Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Response Time: The New Yorker

practical experience, FTW

Response Time: The New Yorker

Has anyone submitted fiction to The New Yorker? If so, what was your response time? I just submitted a short story (Aim high, right?) and I'm wondering, realistically, how long I should wait.

Thanks.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PlanetCaravan's Avatar
    Funny, I was researching this yesterday. Got a little discouraged when I learned it can take a year to hear back from them.

Here's the thread I found:
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ghlight=yorker

In Time-Out For My Sins
    ... been 8 weeks and counting since I sub'd to them.
    According to Duotrope response time is 69 days on average, for rejections.
    No stats for acceptances, sigh. G'Luck :-)

http://www.duotrope.com/market_129.aspx

Ugh. Guess I might as well keep on querying elsewhere. Thanks you two!

Doing the Space Operatic AW Moderator Izz's Avatar
    You've got to be prepared to wait a while for most of the pro markets. At the moment (according to Duotrope) the pending responses are averaging 117-odd days.

Does New Yorker accept sim subs? If not, you'll need to withdraw your sub from them before sending it elsewhere.

Disgruntled Scientist dgiharris's Avatar
    A wierd rule of thumb I follow is that the bigger the publisher + the bigger the payrate = Longer wait.

Looking at my stats for Pro Rates (i.e. 15 cents per word or better)

I average about 120 days for rejection and about 1/3 no response.

My acceptances (5) have been within 60 days or less for whatever that is worth.

The New Yorker is a very tough nut to crack.

The best way to approach the big boys is to fire and forget. Polish a story as best you can, send off, work on the next piece. Eventually, you will get to the point where you have a bunch of stuff in the pipeline and you will be getting a weekly rejection and bi-weekly acceptance

I track everything via a spreadsheet. If you like, give me your email address and I'll mail you a template you can use.

p.s. I should also mention that the bigger the publisher, the more important it is to familiarize yourself with the types of stories they published. Its a big mistake to think that just becuase you have a good story that they will publish it.

Mel...
    Last edited by dgiharris; 05-03-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks Mel and thanks for all the great advice everyone. It's been at least a decade since I've worked on short stories, but I sent one out in November and it got accepted in Aethlon, a literary sports journal for the spring of 2010. That got my short-fiction blood boiling again. Mel, my email is happywritermom@yahoo.com. I would greatly appreciate your template.