Opening of Historical Fiction

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Phaedo. Well they liked it, now I've just got to polish up. I'm happier with it too, but it does create more work as I have to delete or add info here and there throughout the story, but I'm okay with it. It's funny, because I pasted and copied what the agents wrote back and read it to them first. Then I said, "Folks, I need you to be editors, not friends." (So they put their corkscrews down).

People in my crit group are familiar with the story-maybe too familiar. A bookstore nearby has an open mike night for people to read short excerpts from chapters, poems etc. After you read a set word count-if the audience likes what they hear (done by applause) you get to read on, no applause you leave. I've seen it as a non-participant-brutal but fair to talent. Has anyone gone to this extreme to test a first page?

Phaedo

a non sequitur
Registered
Reaction score
After you read a set word count-if the audience likes what they hear (done by applause) you get to read on, no applause you leave. I've seen it as a non-participant-brutal but fair to talent. Has anyone gone to this extreme to test a first page?

The first time I hear it. Interesting. I've only seen it done with aspiring stand-up comedians. They get three judges with trumpets, and like sheer seconds to impress. Three honks and you are gone. They actually pick you up and throw you out behind the stage. Those are the rules.

But I am thinking now, what if the audience doesn't like your voice? the way you look? the way you read? Just the tone can ruin everything. I gave up listening to audiobooks that way. Even if narrated by the best actors, they sound flat.
Reading a book yourself has so much more dimentions to it. AND every time you re-read that book, you get even more new angles and accentuations. I don't know, I don't want anyone to "read" his own perspective to me.