Would anyone mind reading my query letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamRothstein

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could critique my basic query letter format. This is just an example, I plan to tailor each to the specific agent to whom I'm submitting. Any and all comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dear Agent,

Archerius is a lonely, Star Wars obsessed high school senior being raised by Roshan, his grandfather. His life is painfully mediocre, until he arrives home one day to find Roshan sword fighting with a mysterious, red-eyed stranger. After witnessing this stranger kill his grandfather, he discovers that he is the heir to the throne of a magical kingdom in the midst of a ten thousand year old war. In the 120,399 words of my action packed fantasy novel, Royal Reclamation, we follow Archerius as he learns about his heritage, the subtle art of magic, as well as what it truly means to lead a nation.

I attended the Columbia University/Jewish Theological Seminary joint program, where I double majored in Film and Jewish History. I am proud to say that at 25, this is my first novel, but I have had three of my short stories published in One Real Story’s Annual Short Story Anthology (March 2009) (https://www.createspace.com/3369508)

***This next paragraph is something specific about the agent to whom I'm submitting, where I talk about why I'm submitting to them. I also plan to use one of their ideal books and find a way to tie it into my own.***

Should you be interested, I would be more than happy to send you my completed manuscript. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me either via telephone: or e-mail:

Thank you in advance for your consideration, and I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Adam P. Rothstein

Anyhoo, I know it's a lot to read, but I'm very new to the process and would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks Again!

-adam

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
"His life is painfully mediocre"

I would drop this bit. In fact I would drop that whole sentence. Also I would add an introductory first para, "Dear X, I am sending you a partial of my novel XXXXX in the hope that it might be of sufficient interest to you for you to consider representation." As it is, it starts rather abruptly.

HTH, Susan

AdamRothstein

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your critique!!!! I will def make the necessary changes.

-adam

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Royal Reclamation sounds very much like a ritzy trash pickup service.

Status
Not open for further replies.