Don't drive in puddles.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I had a job interview this morning. My printer's down so I was going to make a quick run to Staples to get my resume printed, and then I'd be all set. Simple simple?

Well, I took a backroad to fight the traffic, because Staples is on a very busy road but their back entrance is on a side street. The back entrance has a dip which sometimes creates a little puddle. You know the kind that splashes up by your windows like Moses parting the red sea. I've been through it before, no big deal.

I grossly underestimated how much it rained last night. I drove through the puddle and the water went UP TO MY F**KING DOOR. I could barely accelerate enough to get through it. But I and my car emerged victoriously! I was just about to do a victory dance when, just then, in true theatrical fashion, my car began slowing down. I looked in the rear mirror and saw smoke billowing out the back. The steering wheel locked. I swear the engine uttered "Rosebud." And then it was over. The car was dead.

Thank God for AAA, right? As I was waiting for the tow truck, I saw a few other cars turn into the back entrance intending to brave the puddle. But they all saw me a few yards ahead with my emergency flashers on, and did a U-turn out, a bit more educated than when they arrived.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
My car didn't stall, but it darn near floated away once when I did the same thing - grossly underestimated the depth of a "puddle." (More like an insta-lake!) Feeling the wheels almost leave the pavement was one scary moment...

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Thank God for AAA, right? As I was waiting for the tow truck, I saw a few other cars turn into the back entrance intending to brave the puddle. But they all saw me a few yards ahead with my emergency flashers on, and did a U-turn out, a bit more educated than when they arrived.

The good news is that you didn't drink over it.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes the best thing we can be is a warning to others. :) Hope it all turned out okay and didn't cost too much.

Meh, I thought the car was a goner, but it turned out the only real problem was water flooding the oil tank. So the repair shop just gave the car an oil change really.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Out here in Arizona we don't have puddles....much. But we sure have ragging rivers that come out of no where when it rains.....

Sorry about your mishap.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Meh, I thought the car was a goner, but it turned out the only real problem was water flooding the oil tank. So the repair shop just gave the car an oil change really.

I'm glad it turned out Okay.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I had a job interview this morning. My printer's down so I was going to make a quick run to Staples to get my resume printed, and then I'd be all set. Simple simple?

Well, I took a backroad to fight the traffic, because Staples is on a very busy road but their back entrance is on a side street. The back entrance has a dip which sometimes creates a little puddle. You know the kind that splashes up by your windows like Moses parting the red sea. I've been through it before, no big deal.

I grossly underestimated how much it rained last night. I drove through the puddle and the water went UP TO MY F**KING DOOR. I could barely accelerate enough to get through it. But I and my car emerged victoriously! I was just about to do a victory dance when, just then, in true theatrical fashion, my car began slowing down. I looked in the rear mirror and saw smoke billowing out the back. The steering wheel locked. I swear the engine uttered "Rosebud." And then it was over. The car was dead.

Do you live in NJ? That Staples sounds exactly like the one by me.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Yeah-- gotta be careful underestimating those puddles. Cars are not amphibious.

When we went to sign the paperwork and see our new apartment (years ago) it rained and rained. We got in to the parking lot, but there was a rather large pond that formed in the middle of the lot. It was a cheap apartment (next to the railroad tracks, no dishwasher, etc. Cheap.) Anyway, try to get out, drive through the puddle. Cars makes it through, but sputters, splutters and stalls only a few yards away. Once the car dried out a bit, it was fine-- it sucked up water into the air filter. Soaked it so bad that the car couldn't get enough air to make combustion. We learned to drive on the shallow side of the pond. The week before we moved out, they finally repaved the lot (after five years of crawling through this door-deep puddle every rainstorm).

There are other hidden dangers in water when you don't know the depth. You don't know if there's a sharp object or something underneath the water that could damage a tire or car. We lost a hubcap in a edge-of-the-road puddle once. And, of course, you don't know if your car will be able to make it through without serious damage. Go around if possible.

At least you lucked out this time, tomo. =)

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, how did the job interview go?

I called to cancel thinking I'd never make it. But the tow truck got there in 15 minutes, and when I called my mom for a ride home, she was so eager to leave work that she offered to take me to the interview, and I made it 5 minutes early. They were super impressed that I showed up even though I was minus a car, so I think they like me.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That puddle might have been a sign that you should accept the nanny job you were offered recently.

What? Don't you believe in Signs? ;)

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
That puddle might have been a sign that you should accept the nanny job you were offered recently.

What? Don't you believe in Signs? ;)

I was offered a nanny job? Apparently I missed this. If you're referring to the potential nanny job that was dangled in front of me for a month, that woman flaked out and went with daycare.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Out here in Arizona we don't have puddles....much. But we sure have ragging rivers that come out of no where when it rains....
When I lived in Tucson, both 4th and 6th Avenues boasted underpasses with the water depth marked in inches--and feet. IIRC, they topped out at six feet. To a driver unfamiliar with those streets, I'm sure it the standing water might have appeared to be a mere puddle following a rain.

I haven't been back in ages. Wonder if it's still that way. Locals?

Maryn, who lives where the water reaches area streams, rivers, and lakes

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
"We were going to give you the job, but you look like this yokel I saw trying to drive through a 5-foot-deep canal to get to staples this morning."

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I called to cancel thinking I'd never make it. But the tow truck got there in 15 minutes, and when I called my mom for a ride home, she was so eager to leave work that she offered to take me to the interview, and I made it 5 minutes early. They were super impressed that I showed up even though I was minus a car, so I think they like me.

Well, if I were in HR, I'd be very impressed. :) (This coming from the yokel who almost had to row, row, row her Saturn gently down the road... :D )

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
"We were going to give you the job, but you look like this yokel I saw trying to drive through a 5-foot-deep canal to get to staples this morning."

Been there, almost done that - although, in my defense, it had been the main road up until the thunderstorm....

That spot was only twenty feet away from the telephone pole that got hit by lightning while I was sitting next to it, stuck in traffic. I had a nasty moment thinking that pole was going to topple on top of my car from the way it was shaking.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ah, puddles. I was riding in a car with a friend - going through an alley with a puddle. A car passed us and the wall of water came in the open driver's window, passed completely over my friend ... and landed in my lap.

Good luck w/the job, Tomo.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, guys, irony of all ironies. The place I nearly missed the interview with due to the puddle just called and offered me a temporary job covering a maternity leave. So, yay, I get to get off unemployment for a little while!

writeronfire

Like my boots?
Registered
Reaction score
I like to jump in puddles.

Congrats on your job!