• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Deseret Book Co. / Shadow Mountain Publishing

C.T. Richmond

Sloths are awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinetrichmond.com
Yep, they've had a few books on the NYT Bestsellers list. And they have a popular list of MG books: the LEVEN THUMPS series and the FABLEHAVEN series.

Just FYI: Shadow Mountain is a general-trade imprint of Deseret Book, which is owned by the Mormon Church. I've noticed most Shadow Mountain authors are Mormons too. This isn't to say that you have to be Mormon to get published by Shadow Mountain. On their website, it says they are looking for books that generally reflect "traditional Christian values."

thegirlwhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I didn't know the LEVEN THUMPS series and the FABLEHAVEN series are Christian books. They sure don't look like they are. lol

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Shadow Mountain is the general trade imprint of Deseret Book, so they aren't particularly religious-themed books; just something that someone might read for fun and not be generally offended by it. (For example, a novel promoting premarital sex probably won't show up on their list.) They seem to have really exploded in the midgrade fantasy department; seriously, every time I'm at Barnes and Noble they have another book/series on the "just released" shelf.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Just popping this thread up again, wondering if anyone has had any experiences publishing with them. Thanks!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I've submitted manuscripts to both Deseret Book and Shadow Mountain - one to each, if I remember right - and been rejected both times. At least we can say they're not taking just everyone who wanders in off the street :)

I've also spoken to one of their editors on the phone. My mother accosted her on the bus one day (my mom doesn't know a lot about the publishing industry, but she knows enough to be able to tell this woman was reading a manuscript), and she expressed interest in speaking with me when she found out I was a writer with a manuscript requested by multiple agents. We spoke for about half an hour, and I found her to be kind and knowledgeable. The last thing she said to me was, "Well, now you know at editor at Deseret Book, so feel free to get in touch!"

As several others have mentioned, Shadow Mountain published Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series, and Ally Condie, author of MATCHED and CROSSED, published multiple novels with both Deseret Book and Shadow Mountain before seeking an agent. Shadow Mountain in particular seems to specialize in MG fantasy and sci-fi, so if you have a manuscript that fits either of those genres, I wouldn't hesitate to submit it to them.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Krista! MG sci-fi, hm...

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
I'm confused. They have an email address for submissions, but in their guide, it says send a hardcopy of the manuscript with your query via snail mail. Did anyone email their complete manuscript?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm confused. They have an email address for submissions, but in their guide, it says send a hardcopy of the manuscript with your query via snail mail. Did anyone email their complete manuscript?

I think the allowing email submissions is new. I sent them (via email) a query + synopsis and heard back with a request for a partial. I sent that, and the request became a full. All done via email. So it seems email is fine, if it's done that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I sent them a query via the email too and got a confirmation that they received it and will review it, so I think using that email is perfectly fine.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
I sent them a query via the email too and got a confirmation that they received it and will review it, so I think using that email is perfectly fine.

Heaven help us. That email response said they check their submission box ONCE a week and it will take 12-16 weeks before they respond. I just sent a query...

greeneyes

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! :partyguy:

Glad to hear the 12-16 week response time is more of an estimate than a reality.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm a little late to updating, I sent a query, it was about two weeks ago, and then I got a request for a partial about six days later. It's now been about a week so I get to just sit back and wait.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I sent three chapters, back in May. In June, I got a confirmation that it was received, and the wait could be 3-4 months. Haven't heard anything yet...

ETA - congrats to Profen and Victoria! Best of luck on your submissions!

Profen - what sort of wait time did you have, in between requests? Just curious...

Last edited:

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score

I was confused, too. I took a chance and sent three chapters via that email address. I got a confirmation about a month later, saying it's in their queue now.