The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deseret Book Co. / Shadow Mountain Publishing

figuring it all out thegirlwhowrites's Avatar

Deseret Book Co. / Shadow Mountain Publishing

Does anyone know anything about Shadow Mountain Publishing? www.shadowmountain.com

Banned
    Well, one of their books made the NYT bestseller's list, so they must be doing something right.

Sloths are awesome C.T. Richmond's Avatar
    Yep, they've had a few books on the NYT Bestsellers list. And they have a popular list of MG books: the LEVEN THUMPS series and the FABLEHAVEN series.

Just FYI: Shadow Mountain is a general-trade imprint of Deseret Book, which is owned by the Mormon Church. I've noticed most Shadow Mountain authors are Mormons too. This isn't to say that you have to be Mormon to get published by Shadow Mountain. On their website, it says they are looking for books that generally reflect "traditional Christian values."
    Author of AN0MALY (YA alternate history, Scholastic, Fall 2014)
    Repped by Jim McCarthy of DGLM

Blog
    Twitter

figuring it all out thegirlwhowrites's Avatar
    Thanks for your responses. I didn't know the LEVEN THUMPS series and the FABLEHAVEN series are Christian books. They sure don't look like they are. lol

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link to parent company: http://deseretbook.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Shadow Mountain is the general trade imprint of Deseret Book, so they aren't particularly religious-themed books; just something that someone might read for fun and not be generally offended by it. (For example, a novel promoting premarital sex probably won't show up on their list.) They seem to have really exploded in the midgrade fantasy department; seriously, every time I'm at Barnes and Noble they have another book/series on the "just released" shelf.

Just popping this thread up again, wondering if anyone has had any experiences publishing with them. Thanks!

I've submitted manuscripts to both Deseret Book and Shadow Mountain - one to each, if I remember right - and been rejected both times. At least we can say they're not taking just everyone who wanders in off the street

I've also spoken to one of their editors on the phone. My mother accosted her on the bus one day (my mom doesn't know a lot about the publishing industry, but she knows enough to be able to tell this woman was reading a manuscript), and she expressed interest in speaking with me when she found out I was a writer with a manuscript requested by multiple agents. We spoke for about half an hour, and I found her to be kind and knowledgeable. The last thing she said to me was, "Well, now you know at editor at Deseret Book, so feel free to get in touch!"

As several others have mentioned, Shadow Mountain published Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series, and Ally Condie, author of MATCHED and CROSSED, published multiple novels with both Deseret Book and Shadow Mountain before seeking an agent. Shadow Mountain in particular seems to specialize in MG fantasy and sci-fi, so if you have a manuscript that fits either of those genres, I wouldn't hesitate to submit it to them.
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

Thanks, Krista! MG sci-fi, hm...

Shadow Mountain Publishing

Another YA Publisher that's not listed here:

http://www.shadowmountain.com/

Anyone have dealings with them?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    Another YA Publisher that's not listed here:

http://www.shadowmountain.com/

Anyone have dealings with them?
    Pretty sure they have a thread. They're an imprint of Deseret. One of their best sellers is Fablehaven, which is a mega best seller on all the charts.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-25-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: code weirdness

Thanks Profen, I'll check it out.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

practical experience, FTW K. Victoria Chase's Avatar
    I'm confused. They have an email address for submissions, but in their guide, it says send a hardcopy of the manuscript with your query via snail mail. Did anyone email their complete manuscript?
    K. Victoria Chase
    Author of Interracial Romance
    Amazon Amazon UK B&N Sony

Quote Originally Posted by K. Victoria Chase View Post
    I'm confused. They have an email address for submissions, but in their guide, it says send a hardcopy of the manuscript with your query via snail mail. Did anyone email their complete manuscript?
    I think the allowing email submissions is new. I sent them (via email) a query + synopsis and heard back with a request for a partial. I sent that, and the request became a full. All done via email. So it seems email is fine, if it's done that way.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-25-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: code weirdness

I sent them a query via the email too and got a confirmation that they received it and will review it, so I think using that email is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by profen4 View Post
    I think the allowing email submissions is new. I sent them (via email) a query + synopsis and heard back with a request for a partial. I sent that, and the request became a full. All done via email. So it seems email is fine, if it's done that way.
    Awesome. Thank you, Profen! :-) Good luck on your sub!!!
    K. Victoria Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    I sent them a query via the email too and got a confirmation that they received it and will review it, so I think using that email is perfectly fine.
    Heaven help us. That email response said they check their submission box ONCE a week and it will take 12-16 weeks before they respond. I just sent a query...
    K. Victoria Chase

Author of Against Nature John G Nelson's Avatar
    Deseret Book is a Mormon (LDS) book publisher. It'll have to be pass their censors.

Partial request after six days.
    K. Victoria Chase

Congrats!

Glad to hear the 12-16 week response time is more of an estimate than a reality.

Is swimming with creativity frogs AlishaS's Avatar
    I'm a little late to updating, I sent a query, it was about two weeks ago, and then I got a request for a partial about six days later. It's now been about a week so I get to just sit back and wait.

Awesome Alisha! I'm still waiting to hear back on my partial so getting close to a month here...
    K. Victoria Chase

Is swimming with creativity frogs AlishaS's Avatar
    Awesome Alisha! I'm still waiting to hear back on my partial so getting close to a month here...
    Oh wow. So I guess I shouldn't be complaining about my week without a word

I have my fingers crossed for you! And Me!

practical experience, FTW ChelseaWriter's Avatar
    I sent three chapters, back in May. In June, I got a confirmation that it was received, and the wait could be 3-4 months. Haven't heard anything yet...

ETA - congrats to Profen and Victoria! Best of luck on your submissions!

Profen - what sort of wait time did you have, in between requests? Just curious...
    Last edited by ChelseaWriter; 08-07-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Author website

The Chilton Crosse Series -- Painting the Moon, Finding the Rainbow, Seeking the Star -- published by Red Adept Publishing, available at all online venues.

practical experience, FTW ChelseaWriter's Avatar

I was confused, too. I took a chance and sent three chapters via that email address. I got a confirmation about a month later, saying it's in their queue now.

Author website

The Chilton Crosse Series -- Painting the Moon, Finding the Rainbow, Seeking the Star -- published by Red Adept Publishing, available at all online venues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast