, that same week. But as long as she can keep her smiling visage in the news, it all seems okay to her.

caw

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I love politicians who are always off doing other things as the castle crumbles.

Not directed at just her.

If you knew the actual amount of hours some of these bums put in--it's robbery.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, locking the thread because this no longer has anything to do with writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.