The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Cordelia Press

figuring it all out

Cordelia Press

I think they are brand new and I don't know anything about them. Anyone know anything?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    This one? http://www.cordeliapress.com/Home.html It's an epub.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out
    That's the one. Thanks. I am virtually certain the first time I checked this site it didn't mention it was exclusivey an epublisher.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Thomas Scot's Avatar

Cordelia Press

Has anyone heard of Cordelia Press? They are - apparently - a small press e-publisher of science fiction and fantasy, etc, but I haven't been able to find any titles they've published (you'd think they would be on the website - maybe I missed them somehow?) and am wondering if they are legitimate. TS

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Doctri, go to the sticky thread called This is nothing like an official FAQ. Read the first entry.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Cordelia Press

Oh, yes, definitely new (ish - at least). I think I pulled them off of Specfic (?) or Writer's Market (?) a month or so ago and they were listed as a new book publisher.

The reason I ask is that I sent them an 3 page synopsis for a fantasy novel I wrote (as they requested in their submissions guidelines) Well, the (submissions?) editor responded promptly within a month asking me for a chapter by chapter synopsis a week ago and asked if I could have it to her by 6/15.

It struck me a little odd that she wasn't sure after the synopsis I initially sent whether she wanted to see sample chapters. I'm not new to submitting my stuff to the pros, semipros, etc. This is the first time in fifteen years an editor has asked for a second synopsis.

DAW, Baen, Edge, Wildside all saw the same synopsis and based on that wanted to see the manuscript. In the end, DAW was over booked with fantasy by the time they read it and I missed the mark market-wise with Baen and Edge, although they both asked me to try them again. Nice to be invited back.

So, do I chalk up the request for a chapter blow-by-blow to novice editors? And ... do I really want to drop one of my better manuscripts on a newbie e-publisher?

If it was DAW or Baen or some other 'name' asking me for a chapter-by-chapter, I'd already done writing it and busy proof reading and revising ... but a mystery publisher. Hmph. I'm thinking I will have to pass on this one.

I just wish I knew what credentials Cordelia Press's staff has.

Thanks, everybody, for your input. Helped my thought process.
    Last edited by Thomas Scot; 06-07-2009 at 04:50 AM.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    You went from Daw to a new ebook-only publisher with no sales record? I think you may have skipped a few rungs on that ladder?
    Emily Veinglory

Cordelia Press

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    You went from Daw to a new ebook-only publisher with no sales record? I think you may have skipped a few rungs on that ladder?
    It was a weak moment. Low blood sugar. Lost weekend ... I don't know.

I'm been out for the submitting game for a while. This fantasy manuscript circulated for three years, nothing happened, so I put it aside to work on other projects. Then realised a couple months ago that the only thing I still have out there is an SF novel that's been sitting at DAW for two years waiting for a second read. God bless Peter Stampfel. 'Started hooking into resources for submissions and saw I'd already gone to all the guys who still accept unsolicited ms. for this particular fantasy ms, then saw Cordelia Press and leaped ... without looking.

I know better. Sigh.
    Last edited by Thomas Scot; 06-07-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Why not submit to agents?

Quote Originally Posted by herdon View Post
    Why not submit to agents?
    You know, I am finally asking myself that question ... Was looking at old agent response letters I still have from the 90s and went 'oh my god'. I saw two opportunities for resubs that I totally blew off and with good agencies.

Marcia Amsterdam isn't around any more, is she? Sheesh, I got some catching up to do.

Gonna do it. Gonna try the agent route with this MS.

Thanks.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Last editor's blog post was in June and nothing's been published. Anyone hear any sign of life?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Nothing new as of 4/30/2010. Amazon has no Kindle pubs from them. Unfortunate choice of name - close to Cornelia press.
    'writing is easy - just sit down at the laptop and wait for the blood to spring out of your forehead'
    ohjammer, northern New Mexico

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces KyraDune's Avatar

Cordelia Press

I was thinking of submitting my novella to Cordelia Press but I can't find any books published by them and Google is giving me no help. Does anybody know anything about them?

Self-Banned
    There is a little bit of information here. (The mods should be along soon to merge these two threads.)
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 08-16-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: done, thanks :)