• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Gwendolyn Heasley Literary Agency

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want someone without any agenting experience to practice on my manuscript. Although she did "work in book publishing," she doesn't say where or in what capacity.

And I don't think she does a very good job of selling herself: I am young, and I am new. Many might say these are two reasons to run in the opposite direction. They might be right. Makes me wonder if she could effectively pitch a manuscript: This author is old and unpublished. Many might say these are two reasons to run in the opposite direction. They might be right.

;)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
No agenting experience and she's a fan of McCain and Palin. Not good.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Well, she may not be long on experience, but it didn't take her long to load up on clients. Gwendolyn had wonderful things to say about my submission, but said she isn't taking on any new clients right now.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but just because she suddenly has a whole stable of clients doesn't mean she'll be able to do anything for them. There's no substitute for experience.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but just because she suddenly has a whole stable of clients doesn't mean she'll be able to do anything for them. There's no substitute for experience.

Very true. I was just mentioning this in case anyone had ideas of submitting.

caitysdad

Registered
Reaction score
I sent her a querry because what's the worst thing that could happen? She rejected me because she says she's not accepting any new clients. But I have to tell you, she may have given the nicest rejection in history. Her rejection was full of specific compliments, so you know she read the 10 pages she asked for. She applauded my concept, complimented my characters. It was definitely the first time a rejection brought a smile to my face. If you're reading this, Gwen, thank you

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I sent her a querry because what's the worst thing that could happen? She rejected me because she says she's not accepting any new clients. But I have to tell you, she may have given the nicest rejection in history. Her rejection was full of specific compliments, so you know she read the 10 pages she asked for. She applauded my concept, complimented my characters. It was definitely the first time a rejection brought a smile to my face. If you're reading this, Gwen, thank you

Well, anything from being a complete waste of your time to sending you to a bad press to completely ruining your book with publishers because she doesn't know how to properly submit to them. In that last case, even if you go with a new agent it's likely publishers won't want to look at your work anyway. Seriously, having no agent is better than having an inexperienced one or a scammer. It's not worth it to 'give someone a chance' when they don't have the tools to help you. Nice doesn't sell books - experience does.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score

What's the worst that could happen? You could waste a year and turn a possibly viable book into a trunk novel. Or you could get hooked into some horrible publishing contract. I made the mistake of signing with a new agent and fired her when she got an offer from a POD publisher and didn't see that as a problem. As for rejecting you because she wasn't accepting new clients--if that was actually the case--she wouldn't have read your material and sent a personalized response.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Joined Artists & Artisans in Oct '09 (GtLA blurb here), but per the A&A thread, she was gone by mid-'10.