Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The McCarthy Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I met Shawna at a party in January; at her urging, I sent her the first chapter in an email. She said that her reading time was running six to eight weeks, but the next day she asked for the first three chapters and a synopsis. Less than two weeks after I sent her that, she asked for the balance of the ms. But now I'm at week nine-and-change and wondering whether (or when) to send some sort of follow-up email. How much extra time is polite, in such cases? Or do I just continue to hold?

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I met Shawna at a party in January; at her urging, I sent her the first chapter in an email. She said that her reading time was running six to eight weeks, but the next day she asked for the first three chapters and a synopsis. Less than two weeks after I sent her that, she asked for the balance of the ms. But now I'm at week nine-and-change and wondering whether (or when) to send some sort of follow-up email. How much extra time is polite, in such cases? Or do I just continue to hold?
    I would wait until three months have passed. Spring is a pretty busy time for agents with a lot of conventions and book fairs. (Not that they aren't always busy, but there is a concentration of events in the spring seems like.) And three months is usually the minimum for nudging on a full request. So, just sit tight for a bit longer.

Best of luck!
    _________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Thank you! I'll take a few (more) deep breaths, then.

I recently queried Shawna McCarthy and received a request for the first ten pages (!!!) of an epic fantasy manuscript. I'm very excited, and also trying to do a little research on her agency. I've been scanning this thread to see about any experiences her clients have had with her, and there doesn't seem to be any recent info. I'm not finding much about her sales as a literary agent except 2005 and prior. Does anyone have any insight as to why the gap to present day? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

Beats me. I know she had a lot of street cred in the 90s. I queried her twice in the last seven years and never got a response, so she's way down my list for future queries.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345