"You never told me that...and I'm your damn creator!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This thread inspired by, yes, a conversation with thethinker42.

Without going into too much detail, the robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers (tt42 to you and me) told me she didn't know her two MCs' jobs until she came to write the scene where they discussed what they both did for a living.

Now to other folks that might seem a bit weird - and we are talking about tt42 here so it probably is - but it struck me that's happened a few times with me, too. (And I'm also weird so, meh).

I didn't know until writing the relevant chapter that my male MC from my previous WIP had been married before, or that he knew how to do certain illegal things...

And with WIP#2 - designed to occupy me for the next month so I don't start editing until I've left WIP#1 for a sufficient length of time - I was quite a few pages into it before one of the male MCs decided he was bisexual, a fact which influences the rest of the story and the group dynamic very strongly, and for the better I think. It certainly goes a long way to explaining why he does what he does...and why he does who he does.

Now I know we often talk about characters coming to life and it can seem a bit wanky. Our characters aren't real, no, but...they should seem as if they could be in my opinion and when they appear to tell us things we didn't previously know, clearly, these 'facts' are coming from our own minds; we'll call it the subconscious...or collective unconscious.

So have your characters ever whispered in your ear things like, "Oh, I forgot to tell you something..." or "Did you know I once...?"

And it's amazing how this drip-fed information works its way into the story to such an extent you reach the end, thinking, "Wow. It wouldn't have worked so well any other way. That all ties in." It's as if certain characters arrive at the story's jumping-off point complete in themselves, but they neglect to make certain confessions until the relevant part of the story.

tt42 often refers to her characters having 'magic feathers' - qualities that make them fly - and that would be a similar subject I think. The tiniest of details that make everything else fall into place and explain their actions and motivations, or add that extra spark to make characters come to life.

So...over to you. Discuss. :D

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Story of my life!!

I had a character startle me with a PhD in Biochemistry today. Didn't see that one coming. Another character had a history as a drug abuser, one had an ex-wife who did more heinous things to him than I'd realized, and another had a, shall we say, "history" with one of the other main characters. WHO KNEW?

Then once in a while they'll come up with witty little lines that make me go "OH! I wish I'd thought of that!" Just today, one did that very thing, but I won't repeat it here, because it's dirty. (both beta readers loved it though)

The "magic feathers" are similar...it's the one thing (usually one thing, anyway) that suddenly gives the character his/her mojo and makes him, as you said, fly. This has come in the form of accents and even...yes...piercings.

I LOVE those moments. When you have that "EUREKA!" moment and the character gets what he needs to be the badass character you knew all along he could be. And, of course, when they randomly say/do something that you didn't expect.

I love the voices in my head. <3 <3 <3

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think you two are starting to lose your marbles.

I like the company.

Enna

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelleschusterman.com
This makes total sense to me! I love it. :)

I finished a first draft and was halfway through revising when a character that I thought was a good little girl informed me that her uncle had taught her how to hotwire a car. Then she proceeded to do it just to prove it. She's a lot cooler now.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Like so many things the subconscious does, this aspect of writing seems miraculous. The brain is an amazing sack of jelly, all right.

On the other hand, maybe the characters really are real. Maybe they plot in their little alternate realities to make us THINK that it's all just our subconscious. They're sneaky buggers, those characters. ;)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mean I'm supposed to know everything before I start writing? Ghods, where's the fun in that?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
So have your characters ever whispered in your ear things like, "Oh, I forgot to tell you something..." or "Did you know I once...?"

Hell yeah. :)

My biggest problem child right now is the hero of my series. He's reticent, doesn't like to talk about the past ever, and getting any sort of info from him (by me or by the heroine) is like cutting a lawn with cuticle scissors. But when I do discover things, they're usually Eureeka! moments.

I just write what the voices in my head tell me to write. :D

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I get this all the time. :)

My most recent two were both when writing my novella. One character decided he was gay, and another decided she had a tail (fantasy, obviously ;) ).

It's one of the many reasons why I love writing so much. :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I just started rewriting my memoir and the MC told me he's a studmuffin.

This stufff works.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
My MC in the Temporarily Lost Misplaced PA Book told me in no uncertain terms she'd never, ever, as in 'no way!', do something the way I'd had her do it. I - fool that I am - ignored her and the biotch would NOT SHUT UP 'til I did it her way. And... she was right, damn her.

I love it when the characters take over. Makes my job that much easier.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
Race is always somewhat of a surprise to me. I had a character who turned out to be Asian with me not realizing it soon enough to keep from having to flesh that angle out during rewrites.

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
My characters seem to write their own chapters. I tend to have only a single plot point that will happen in a chapter when I sit down to write, and a couple hours later I get up from the computer with a finished chapter and have little idea how it came out the way it did. I had two likeable minor characters that I thought would stick around until the end of my story, but in a chapter I recently wrote they both ended up dead, and I had no idea they would die when I began typing.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
And it's amazing how this drip-fed information works its way into the story to such an extent you reach the end, thinking, "Wow. It wouldn't have worked so well any other way. That all ties in." It's as if certain characters arrive at the story's jumping-off point complete in themselves, but they neglect to make certain confessions until the relevant part of the story.

Nicely put.

I wrote about a character for TEN YEARS before I realized she was a lesbian. Six years ago, I was working on a novel with a chapter in her POV, and one sentence in which she was professing her love for her then-boyfriend just didn't sit right with me. Actually, her whole character had seemed kind of blah in the last few pieces I had written in her POV.

I looked at the sentence again, took out the boyfriend's name, substituted her female best friend's name, and ... A-HA! Suddenly that novel was off and running.

It still turned into a trunk novel (the plot was completely absurd), but I have a whole new understanding of her character, and now I'm working on a WIP that's entirely in her POV, and it's going really well.

Reaction score
To pacify Adzmodeus, I feel duty-bound to credit him with calling tt42 "a robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers".

This came after an email exchange in which we boggled - yes, boggled! - at how prolific she is. :D

There. Happeh nao?!

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
To pacify Adzmodeus, I feel duty-bound to credit him with calling tt42 "a robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers".

This came after an email exchange in which we boggled - yes, boggled! - at how prolific she is. :D

There. Happeh nao?!

My love? You haz it. *mwah* :)

Lori's word output scares me. :(

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
Race is always somewhat of a surprise to me. I had a character who turned out to be Asian with me not realizing it soon enough to keep from having to flesh that angle out during rewrites.

You bastard. One of my characters saw this, and now she's decided that she wants to be Asian too. Let's not give them any more ideas, or next thing you know, they'll want jailhouse tats and nipple rings.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
One of my minor characters came out of the closet halfway through the book. I was like, "But dude, why didn't you tell me earlier? That would have helped in some of your other interactions with your fellow characters." It truly is an odd moment, but that's what makes writing so awesome.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a dream last night where a bunch of faces I've never seen (or, don't consciously remember seeing) were waiting as I tried to get cash out of a really complicated ATM thingy. One guy helped by putting in his card and pin, but when it later asked to verify his pin he'd left. And I didn't know it. So I had to start over, and one of the people who was patient until now got up angrily and stormed out, saying "that's it, I'm leaving."

Well I wasn't thinking about that consciously when it happened. My mind created and put into play all these characters I'd never met and didn't forsee their actions. And then I thought, wait, doesn't this happen to me all the time when I'm writing? To a lesser extent, but I think there might be a connection worth mention here between dreaming and whatever it is we do at the computer screen.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
This just in:

My MC wants to "get busy" with SP's MC as Lori's biochemist watchs.

This thread will live forever.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
This just in:

My MC wants to "get busy" with SP's MC as Lori's biochemist watchs.

This thread will live forever.

Haha, I don't blame your "MC", they're both hawt. ;)

On topic-

One of my protagonists wasn't very happy being an angry b*stard all the time, and decided he wanted to funny occasionally. I agreed cos he scares me. :(

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
My characters do that to me all the time. Usually, they let me know about it when I try to make them do something that they wouldn't. Then they speak up and say yeah, about that? Don't think so.

Sometimes it comes out in dialog with other characters. That hurts my feelings. They're not willing to tell me, but they're willing to tell the other characters. Damn them.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
One of my MC's informed me yesterday that she smokes pot, drinks, has plans for body piercings and at least one tattoo, fully intends to seduce the brother of one of her roommates, and can't stand the guy my other MC is flirting with.

Pretty tame stuff. The only problem is that my MCs share a body.

Status
Not open for further replies.