AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Gwendolyn Heasley Literary Agency

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar

Gwendolyn Heasley Literary Agency

I am curious if anyone has info on this one. They appear pretty new, and I couldn't find info on previous sales.

Here's the link.

http://www.gwendolynheasleyliterary.com/index.html
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Nothing on her site that says she has any publishing experience or clients or sales or anything. Here's her Publisher's Marketplace blurb which is barren.

I say avoid.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

practical experience, FTW mysterygrl's Avatar
    I wouldn't want someone without any agenting experience to practice on my manuscript. Although she did "work in book publishing," she doesn't say where or in what capacity.

And I don't think she does a very good job of selling herself: I am young, and I am new. Many might say these are two reasons to run in the opposite direction. They might be right. Makes me wonder if she could effectively pitch a manuscript: This author is old and unpublished. Many might say these are two reasons to run in the opposite direction. They might be right.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    No agenting experience and she's a fan of McCain and Palin. Not good.

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    No agenting experience and she's a fan of McCain and Palin. Not good.

Sarah Palin is hot.

Just sayin'.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonistan View Post
    Sarah Palin is hot.

Just sayin'.
    Yeah, in a librarian kind of way.
    D.M. Anderson

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Well, she may not be long on experience, but it didn't take her long to load up on clients. Gwendolyn had wonderful things to say about my submission, but said she isn't taking on any new clients right now.
    D.M. Anderson

Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Yes, but just because she suddenly has a whole stable of clients doesn't mean she'll be able to do anything for them. There's no substitute for experience.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    Yes, but just because she suddenly has a whole stable of clients doesn't mean she'll be able to do anything for them. There's no substitute for experience.
    Very true. I was just mentioning this in case anyone had ideas of submitting.
    D.M. Anderson

Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

I sent her a querry because what's the worst thing that could happen? She rejected me because she says she's not accepting any new clients. But I have to tell you, she may have given the nicest rejection in history. Her rejection was full of specific compliments, so you know she read the 10 pages she asked for. She applauded my concept, complimented my characters. It was definitely the first time a rejection brought a smile to my face. If you're reading this, Gwen, thank you
    For The Thing I Have Greatly Feared Has Come Upon Me.
    And What I Dreaded Has Happened To Me.
    I Am Not At Ease, Nor Am I Quiet;
    I Have No Rest For Trouble Comes

Job 3:25; 3:26

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caitysdad View Post
    I sent her a querry because what's the worst thing that could happen?
    What's the worst that can happen? Dude, you don't want to know.

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    I sent her a querry because what's the worst thing that could happen? She rejected me because she says she's not accepting any new clients. But I have to tell you, she may have given the nicest rejection in history. Her rejection was full of specific compliments, so you know she read the 10 pages she asked for. She applauded my concept, complimented my characters. It was definitely the first time a rejection brought a smile to my face. If you're reading this, Gwen, thank you
    Well, anything from being a complete waste of your time to sending you to a bad press to completely ruining your book with publishers because she doesn't know how to properly submit to them. In that last case, even if you go with a new agent it's likely publishers won't want to look at your work anyway. Seriously, having no agent is better than having an inexperienced one or a scammer. It's not worth it to 'give someone a chance' when they don't have the tools to help you. Nice doesn't sell books - experience does.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    What's the worst that could happen? You could waste a year and turn a possibly viable book into a trunk novel. Or you could get hooked into some horrible publishing contract. I made the mistake of signing with a new agent and fired her when she got an offer from a POD publisher and didn't see that as a problem. As for rejecting you because she wasn't accepting new clients--if that was actually the case--she wouldn't have read your material and sent a personalized response.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Joined Artists & Artisans in Oct '09 (GtLA blurb here), but per the A&A thread, she was gone by mid-'10.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: