Inappropriate clothes for young girls???

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That definitely is an option. How about a burkha?

Clothes make the Jezebel, yep. That head-to-toe sheeting should assure the public of our virtue!

And yes, I'm being bitter and sarcastic here.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It might change your point of view to know 'Juicy' is a (rather well known) brand name, not a slogan: http://www.juicycouture.com/. I have a shirt that says 'Coke' but it doesn't mean I am a drug addict. And putting words on the but is normal for most people under 25ish. Sure, i still find it odd to see Purdue kids with "boiler" across their butt--however I understand they are just identifying with a brand (in this case the university sports teams) and not comparing themselves to a huge piece of iron machinery.

lol I love how people hide behind the brand name as if it's not meant to have a double meaning when pasted on the butt. Come on, be realistic here. Having the word "juicy" on your butt is going to invoke some of the people who see it to consciously think "juicy butt" or "juicy ass."

And that's why it's so popular. Because of the innuendo that's implied, but the overt innocent banner of a "brand name" as an excuse to fall back on.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I disagree. FCUK is a deliberate innuendo. Juicy is a tracksuit brand. If anything it encourages kids to cover up and be active--not wear all that fluffy princess rubbish.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Juicy thing is tacky, yeah, and reflective of one's bad taste in clothing, imo. Doesn't mean you're a slut if you're wearing it. Just means you have no fashion sense.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I don't see the difference, as a writer, James, between "slut" and "slutty". "Slutty" wouldn't exist without the noun. One cannot behave as a slut if there was no such thing as one.

And I agree, even though I would love a perfect world where everyone treated the other with respect, I know that isn't the case. A girl who dresses purposefully to get attention shouldn't be surprised when she gets it. At the same time, attention is different from "asking for it" which I usually assume means "asking for sex". That is a leap of logic. Dressing for attention is dressing so people look at you. Not so people touch you. Heck even lap dancers have a look don't touch policy.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Yeah, "CANES" across the butt is pretty common at UM--for the female students--and "JUICY" is a brand name.

Personally, I have no problem with such things on women. But it is an invitation. An invitation to what? To look. If women are okay with that, why would it bother me?

In fact, all writing on clothing is intended to be read, and is therefore an open invitation to look, imo. Not stare. Just look.

Anything beyond the look that is a problem is the responsibility of the viewer.

That said, I won't allow my 11 year old daughter to wear clothing I think is inappropriate. Nor will I allow her to wear make-up, or do many other things that some girls--and boys--her age may be allowed to do. That's my--and my wife's--choice.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yeah, "CANES" across the butt is pretty common at UM--for the female students--and "JUICY" is a brand name.

Personally, I have no problem with such things on women. But it is an invitation. An invitation to what? To look. If women are okay with that, why would it bother me?

In fact, all writing on clothing is intended to be read, and is therefore an open invitation to look, imo. Not stare. Just look.

Anything beyond the look that is a problem is the responsibility of the viewer.

That said, I won't allow my 11 year old daughter to wear clothing I think is inappropriate. Nor will I allow to wear make-up, or do many other things that some girls--and boys--her age may be allowed to do. That's my--and my wife's--choice.

QFT.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
juicy_shorts_2.jpg
not classy

Fair enough - NOTHING like the ones I was commenting on.

And you know what my clothes normally say about me - they say I can't be arsed deciding what to wear so I just chucked on the first thing that came to hand. They might even say I hate clothes shopping so prefer to wear my clothes till they fall apart :D If I'm wearing shorts it says that actually it's quite warm for the time of year don't you think?

But then, they might also say slut to some people. *shrug* I have no control over that. Their problem, not mine.
And come on, now, you aren't seriously comparing writing on the butt to labels on t-shirts, are you? Or, rather, you don't expect me to take that seriously?
I did clearly state that I was talking about a brand name in small lettering. So I thought you were comparing the two, which would be a fair comparison. I thought it seemed maybe a little excessive to take off the brand names...

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree. FCUK is a deliberate innuendo. Juicy is a tracksuit brand. If anything it encourages kids to cover up and be active--not wear all that fluffy princess rubbish.

So when we come across some of their slogans:

"Go Couture Yourself"
"Kiss My Couture"
"It's Exhausting Being this Juicy"

We shouldn't read anything into that?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Hooters is a brand name, too, but it certainly conjures up associations... esp. when worn as a logo across the chest.

And I don't think owning track suits means a person is more active anymore than merely owning a treadmill does. I think track suits are new-comfy form of sweat suits.

I don't care for things written in large letters across the butt. Word tees, I'm not so bothered by them-- but if it's something suggestive written across boobs, then it's a little different than a unisex tee shirt with a non-suggestive brand name. I know it's the style-- I don't really give a flying fig about 'the style'. I think super-low rise jeans on prepubsecents who don't even have anything to shave in order to wear them are wrong, regardless of 'the style'. Funny thing is, where I buy my jeans, there are racks of jeans that sit extra low and there are also racks of jeans that sit at the hips or even above the hips. And this is in the juniors dept. (Yes, I shop in juniors. It's a long rant, don't ask.) So, just because something is in style doesn't mean it's the only thing to buy.

If appearance didn't matter in first impressions, why are we supposed to dress up for interviews...?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score

That's kind of a naive viewpoint.

I understand that it's a brand. But you seriously don't believe that they didn't realize what the innuendo was when they started putting it on the backside of shorts, do you? I'm sure someone, somewhere was like "Damn, I'm brilliant. People are going to love this because it's an innuendo, but we're really just pasting our brand there."

I don't see the difference, as a writer, James, between "slut" and "slutty". "Slutty" wouldn't exist without the noun. One cannot behave as a slut if there was no such thing as one.

Think of it like this....

Someone can be a grounch. And someone can be grouchy. Everybody, at some point in time is grouchy, but that doesn't make them a "grouch," which is a definition of WHO they are. Not of how they are acting at any particular moment.

Wearing shorts like that is slutty, but it doesn't mean the person wearing them is a slut.

And I agree, even though I would love a perfect world where everyone treated the other with respect, I know that isn't the case. A girl who dresses purposefully to get attention shouldn't be surprised when she gets it. At the same time, attention is different from "asking for it" which I usually assume means "asking for sex". That is a leap of logic. Dressing for attention is dressing so people look at you. Not so people touch you. Heck even lap dancers have a look don't touch policy.

But like I said, when you dress to get attention, you release control of what KIND of attention you are going to get.

Last edited:

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I'll agree with the Juicy shorts being in poor taste at any age, but graphic t-shirts... just about all I own. Friend's hubby had to look closely to read the one that says "Starfleet Academy". Do I care? No.

I own graphic T-shirts are completely different from the logo across the butt. The only graphic T-shirt I've seen so far that I wouldn't let my future children wear had two tootsie roll lollipops crossed across the front with the words lick don't bite. And it was designed to go right across the boobs.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I own graphic T-shirts are completely different from the logo across the butt. The only graphic T-shirt I've seen so far that I wouldn't let my future children wear had two tootsie roll lollipops crossed across the front with the words lick don't bite. And it was designed to go right across the boobs.
I'd like to get some boxers with that design...

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lol I love how people hide behind the brand name as if it's not meant to have a double meaning when pasted on the butt. Come on, be realistic here. Having the word "juicy" on your butt is going to invoke some of the people who see it to consciously think "juicy butt" or "juicy ass."

And that's why it's so popular. Because of the innuendo that's implied, but the overt innocent banner of a "brand name" as an excuse to fall back on.
I agree. If the brand name was Herpes instead of Juicy, girls wouldn't be clamoring to have it associated with their asses.

"What? Herpes is just a brand name."

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Think of it like this....

Someone can be a grounch. And someone can be grouchy. Everybody, at some point in time is grouchy, but that doesn't make them a "grouch," which is a definition of WHO they are. Not of how they are acting at any particular moment.

Wearing shorts like that is slutty, but it doesn't mean the person wearing them is a slut. I'm not arguing with whether you think a woman is a "slut" or just behaving like one. I am arguing that it should be impossible for any woman to be a slut (or exhibit slut like behaviours) because the term shouldn't exist in the first place. As I already said, I don't see the point of its existence. I shall repeat what I said: If a woman sleeps around, then either she's having a good time and who are we to judge, or she's trying to fill an emotional void and then that's just sad. But where people get the idea that she should be condemned by calling her something derogatory, I have no friggin idea.

But like I said, when you dress to get attention, you release control of what KIND of attention you are going to get.

And back to that other thread where many seemed to say that "If you dress that way you're asking for it."

I get it's the real world. I get women should protect themselves (which is an unfortunate truth), but I still don't believe that if you are dressing to get men to pay attention to you that means if they touch you, or god forbid, rape you, that that's your cross to bear because, damn, you wore those "Juicy" shorts. If a woman wearing such shorts is attacked and raped, then yeah, that dude is so going to jail. And that would a tiny bit counter your argument that "you release control of what KIND of attention you are going to get." Maybe in the world of James, but not in the legal one.

Last edited:

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
If we really wanted to stop this trend, we just need to get parents and geezers to stop talking about it, and start dressing that way.

The wilder the better. Embarass those girls with inappropriate attire.

Also, we codgers should all talk constantly about how horrible it is for kids these days to be so modest.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'd make a further comment but I see this thread has already descended into the burka and if you get raped you deserve it territory so there's no point.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd make a further comment but I see this thread has already descended into the burka and if you get raped you deserve it territory so there's no point.

Ha! Another version of Godwin'd, yeah? :D

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

Wow, sorry icerose. Seeing as both those comments were mine. I thought it was an interesting point to make, seeing as one of the gents here posted that lovely disgusting post about modestly dressed girls.

I didn't mean to take us off course, but reading posts where the word "slut" is just casually being bandied about and statements like "when you dress to get attention, you release control of what KIND of attention you are going to get" I felt a need to respond. Didn't realise that would somehow make me the bad guy.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If we really wanted to stop this trend, we just need to get parents and geezers to stop talking about it, and start dressing that way.

The wilder the better. Embarass those girls with inappropriate attire.

Also, we codgers should all talk constantly about how horrible it is for kids these days to be so modest.
You're right.

There's a rather dumpy woman in her 50s who skates at the local rink. She sometimes wears a pair of sweats with "Bootylicious" plastered across the ass. Makes me want to carve my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sorry icerose. Seeing as both those comments were mine. I thought it was an interesting point to make, seeing as one of the gents here posted that lovely disgusting post about modestly dressed girls.

I didn't mean to take us off course, but reading posts where the word "slut" is just casually being bandied about and statements like "when you dress to get attention, you release control of what KIND of attention you are going to get" I felt a need to respond. Didn't realise that would somehow make me the bad guy.

Just know that you were the one that brought it up.

I was in no way, not even slightly implying that "if you're raped you deserve it."

Just as there is a distinct difference between being a slut and being slutty, there is an ever MORE distinct difference between inviting negative attention and inviting rape.

And, as many of the peope here pointed out in the last thread about rape, the way you are dressed or look has nothing to do with the act of getting raped according to all the studies they cited. (you might say I actually learned something from that thread and changed my point of view a bit based on it)