• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The McCarthy Agency

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
maggie, it's historical fantasy based in china.
and apparently, YA, too. haha!
who knew?

the hard fantasy agents are sort of
befuddled by it. which perplexes me in turn.
haha! what about you?

Mine is a historical fantasy, kind of dark (there are a few murders..), it takes place in 1837 with a young widow as the protagonist. I just read some of your blog, and it cracked me up...especially the one about how you imagine yourself at your movie's premiere...I do the EXACT same thing! Lol.

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
She requested a partial from me in a matter of hours after I sent an equery--on a Saturday--so we'll see what happens.

Have you heard from her yet? I'm still waiting on mine.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a partial from her around Christmas time and haven't heard back from her.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I e-queried Shawna McCarthy earlier this week and got a REALLY quick request for the partial. I sent it Priority Mail the next day (hey, free envelopes, delivery confirmation, and the cost isn't THAT much different from regular mail), letting her know in my cover letter that 3 other agents are currently considering partials and another agent is considering the full. I got home today to a very positive email from her requesting the full and asking that I let her know if I get any other offers of representation as she would be very bummed if she lost out over two days. =)

Okay, not bragging, but that's the best feedback I've ever received from an agent, and I've been bouncing around from feeling positive about this project to feeling hopeless, and I just want everyone else out there to know that there IS hope as long as you keep working on your craft and persevere. No matter how many rejections you get or how frustrating the waiting gets.

Now to go buy some more paper since I'm out, and to try and keep my head out of the clouds since this is by no means yet a sure thing. Good luck to everyone else on the query-go-round!

Last edited:

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Yeeeaaaaaa, Kasey! Oh, let your head bang against the clouds a little! This is a good thing. :Hug2:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, not bragging, but that's the best feedback I've ever received from an agent, and I've been bouncing around from feeling positive about this project to feeling hopeless, and I just want everyone else out there to know that there IS hope as long as you keep working on your craft and persevere. No matter how many rejections you get or how frustrating the waiting gets.

Absolutely cool.

Sending good vibes your way!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember if it was already posted, but McCarthy doesn't respond if she's not interested.

Luna V.

Registered
Reaction score
Shawna McCarthy requested partial via snail mail last month. Emailed me the most condescending rejection I'd ever received. Quick turnaround time though.

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
I sent her an e-query last night and received a reply just now for a partial.

This is my first partial request, so I'm very excited! :) I won't get my hopes up though. From what I can see here, she does reject a lot of partials... we'll see how it goes!!!

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
Any experience with The McCarthy Agency?

I've recently sent a partial out to Shawna McCarthy and I was wondering if anyone here has ever dealt with her or her assistant Nahvae Frost? How was your experience--dealing with them?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I haven't dealt with her or her assistant yet. She requested my partial the day after I emailed my query. That was 11/17 and I've yet to hear back.

Good luck on your partial, Kathleen!

GregB

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Shawna McCarthy was one of the first agents I queried. As many others have reported, she requested a partial via email the next day. I sent the partial last Monday; on Wednesday, I got a form request for the full with a personalized postscript saying she wasn't usually this fast, but the mail came during lunch and my partial was on top...

She gets a big thumbs up from me thus far. :)

Last edited:

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I received a form rejection to my partial on 1/13. She responded within her stated time in the initial request.

GregB, congrats on the request for full!

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query March 5, received a response within 12 hours requesting a partial. Still awaiting a response. Keeping my fingers crossed...

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
Received form rejection via SASE postmarked April 1. Alas.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I queried 3/28 and have heard nothing yet.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
No response from a query sent 12/10.

Also a no response from an earlier novel.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar experience - sent query, same day response for partial with synopsis which I have not sent yet, but will tomorrow. I did email her back stating another agent is reading the second draft to her of a full. Looking for backup, but I like Ms. McCarthy's contacts in SFF. I'll let you know how I make out.