The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Apex Book Company / Apex Magazine

  1. #1
    figuring it all out Dev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    78

    Apex Book Company / Apex Magazine

    I've been looking for a home for my first novel, and was unsure about one of the small presses. I emailed to ask them some questions, and they posted the answers on their blog. Here's the info, FWIW, but I'm sure you writer-types can probably spot twenty more questions I didn't ask.

    http://www.apexbookcompany.com/blog/...ns-apex-books/

    I'm still not sure if I should submit, or if I should continue to wait for a better deal...it's a horror novel, so it's a tough sell.

    --Dev

  2. #2
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    Ingram and B&T are wholesale, not distributors. They don't sell books to bookstores and libraries, they just fulfill orders coming in. So I'd be curious as to how exactly they get into independant stores. Also, I'm curious about how well they do with their no returns, given that I've heard a lot of bookstores tend not to deal with books that are not returnable. More questions are warranted I think.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

  3. #3
    but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Aotearoa
    Posts
    5,186
    They're a small press, but quite respectable, and I've heard only positive feedback about them. The fact that Jen Pelland, whose story was on the Nebula shortlist, chose them to publish her collection also makes me think well of them.

  4. #4
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,527
    Apex is tiny, but legit.

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  5. #5
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    380
    Since when was horror a tough sell?

  6. #6
    figuring it all out Dev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    78
    Thanks, everyone. Samurai especially.

    Anyway, it's my first novel, and it hasn't sold yet. I've been sending out queries and partials (and one full!) for about six months, and I'm I'm 60k words into my second one, and I've got some ideas growing for a third, but I was hoping finding a professional publisher for the first one would be easier...silly me.

    Any advice, Samurai?

    --Dev

  7. #7
    Storm in the form of a girl JenPelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Outside Boston
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    They're a small press, but quite respectable, and I've heard only positive feedback about them. The fact that Jen Pelland, whose story was on the Nebula shortlist, chose them to publish her collection also makes me think well of them.
    Actually, to be honest, they chose me. I hadn't been planning on a collection, but they contacted me and told me they'd like to put one out, and my ego wouldn't let me say no

    Seriously, though, they're a good outfit to work with. If you have any questions about what it's like to work with them, please email me.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Jason Sizemore is one of the good guys. I got to know him when we advertised a few books in his Apex Magazine back in the day. He's been doing this a while and knows the industry. I knew him as one who never made promises he couldn't keep.

  9. #9
    Editor, Writer, Hillbilly
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    9
    So I forgot my old AC id, so it looks like I'm new, but that's quite not the case. Guess I'm new again.

    Anyhow, thanks for all the statements of support and approval. It's nice to know somebody thinks we're doing something right.

    Look at Jen Pelland playing coy. She likes to tell people I approached her on my knees, tears in eyes, begging to publish her collection. I won't say if what she says is true or not. I'll just say publishing Jen's book has been one great decision on my part.

    As to M.R.J.'s question...right, thank you for pointing out that Ingram and B&T are wholesalers. I modified the incorrect statement in my blog post.

    How do we get into independent bookstores? 80% of it is me and one of my editor minions reach out to the stores via a call or email. 20% of it is the stores contacting us about carrying our books.

    How do we get into libraries? They order our books mostly through Brodart. We've had a number of our titles reviewed in the trade journals (specifically Publisher's Weekly and Booklist) so I would surmise that generates many of those sales.

    I'm happy to answer any further questions anyone might have about Apex Books.

    Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    Ingram and B&T are wholesale, not distributors. They don't sell books to bookstores and libraries, they just fulfill orders coming in. So I'd be curious as to how exactly they get into independant stores. Also, I'm curious about how well they do with their no returns, given that I've heard a lot of bookstores tend not to deal with books that are not returnable. More questions are warranted I think.
    2012 Hugo Award nominee
    Apex Magazine
    http://www.apex-magazine.com

    Apex Publications
    Books beyond expectations...
    http://www.apexbookcompany.com


    My personal website:
    www.jason-sizemore.com

  10. #10
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    That's all I wanted to know. Thanks for answering Jason
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

  11. #11
    I'd be curious to hear an expanded discussion on your no-returns policy.

  12. #12
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,497
    Looks like Apex is heading in the right direction. Very nice to see. Somehow I missed them in my sub list. They're in there now.

    Tri

  13. #13
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,527
    Quote Originally Posted by apexjason View Post
    How do we get into independent bookstores? 80% of it is me and one of my editor minions reach out to the stores via a call or email. 20% of it is the stores contacting us about carrying our books.

    How do we get into libraries? They order our books mostly through Brodart. We've had a number of our titles reviewed in the trade journals (specifically Publisher's Weekly and Booklist) so I would surmise that generates many of those sales..
    Just wanted to point out that Apex has been at just about ever SF related convention I've gone to in the last two years, with a booth, selling books to fans and to book sellers, who also go to the cons.

    Given the nature of SF/Horror/Fantasy readership, this is important.

    An awful lot of books are sold to individuals and libraries by niche booksellers for for the SF/Spec fic and Mystery genres. Apex is very visible. And you will find their books at your local store, and your libraries.
    Last edited by Medievalist; 05-01-2009 at 11:48 PM.

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  14. #14
    Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,605
    They run a good mag too

  15. #15
    Self-Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    They run a good mag too
    Agreed. (And not just because they published one of my stories!)

    Sadly, they've recently announced the magazine is is going on hiatus.
    Last edited by eqb; 05-02-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: corrected wording

  16. #16
    Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,605
    Quote Originally Posted by eqb View Post
    Agreed. (And not just because they published one of my stories!)

    Sadly, they've recently announced the magazine is is going on hiatus.
    Happens to a lot of good mags

  17. #17
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,023
    Just an FYI that Apex is up and going again.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  18. #18
    No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe. badducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,891
    Just a note to add that my eBook is with Apex, and they do this nifty thing with a shared google doc, wherein I can track my sales in real time.

    I've never heard of any company doing that before, and I wish more did. It increases transparency dramatically.

    My experience has been very good, so far, with the eBook of LAST DRAGON.

    And, my story in Apex Online was paid for promptly and according to the terms of the contract.

    Two thumbs up from me.

  19. #19
    has a hedgehog annetookeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yo mama
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by badducky View Post
    Just a note to add that my eBook is with Apex, and they do this nifty thing with a shared google doc, wherein I can track my sales in real time.

    I've never heard of any company doing that before, and I wish more did. It increases transparency dramatically.

    Two thumbs up from me.
    That's so cooooool!


    "The Light Bringer's Kingdom", my science fiction fantasy novel, now available in Amazon
    My Blog: www.the-sword-that-speaks.blogspot.com

  20. #20
    Editor, Writer, Hillbilly
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    9

    Distribution

    I wanted to add that we've now signed on with a small distributor and, as such, now have a more traditional publishing model.

    Actually, it's sort of an cross-breed of POD and traditional, as some of our titles (the more...eclectic and specialized stuff) will go through POD-only. But major releases, such as DARK FAITH, Dru Pagliassotti's AN AGREEMENT WITH HELL, and Gary Braunbeck's novel we'll be releasing through Pathway and printed via offset.

    Thanks for the nice words. This is a tough business and sometimes...you need to see that type of stuff.

    Jason
    2012 Hugo Award nominee
    Apex Magazine
    http://www.apex-magazine.com

    Apex Publications
    Books beyond expectations...
    http://www.apexbookcompany.com


    My personal website:
    www.jason-sizemore.com

  21. #21
    Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces KyraDune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    928
    I see on their site that Apex is currently closed to submissions. Does anybody know what's going on there, or when they might be opening up again?
    Fantasy Fiction Author

    http://kyradune.weebly.com/

  22. #22
    Editor, Writer, Hillbilly
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KyraDune View Post
    I see on their site that Apex is currently closed to submissions. Does anybody know what's going on there, or when they might be opening up again?
    Hi Kyra,

    The magazine remains open. The book side of the business is closed to submissions (and have been for awhile). We've been clearing the slate of inventory bought during our last open session for awhile. Maybe this year sometime we'll reopen? Hope so.
    2012 Hugo Award nominee
    Apex Magazine
    http://www.apex-magazine.com

    Apex Publications
    Books beyond expectations...
    http://www.apexbookcompany.com


    My personal website:
    www.jason-sizemore.com

  23. #23
    Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces KyraDune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by apexjason View Post
    Hi Kyra,

    The magazine remains open. The book side of the business is closed to submissions (and have been for awhile). We've been clearing the slate of inventory bought during our last open session for awhile. Maybe this year sometime we'll reopen? Hope so.

    Ok, thanks.
    Fantasy Fiction Author

    http://kyradune.weebly.com/

  24. #24
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12
    Anything new about Apex Book. They seem to be struggling in this dog-eat-dog business.

    I like their stuff so I hope their making it

    Natt

  25. #25
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,497
    Well I hope they open up for book subs again soon.

    Tri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search