What are you hoping to accomplish in your work?

What are the stakes for you--why write?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampfox

Registered
Reaction score
Because my imagination is taking over the rest of mah brain, and it don't like mah fingers........

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
"None of the above."

I write because I enjoy it, and would quite like to make a living from it. I suppose the closest is "fame and fortune", but I don't care about fame, and I'd be happy making enough money to pay the bills. :)

Reaction score
"None of the above."

I write because I enjoy it, and would quite like to make a living from it. I suppose the closest is "fame and fortune", but I don't care about fame, and I'd be happy making enough money to pay the bills. :)

And the groupies. You want groupies, right?

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
I had a very, very small taste of groupies a few years ago. I was on a panel at a Con in Chicago. After, three members of the audience proceeded to follow me around for the next two hours like they were my best friends. It was creepy as hell.

You can have the groupies. Gimme da cash! ;)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I used to write because I loved it. Now I'm so worn out that I just want to know I didn't waste my life all these years. I haven't created anything new in months, and writing fiction is emotionally draining anymore. Still, I try to slog on because I know deep down if I can get the ball rolling, I'll be something good in life.

Also, I want to make a difference in the world, if possible. And I feel like there are some mistakes I've made in the past that I want to correct.

But writing hurts, all the same. I don't know why. I just know it does.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
I used to write because I loved it. Now I'm so worn out that I just want to know I didn't waste my life all these years. I haven't created anything new in months, and writing fiction is emotionally draining anymore. Still, I try to slog on because I know deep down if I can get the ball rolling, I'll be something good in life.

Also, I want to make a difference in the world, if possible. And I feel like there are some mistakes I've made in the past that I want to correct.

But writing hurts, all the same. I don't know why. I just know it does.

Writing hurts me when I feel something so deeply, so profoundly, that it wrecks me. That's when I can write the best. People don't want just fairy tales with endings of happily ever after--they want answers. We all share common experiences as human beings, some of us, worse than others, but we're all on this boat called the planet earth, so I want my time to have counted for something. Pain is never wasted if you choose to use it instead of just wallow. I'm not saying you are, Sean. I'm saying I do, and I have, but I decided to get pissed off about letting someone else rent space in my head. Now I'm on a better path.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I write because I'm incurably nosy. Writing fiction allows me to ask my characters all sorts of rude questions that I wouldn't dare ask in real life. I love rooting through the lives of other people, even if they exist only in my own head.

Oh, and I'd like to make a living from this too. I find writing to be satisfying work. It's what I was meant to do.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I voted for fame and fortune, I mean, who wouldn't like a little fortune?

Actually, I write so my head doesn't explode.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
And the groupies. You want groupies, right?
1) Publish a few popular books.
2) Attend fan conference.
3) Reveal identity to con girls.
4) ???
5) Profit.

(I just know that's how it'll go...............)

Fun? Whaddya mean, fun? Fun don't pay the bills, boy!
Actually, fun really doesn't pay the bills.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I will say overall happiness and a religion in my honor.

And groupies, why not.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I have got to get away from my co-workers--"that's what she said" comes to mind way too prevalently.

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To escape from the pain of life and in its place give a voice to what I really have to say which is f==k off nay sayers. Satisfaction in creating something I am proud of. Having someone say, "you know that is one way of saying (xyz) I never thought of." or "Your right about that." Or "You Changed my life." or Thank you for (Whatever) It changed my life."
Jane

White-Tean

Illustration Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
white-tean.livejournal.com
Just out of curiosity, does everyone here know why they are writing? I mean, I'm writing, hopefully to make a difference in the world, to live out my own fantasies (I write fantasy mostly), and I find writing is often recreational for me. But there are other reasons to write, other than just to make money. (Besides, if you want money, there are other professions a lot more lucrative, I imagine)
Why do you write? What are the stakes for you?

I chose the truth option. I write because I have a robust imagination and it puts all these ideas in my head and the only way to satisfy and exhaust theses ideas is to follow them and develop them and polish them, because I've read a lot of books I've enjoyed and I need to make sure a book I write will be as enjoyable.

I want to tell these stories that keep forming themselves in my head, and hopefully be able to pursue the writing of them until they're good enough and interesting enough and represent that first spark of an idea I had while containing so much more interesting and clever things than I'd ever even expected.

With that being my main dream with my drive to actually get published isn't that high - sure it would be nice if more people read my work and could give me feedback, but for me the main thing is just getting some satisfactory resolution for these ideas ALL IDEAS IN MY HEAD ALL THE TIME. Must get them out.

But anyway, while it might be nice and interesting to become a published author and then get the drive to write even more stories from the ideas (in my head, have I mentioned them?) it's not my main concern really. I can use InDesign (a program for designing page layouts and whatnot), I'm studying as an illustrator and I know how to bind my own hardcover books by hand, so I can actually make a manuscript into something I can hold as a reasonably attractive corporeal book, so that's an urge I can self-satisfy.

So yeah, I just want to tell the stories I've against my will thought of in good, polished, professional standard, interesting ways.

LAWolf

Registered
Reaction score
My answer isn't an option:

Writing heals me. Writing is the thing that brought me out of a depression. It is the continuity that strings my life together. It is something that everyone in my life has said I do well. It is something that brings me joy (even on the bad days...or the string of bad days). It is something that brings me to connect with my world and reach beyond to explore (a big deal for an introvert like me).

Sure, I'd like publication, but I'm not sure what my goals for publication would be.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
None of the above. It's one of the few desires I have that isn't fattening, doesn't give me lung cancer, and doesn't make me wonder what I did the night before.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I would've picked the Orlando Bloom button, too. :D

Writing has always been a passion for me. It's one of the few things in my life that I'm actually fairly good at.

Having said that, I write because it's in my BLOOD. Because when I'm not writing, I'm thinking about writing.

I had to take a couple months off from writing recently due to an overly busy schedule, and I had actual pangs of longing for it every day. When things finally settled down and I got back into my WIP a couple weeks ago, I wrote 4K words in 3 days -- which is a record for me. I think the most I've ever written is 3K in 3 days. Almost wrote another thousand on the fourth day, too. I guess it REALLY wanted OUT of my head and onto the page. lol!

So for me, writing is all about doing what I LOVE to do (and trying not to suck at it). ;)

:e2point:

Status
Not open for further replies.